Re : anyone hear SSB tonight ?

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
      There are people who use phone on 30 metres, and they're French, and
      they use a frequency close to 10.140, and they've been chatting on 30
      metres at various times since 1988. There are also some other users on
      10.140 who sound Chinese and they have some really good chats with lots
      of laughing with great hilarity. The other day I heard the sounds of a
      broadcast station also around 10.140.

      In Britain 30 metres is a shared band and that is why SSB is not
      permitted but this doesn't apply to other countries. Australians also
      use the band for phone contacts and I wonder if their chosen frequency
      is 10.140 ?
      There must be something magical about these numbers because every man
      and his dog, seem to have yearnings to do something on it !

      G0GQK
    • Dáithí
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
        Actually Mel, both Region 1 and Region 2 specifically ban all phone usage and also any automatic stations on 30 meters - it's not just OfCom doing it but 2/3 of the world. Region 3 seems to be a complete muddle as to who does what and where - I've tried looking at their band-plans and never could make head nor tail of them LOL

        The French are probably Chicken Boxers anyway (they never worried about band-plans in the first place - I've heard them on 10 and I also believe they did at one stage start using 15, 20 and 40 (totally illegally)

        73 de Daithi

        On 01/11/2008 21:28:10, Mel (gzerogqk@...) wrote:
        > There are people who use phone on 30 metres, and
        > they're
        French, and
        > they use a frequency close to 10.140, and they've

        been chatting on 30
        > metres at various times since 1988. There are also
        some other users on
        > 10.140 who sound Chinese and they have some really
        good chats with lots
        > of laughing with great hilarity. The other day I
        heard the sounds of a
        > broadcast station also around 10.140.
        >
        > In Britain 30 metres is a shared band and that is why SSB is
        not
        > permitted but this doesn't apply to other countries. Australians
        also
        > use the band for phone contacts and I wonder if their chosen
        frequency
        > is 10.140 ?
        > There must be something magical about
        these numbers because every man
        > and his dog, seem to have yearnings to
        do something on it !

        > G0GQK
      • Dáithí
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
          Whoops - I forgot the one exception in Region 1.

          Phone operation IS permitted but only in Africa south of the equator and then only during local daylight hours

          If your bits of wire are aligned east/west you could be picking up some of the former French African colonies

          73 de Daithi

          href="mailto:gzerogqk@...">gzerogqk@...) wrote:
          > > There are people who use phone on 30 metres, and
          > > they're
          > French, and
        • Fields, Larry A, Civilian
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008

              Am I correct on this is Hawaii part of Region 3 or is that Guam . And also as a General class can I operate voice in the region 3 area on say 7085 khz on Guam .

              Just curious on this

            wrote:
            > > There are people who use phone on 30 metres, and
            > > they're
            > French, and

          • Dáithí
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2008
              I think Hawaii is Region 2 - but check here (Region maps)

              73 de Daithi

              On 02/11/2008 01:08:19, Fields, Larry A, Civilian (larry.a.fields.civ@...) wrote:
              > Am I correct on this is Hawaii part of Region 3 or is that Guam.
              And also
              > as a General class can I operate voice in the region 3 area on
              say 7085
              > khz on Guam.
              >

              > Just curious on
              this

              href="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com">30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.

              Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 10:01 PM
            • expeditionradio
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                Now this brings us to the Big Question for 30metre ham radio:

                Q. Do ham radio digital signals create more interference than ham
                radio SSB voice signals to 10MHz Primary Users?

                A. "Yes, digital signals create more interference!"

                At the same signal level, the 100% duty cycle of a constant
                digital signal creates much worse interference than the 20% to 30%
                duty cycle of a normal voice SSB signal.

                Before you kill the messenger... remember, I'm an enthusiastic 10MHz
                digital operator! But, facts are facts. Physics facts are most
                difficult to change by mere personal opinion.

