30M contacts and stuff

  • KI4ITV
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2007
      Hi gang,
      I had a very interesting time on 30 this evening. The band seemed to
      start long, went VERY SHORT for a while, and then long again (for me
      anyway). It all started with Spain and Germany then mid-evening I was
      having QSO's in Virginia and South Carolina, one as close as 73 miles
      away in the mountains north of Charlottesville, VA. The SC station
      being only 300 miles away. I could also barely copy a QSO a friend of
      mine was having less than 17miles away. (Rob ki4mcw) Unusual to say
      the least.
      Beacons copied (first copy from my qth)
      K5LA-2351UTC-100%
      WB4U-2354UTC-100%
      AB9LA-2354UTC-100%
      WB2JEP-0159UTC-100%
      W6CGH-0203UTV-100%
      I briefly spotted VE7GTE and W3ASA around 0220 UTC, not good enough
      copy to try and call. I also saw Nigel G0LWG on at some point-he was
      busy, and dissappeared after a while.
      actual contacts (reversed order)
      6H1GZU-LUIS IN GUADALAHARA, MEXICO 0319UTC (OVER 3100 KM)
      YL2GP-ALEX IN RIGA, LATVIA 0308UTC (OVER 7000KM)
      N5WSU-MARTIN IN SAN ANTONIO-0253UTC (ROUGH COPY)
      K4SC-CHUCK IN YORK, SOUTH CAROLINA 0148UTC
      K4RKQ-ANDY IN EARLYSVILLE, VA O113UTC (ONLY 70 MILES)
      KC0HLN- HEY JERRY! IOWA-0039UTC
      EA7BXR-COLIN IN MALAGA, SPAIN 0017UTC
      DK6NF-NORBERT- IN NOTTRYINGTOSPELLTHAT,GERMANY 0009UTC (OVER 6600KM)
      WB8JAY-DAN- IN PHILIDELPHIA, OHIO (first QSO of the evening)

      So my contacts this evening ranged anywhere from 120km to over 7000km.
      using 30-40 watts and a doublet on 30m. Fun Stuff.

      Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :-)
      Have fun!
      See you on 30m
      Trey-