RE: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Grid Squares - a warning

  • n9wys
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2008

      Unless of course you worked a /MM station… or the Titanic.   <grin>

      BTW – got my rig back from TenTec and I’m anxious to try out the new TCXO mod I had then install in my Omni VI.  I’m hoping it helps with the RX drift issue I’ve been wrestling with.

      Mark – N9WYS

      From: 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com  On Behalf Of Dáithí

      When the minor grid is just a couple of squares off, it's no big deal (all awards are based on major grids anyway). If you have AB12cd instead of AB12ef that's basically the same square (the major grin is AB12)

      It was the wildly incorrect ones that made me sit up and take notice when the HRD mapper showed just where they were - out in the deep Atlantic LOL

      Now just why anyone would even want to put JJ00 as a grid is beyond me in the first place

      73 de Daithi

    • Jesse
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
        In my case QRZ.com had me listed in EL59 of which all but a small
        slice of my town sits in. I'm in the slice that sits in EL49. It was
        annoying when i first got back on the air last spring as EL59 seems to
        be a bit rare since Hurricane Katrina wiped it off the face of the
        earth in 2005 and i had to explain to people i wasn't in EL59. So i
        figured out how to change the locator on QRZ.com. Hamcall.net had the
        Grid correct BTW.

        Point here is it wouldn't hurt to check your grid on QRZ.com and make
        sure it's correct. There's a grid finder on QRZ.com that's pretty
        easy to use.

        ..jesse..
        WB5NPW

        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Dáithí <gi7omy@...> wrote:

        > When the minor grid is just a couple of squares off, it's no big
        deal (all awards are based on major grids anyway). If you have AB12cd
        instead of AB12ef that's basically the same square (the major grin is
        AB12)

        > It was the wildly incorrect ones that made me sit up and take notice
        when the HRD mapper showed just where they were - out in the deep
        Atlantic LOL

        > Now just why anyone would even want to put JJ00 as a grid is beyond
        me in the first place

        > 73 de Daithi
        >
        > On 04/11/2008 02:22:52, Jesse (pjesse_03@...) wrote:
        > > Thanks for the tip Daithi. I have to go back and add grid squares to
        > > my 30 meter contacts and i'll double check them for if/when i ever get
        > > off my lazy duff and submit awards.
        > >
        > > btw, after i changed the address on my license QRZ.com had me listed
        > > in the wrong grid and i had to manually change it to the correct one.
        > >
        > > ..jesse..
        > > WB5NPW
        > >
        > > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Daithi" <gi7omy@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > If you are using HRD/DM780, MixW or any program that accesses
        qrz.com
        > > > be very careful with Grid Squares reported there.

      • johnpess
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 8, 2008

          FYI:

          To find out the exact QTH-Locator by mouse-click use this link:

          http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/fullScreen.php

          You can zoom in onto your roof to find your shack - take the Maidenhead Grid Locator and paste it into your QRZ entry...

          73 es gl de JOHN, OE3JPK

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 8, 2008
            John OE3JPK,

            Good point and good info/link!

            Rob ZL3RG,
            Can we put this in our 30MDG Award page? Maybe have this link and a
            note about checking your current grid to make sure it is correct along
            with this link to check the grid?

            Thanks
            Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
            owner/mod

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "johnpess" <oe3jpk@...> wrote:

            > FYI:
            >
            > To find out the exact QTH-Locator by mouse-click use this link:
            >
            > http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/fullScreen.php
            > <http://f6fvy.free.fr/qthLocator/fullScreen.php>
            >
            > You can zoom in onto your roof to find your shack - take the Maidenhead
            > Grid Locator and paste it into your QRZ entry...
            >
            > 73 es gl de JOHN, OE3JPK
            >

            > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Daithi" <gi7omy@> wrote:
            > >
            > > If you are using HRD/DM780, MixW or any program that accesses qrz.com
            > > be very careful with Grid Squares reported there.
            > >
            > > I recently checked on a plotter map and found THREE stations clustered
            > > in the Atlantic a couple of hundred miles west of Gabon - each of them
            > > (an Italian, an English and an Armenian) all had their LOC listed in
            > > qrz.com as 'JJ00'. That, if anyone is interested, is Latitude 0,
            > > Longitude 0 and is nowhere near where they were supposed to be.
            > >
            > > Just double-check LOC info if you get it from qrz before submitting
            > > for the award.
            > >
            > > What I have done in cases like that is to check the QTH of the station
            > > concerned, look that up in Wikipedia and get the lat/long. I then go
            > > to http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/tools/grids.php and enter that into
            > > the boxes and obtain the correct grid
            > >
            > > 73 de Daithi GI7OMY

          • Daithi
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 9, 2008
              Couple of points here John

              First, the problem I was referring to wasn't my own Grid - it was what
              HRD and MixW were reporting after fetching it from qrz.com. It's the
              other guy who is incorrect and that unfortunately is something that
              there is no cure for except a manual check.

              I tried that program before - unfortunately it's inaccurate (as far as
              my QTH anyway). First of all, it got the street wrong (where I live is
              Rossnareen Avenue - it says it's 'Culmore Gardens'). It also gives me
              a Grid LOC of IO64xn (actually my Grid is IO74ao). At least it's
              better than it was at first when it put me somewhere in the North Sea
              near the Netherlands - HI

              What I do in the original case (of obviously incorrect grid squares
              being received) is the following

              1: Go to www.qrz.com or www.hamcall.net and get the QTH for the callsign

              2: Look up the town in Wiki (I usually google for "<townname> wiki").
              There you can get the latitude and longitude

              3: Go to the Amsat website here and enter the lat and long in the
              boxes (don't forget to check the correct North/South, East/West boxes)