30 Meter Beacons........?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008
      GA,
      I received an email from a young Ham in GREECE that would like to know
      if he could put a 30 Meter Beacon on the air...is that legal he asks?
      My understanding is that Beacons are not allowed on the 30 Meter
      Band yet I know there are a few on 30 Meters. I have been written by a
      number of German Hams that they have a number of them and when we
      first started up our 'push' for more 30 Meter activity and an anchor
      of 10.140 +/-1000 the few German Beacons on 30 Meters didn't like us
      being there.

      So my question to the group and for sure any Hams in our group here in
      GREECE is it legal for Beacons on 30 Meters?

      Thanks
      Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
      owner/mod

      *************** below from our 'FILES' section in our group here *****

      30 meter beacons

      10114 N4QA 18mw ?
      10125 KL1IF Springfield MO EM37IE 10 1/4 GP Omni A1 PT
      10130 OK1IF JO40HG 0.5 A1 ?
      10132.0 VE3TO Nr Ottawa FN25EG 5 1/4 Vert Omni A1 24
      MON-FRI
      10134 OK0EF Nr Kladno JO70BC .1/.2/.5 1/2 Vert Omni A1 24
      10135.9 HP1RCP Cerro Jefe FJ09HD 2.5 SlopeDip Omni A1 24
      10139.6 PY3PSI Porto Alegre GF49KX 1.6 Hor. Dip N-S A1 IRREG
      10140.0}sub-audible QRPP/QRSS3 beacons around here
      10140.1}including I1YRB, IW0HK, IK4IDP, G3ZJO, I1DFS,IQ4FJ
      10140.6 DL5KZ Numbrecht JO30SU 0.1 Dipole A1 ?
      10141.8 IK3NWX Nr MonselicePD JN55VF 4.2 Rot. Dip. E-W A1 24
      10144.0 DK0WCY Scheggerott JO44VQ 30 Dipole A1,psk 24zz
      rtty
      10149.7 IZ8BZX Torre del GrecoJN70ES .1/.5/1 whip Omni hi/QRSSEXP
    • Daithi
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008
        Interesting question really. I'd hazard a guess and say 'no': while the bandplan here doesn't specifically mention beacons, it does say 'no automatically controlled data stations (unattended)' and a beacon, by definition, is unattended.

        However, the fact that we are secondary users makes it important that we do not operate in an unattended mode (otherwise how can we be asked to clear the frequency if the need arises?)

        73 de Daithi GI7OMY

        ps - Don, I e-mailed you to the aol address abt the e-mail server. Can you get back to me on that because until I can get access, I can't send or receive on that server

        On 24/08/2008 19:39:27, Don (dhobson123@...) wrote:

        GA,
        > I received an email from a young Ham in GREECE that would like to
        know
        > if he could put a 30 Meter Beacon on the air...is that legal he
        asks?
        > My understanding is that Beacons are not allowed on the 30
        Meter
        > Band yet I know there are a few on 30 Meters. I have been written
        by a
        > number of German Hams that they have a number of them and when
        we
        > first started up our 'push' for more 30 Meter activity and an
        anchor
        > of 10.140 +/-1000 the few German Beacons on 30 Meters

        didn't like us
        > being there.
        >
        > So my question to the group
        and for sure any Hams in our group here in
        > GREECE is it legal for
        Beacons on 30 Meters?

        > Thanks
        > Don kb9umt
        30MDG#0001
        > owner/mod
        >
        > *************** below from our
        'FILES' section in our group here *****

        > 30 meter
        beacons

        > 10114 N4QA 18mw ?
        > 10125 KL1IF Springfield MO
        EM37IE 10 1/4 GP Omni A1 PT
        > 10130 OK1IF JO40HG 0.5 A1 ?
        > 10132.0
        VE3TO Nr Ottawa FN25EG 5 1/4 Vert Omni A1 24
        > MON-FRI
        > 10134 OK0EF
        Nr Kladno JO70BC .1/.2/.5 1/2 Vert Omni A1 24
        > 10135.9 HP1RCP Cerro Jefe
        FJ09HD 2.5 SlopeDip Omni A1 24
        > 10139.6 PY3PSI Porto Alegre GF49KX 1.6
        Hor. Dip N-S A1
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008

          I thought WB3AQN, Larry Putman was running a beacon on 10137.420 Khz, about 10mw.  I guess Larry would not have a beacon going is it was not allowed here in the USA anyway.  It seems that Europe is less restricted on 30 meters then we are.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008
            Actuakky Mike we're MORE restricted on 30..

            Our bandplan states that all we're allowed on 30 is Morse and digital, with a 500 Hz max bandwidth.