                Here's the story behind the facts of why your super-narrow
                PSK signal might create more interference than if you
                were to simply pick up the microphone and start talking:

                Hams are "Secondary Users" of 10MHz.
                The "Primary Users" of the 10MHz band (Government/Commercial)
                are assigned standard narrowband 3kHz communication channels
                and use modes that make best use of 3kHz transceiver
                bandpass filters. They are not using 200Hz filters.

                Many Primary Users use ARQ digital modes or SSB voice modes for
                communication on 10MHz. So, the constant ham radio 100% duty cycle
                digital signal transmitting for a long time (such as a PSK31, RTTY,
                MFSK, etc) anywhere inside the Primary User's assigned channel
                makes that channel almost totally unusable to them while
                the ham is transmitting. On the other hand, many of the ARQ
                digital modes being used by Primary Users are easily capable of
                working through 25% duty cycle SSB voice QRM.

                There is a lot of misinformation about 30m SSB voice
                activity. 10MHz ham radio SSB voice activity is alive
                and well in the world. It is legal by government amateur
                radio license in the majority of countries of the world.

                I have a valid HF license example on my wall that says I can legally
                transmit any mode on the 10MHz ham band... if it does not interfere
                with a Primary User... and my signal must fit entirely within the
                10100-10150kHz band.

                Some countries have very restrictive mode, bandwidth, or content
                rules. But most countries do not specify mode/bandwidth/content for
                their amateur radio rules and regulations on the ham bands (including
                10MHz). I have a growing personal collection of government regulation
                documents for amateur radio frequency bands, mode, and bandwidth
                assignments... published by various nations in a variety of languages
                and formats. Some are paper documents that need to be scanned. Many
                thanks to operators around the world who have helped me compile this
                collection. Some hams collect QSL cards... I collect frequency lists :)

                Eventually, I will arrange more of these lists in PDF or HTML and
                post them on the web. Some of these government ham radio frequency
                listings are already available for download:
                http://hflink.com/bandplans

                The IARU bandplan committees sporadically publish "voluntary
                bandplans" that can be used by hams of the world. While most of us
                generally support the IARU Regional bandplans, some of the bandplans
                have Very Large Errors, that have not been corrected in years! In some
                cases the errors were generated by hams sitting on bandplan committees
                who did not have a clue about radio standards or existing government
                assignments in their own ITU Region.

                As a glaring example, 90% of the hams in IARU Region 2 cannot and must
                not follow that IARU Region 2 Bandplan, because it would violate their
                own country's government ham radio rules.

                IARU bandplans do not carry "the force of law" but they are often
                loosely observed by operators on the air, or used as a reason to
                complain. As one example, IARU bandplans are totally ignored by
                contest operators, and the practice is considered normal :)

                73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA
                Hong Kong

                .
              • Fields, Larry A, Civilian
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                  Was listening to the PSK 14070 khz and heard a lot of CW on the band in that area was there a cw contests going on.

                  Thanks

                  Larry,n6hpx/mm

                  Enroute to Maui Island

                  _____
                • David Chavez
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
                    Serveral simultaneous contests main one Arrl sweepstakes
                    Dave KO5G

                    Fields, Larry A, Civilian wrote:

                    > Was listening to the PSK 14070 khz and heard a lot of CW on the band
                    > in that area was there a cw contests going on.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Larry,n6hpx/mm
                    >
                    > Enroute to Maui Island
                    >
                    > _____

                  • Fields, Larry A, Civilian
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008

                      Kinda figured something was up as it was all over the place there, some very fast.

                      Larry,n6hpx/mm

                      Serveral simultaneous contests main one Arrl sweepstakes
                      Dave KO5G

                      Fields, Larry A, Civilian wrote:

                      > Was listening to the PSK 14070 khz and heard a lot of CW on the band
                      > in that area was there a cw contests going on.
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Larry,n6hpx/ mm
                      >
                      > Enroute to Maui
                      Island