Vacation Report

  • Edward Cobb
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 8:44 AM
      I am safely in Florida after about 18 hours of very pleasant driving.
      Beautiful wx coming down and Gustav was not a major player in the
      Fort Walton Beach area. Fortunately, Gustav didn't do a great deal of
      damage in the New Orleans area either. We had driven over that way
      last year and there's still a lot of Katrina damage visible over the
      Gulf coast. We'll probably leave Sunday or Monday with an eye on
      Hannah to make sure we don't bump into her on her trip north!

      I kept the HT tuned to 2m simplex all the way down and heard no more
      than 3 people using it ... what a disappointment. With just 5W I
      couldn't initiate many mobile-->base Qso's so next trip I'll put the
      75W Icom in and wake someone up!

      I've not been able to operate yet here. I did get the Buddipole set
      up and validated the equipment to see what I forgot to
      ring...surprisingly, not much. I still have to rewire the SignaLink
      USB to set it for the IC-703 so I haven't validated digi modes yet.

      I am probably not heading for the beach to try operating there...it's
      hot and humid and pretty crowded with vacationers (even though schools
      started back this week). There is a state park just north of here
      (Gannon Rocky Bayou) where I am going to try to set up this afternoon
      or tomorrow. I want to get in some 20m & 40m CW and of course some
      30m PSK...I'll post here and on the spot page when I am sure of
      times...it's hard to squeeze hamming in with other activities :<[

      Hope all are well and that 30m propagation is the best it's ever been!!

      73 de Larry NK2x