            The guys just south of me in EI are even more restricted than that - they're only allowed Morse and NO digital modes

            73 de Daithi GI7OMY

            href="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com">30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.
            > com] On Behalf Of Don
            > Sent:
            Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:39 AM
            > To:
            href="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com">30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com

            > GA,
            > I received an email from a young Ham in GREECE that would
            like to know
            > if he could put a 30 Meter Beacon on the air...is that
            legal he asks?
            > My understanding is that Beacons are not allowed on the
            30 Meter
            > Band yet I know there are a few on 30 Meters. I have been
            written by a
            > number of German Hams that they have a number of them and
            when we
            > first started up our 'push' for more 30 Meter activity and an
            anchor
            > of 10.140 +/-1000 the few German Beacons on 30 Meters

            didn't like us
            > being there.
            >
            > So my question to the group
            and for sure any Hams in our group here in
            > GREECE is it legal for
            Beacons on 30 Meters?

            > Thanks
            > Don kb9umt
            30MDG#00
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008

              Daithi,

              I was thinking more the real European Continent, France etc. I guess they can use phone on the band.  When I was a kid in the UK no one ever told me I was a European, they taught me Europeans lived across the other side of the English ChannelJ

              I know the UK and Ireland has the most restricted Ham Laws, I remember the 400 watt limit, which I guess is still the case even now, I guess most of Europe can run 1kw plus.

              Mike

              From: 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Daithi

              Actuakky Mike we're MORE restricted on 30..

              Our bandplan states that all we're allowed on 30 is Morse and digital, with a 500 Hz max bandwidth.

              The guys just south of me in EI are even more restricted than that - they're only allowed Morse and NO digital modes

              73 de Daithi GI7OMY

              On 24/08/2008 19:53:40, Mike (noddy1211@...) wrote:

              > I thought WB3AQN, Larry Putman was running a beacon on 10137.420 Khz,
              > about 10mw. I guess Larry would not have a beacon going is it was not
              > allowed here in the USA anyway. It seems that Europe is less restricted on
              > 30 meters then we are.
              >
              > Mike

            • Daithi
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 24, 2008

                From the IARU Region 1 bandplan - not that different to the Brit one really

                "Digital Modes Except packet

                News bulletins on any mode should be transmitted on the 10 MHz band"

                Daithi

                From: 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.
                > com] On Behalf Of Daithi
                >

                > Actuakky Mike
                > we're MORE
                restricted on 30..

                > Our bandplan states that
                all we're
                > allowed on 30 is Morse and digital, with a 500 Hz max
                bandwidth.

                > The guys just south of me in EI
                are even more restricted than that - they're only allowed Morse and NO digital modes
              • Cliff KU4GW
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 25, 2008
                  There already is a beacon project on 30 Meters. It's called PropNet.
                  See http://www.propnet.org/

                  --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                  > GA,
                  > I received an email from a young Ham in GREECE that would like to know
                  > if he could put a 30 Meter Beacon on the air...is that legal he asks?
                  > My understanding is that Beacons are not allowed on the 30 Meter
                  > Band yet I know there are a few on 30 Meters. I have been written by a
                  > number of German Hams that they have a number of them and when we
                  > first started up our 'push' for more 30 Meter activity and an anchor
                  > of 10.140 +/-1000 the few German Beacons on 30 Meters didn't like us
                  > being there.
                  >
                  > So my question to the group and for sure any Hams in our group here in
                  > GREECE is it legal for Beacons on 30 Meters?
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Don kb9umt 30MDG#0001
                  > owner/mod
                  >
                  > *************** below from our 'FILES' section in our group here *****
                  >

                  > 30 meter beacons
                  >
                  > 10114 N4QA 18mw ?
                  > 10125 KL1IF Springfield MO EM37IE 10 1/4 GP Omni A1 PT
                  > 10130 OK1IF JO40HG 0.5 A1 ?
                  > 10132.0 VE3TO Nr Ottawa FN25EG 5 1/4 Vert Omni A1 24
                  > MON-FRI
                  > 10134 OK0EF Nr Kladno JO70BC .1/.2/.5 1/2 Vert Omni A1 24
                  > 10135.9 HP1RCP Cerro Jefe FJ09HD 2.5 SlopeDip Omni A1 24
                  > 10139.6 PY3PSI Porto Alegre GF49KX 1.6 Hor. Dip N-S A1 IRREG
                  > 10140.0}sub-audible QRPP/QRSS3 beacons around here
                  > 10140.1}including I1YRB, IW0HK, IK4IDP, G3ZJO, I1DFS,IQ4FJ
                  > 10140.6 DL5KZ Numbrecht JO30SU 0.1 Dipole A1 ?
                  > 10141.8 IK3NWX Nr MonselicePD JN55VF 4.2 Rot. Dip. E-W A1 24
                  > 10144.0 DK0WCY Scheggerott JO44VQ 30 Dipole A1,psk 24zz
                  > rtty
                  > 10149.7 IZ8BZX Torre del GrecoJN70ES .1/.5/1 whip Omni hi/QRSSEXP

                • pa3gwh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 25, 2008
                    --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <noddy1211@...> wrote:

                    Hi Mike,

                    on 30 meters it's 400 W, secundary based usage, morse code and digi
                    (max 500hz bandwidth) only here in Holland.

                    400 W is our legal limit on any band btw!

                    Richard PA3GWH