Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: Great circle maps etcetera

  • Dáithí
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2008
      A bit like me - directly to my north (about 1 Km is a very large chunk of granite about 200 metres higher than my QTH with a quarry and a TV transmission mast sitting on top of it. It always did cause a slight problem (especially on 2 metres) for any working from about NNE to NNW LOL

      73 de Daithi

      href="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com">30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [link:

      title="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com CTRL + Click to follow link" href="mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com">mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com], "Mel" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

      > > Hello
      everyone,

      > > Some interesting observations Darin,

      I've also observed that on
      > > occasions one or two stations are in the
      same footprint. Its happened
      > > with two stations in Canada, in a path
      one behind the other, it also

      > One of the big observations I
      made when I started plotting my QSOs on
      > google earth is that I rarely
      get spain or portugal... My ability to
      > contact those countries is
      substantially reduced just west of the
      > french/german border.
      >
      > If you start at the western edge of the bulk of my European
      QSOs
      > (around Marseilles) and draw the great circle path to my house,
      you
      > will find that the line passes right along the 500 kV electric
      towers
      > that run behind my house. In fact, if you continue that line
      along
      > the towers and keep going straight, it ultimately passes just east
      of
      > New Zealand.
      >
      > I am certain that the presence of 100m
      tall high-voltage lines that
      > extend in a straight line for a few km in
      either direction from my
      > house has a pretty noticeable effect on my
      propagation.