Re: New Hams and Technology on 30 metres

  • Darin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 21, 2008
      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Dan Romanchik KB6NU
      <cwgeek@...> wrote:
      > People are amazed that we still do Morse Code, but I've never gotten
      > the comment, "Isn't it better with computers." I go on to explain why
      > using Morse Code is advantageous in some situations, but perhaps more
      > important, how much fun it is. There's no need to be apologetic about
      > operating CW!!

      I get that all the time, and I give an explanation that's probably
      quite similar to yours. Every mode has its advantages and
      disadvantages... something else I try to explain, and I spin CW as a
      mode that is very appropriate for some communication, and less useful
      in other situations, just like voice, or PSK, or whatever. But the
      truth is, most visitors think morse code is antiquated - appropriate
      for a museum, perhaps, but not something they want to do.

      More to the point, a lot of people think amateur radio is all about
      morse code, even though code hasn't been a requirement to get a
      licence in Canada for nearly 20 years. There's definitely a
      perception issue that hasn't broken through a literal generation of
      people here in Canada. It's why a make some considerable effort to
      push the more modern aspects of the hobby to museum visitors and at
      public events (don't expect to hear me on CW on field day :) you
      might at night, but not likely during the day when people are
      around... if it's 7-10 wpm, I actually have a key in hand, if it's 25
      wpm it'll be DM780).

      I feel that if we can get people writing their exam and getting their
      licence, they'll do the CW if they're interested... but I've not seen
      that showing CW to people, especially young people, really floats
      their boat.

      Oh, I should mention the other question I get a lot... "Why is this
      better than CB?" The first few times I got asked that, I was
      surprised that there were still people who used CB at all in Canada.
      Generally, it's an easy question to answer for anyone who is
      interested in radio and technology.