Carolina Windom for 30 meters?

  • Dave VA3KAB
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
      Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we got to
      talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me that he
      is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't need a
      tuner to get a match.
      I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is anyone
      else in the group using one?

      73, ~Dave VA3KAB
    • Barry
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
        > Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we got to
        > talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me that he
        > is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't need a
        > tuner to get a match.
        > I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is anyone
        > else in the group using one?
        >
        > 73, ~Dave VA3KAB

        Hello, I do have a Carolina Windom 80s, but I would need to use a tuner with
        it on my IC 706 11G.
        I prefer for 30m etc to use a hustler 6-BTV, no tuner required.
        Barry, MØIOW.
        30 MDG #0013
        www.30metergigital.org/
      • wayne sargeant
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
          hi.
             im using a halfsize g5rv 40>10m up about 20ft.
          great results all the time on 30m after 23.00hrs.haqd a qwso with a guy on the faroh islands last night.even got an eqsl card from him.
          im using a yaesu ft897d with a tranzmatch manual tuner.no probs.
          regards wayne m3uez 30mdg #0593

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
            Hi Wayne,

            I am using a G5RV here too for 30 meters along with an AT-200Pro
            tuner. It seems to do a reasonable job, however I can't help but
            think that with the high SWR the antenna has on this band I'm wasting
            a lot of power in the tuner. But I have nothing to compare it to, so
            can't say for sure.

            73,
            ~Dave VA3KAB

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wayne sargeant"
            <waynesargeant@...> wrote:

            > hi.
            > im using a halfsize g5rv 40>10m up about 20ft.
            > great results all the time on 30m after 23.00hrs.haqd a qwso with a
            guy on
            > the faroh islands last night.even got an eqsl card from him.
            > im using a yaesu ft897d with a tranzmatch manual tuner.no probs.
            > regards wayne m3uez 30mdg #0593
            >

            > On 6/20/08, Dave VA3KAB <blues1954@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we
            got to
            > > talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me
            that he
            > > is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't
            need a
            > > tuner to get a match.
            > > I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is
            anyone
            > > else in the group using one?
            > >
            > > 73, ~Dave VA3KAB

          • Phil KD7ZD
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
              Hi Dave,

              I use a G5RV Jr. up about 20 feet at home. That's about all the room I
              have. On all bands except 30 I can tune out all reflected. On 30 the best
              I can do is about 1.8:1. Works though.

              When I'm portable in the travel trailer, as I am now, I use a Hustler mobile
              whip on top of the trailer. I have resonators for 20,30 and 40 on right
              now. Can't be working to bad. I got my first European PSK contact
              yesterday using this antenna.

              Have fun.

              Phil
              KD7ZD

              > I am using a G5RV here too for 30 meters along with an AT-200Pro
              > tuner. It seems to do a reasonable job, however I can't help but
              > think that with the high SWR the antenna has on this band I'm wasting
              > a lot of power in the tuner. But I have nothing to compare it to, so
              > can't say for sure.
              >
              > 73,
              > ~Dave VA3KAB
              >
              > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wayne sargeant"
              > <waynesargeant@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> hi.
              >> im using a halfsize g5rv 40>10m up about 20ft.
              >> great results all the time on 30m after 23.00hrs.haqd a qwso with a
              > guy on
              >> the faroh islands last night.even got an eqsl card from him.
              >> im using a yaesu ft897d with a tranzmatch manual tuner.no probs.
              >> regards wayne m3uez 30mdg #0593
              >>

              >> On 6/20/08, Dave VA3KAB <blues1954@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we
              > got to
              >> > talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me
              > that he
              >> > is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't
              > need a
              >> > tuner to get a match.
              >> > I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is
              > anyone
              >> > else in the group using one?
              >> >
              >> > 73, ~Dave VA3KAB
              >> >

              > ------------------------------------
            • wayne sargeant
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                Hi Dave va3kab.
                                       i dont have a high swr on the 30m band.it goes to 1.2swr and sometimes even goes right down to nothing.i do have a sgc239 auto atu as well but i havent got it rigged up as yet,but i had one before and they are a great tuner.so see if you can get one.the only power i use is 10watts and even sometimes only 5watts depending on the conditions.
                so hope to hear from you again dave.take care 73's wayne m3uez.
                look me up.

                <waynesargeant@...> wrote:

                > hi.
                > im using a halfsize g5rv 40>10m up about 20ft.
                > great results all the time on 30m after 23.00hrs.haqd a qwso with a
                guy on
                > the faroh islands last night.even got an eqsl card from him.
                > im using a yaesu ft897d with a tranzmatch manual tuner.no probs.
                > regards wayne m3uez 30mdg #0593
                >

                > On 6/20/08, Dave VA3KAB <blues1954@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we
                got to
                > > talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me
                that he
                > > is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't
                need a
                > > tuner to get a match.
                > > I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is
                anyone
                > > else in the group using one?
                > >
                > > 73, ~Dave VA3KAB

              • K4ECP/Jim Kunowsky
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                  I use one...a 160 special - with an IC-746PRO with the internal tuner.  Never tried it without.

                  73,
                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                    --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "K4ECP/Jim Kunowsky"
                    <K4ECP1@...> wrote:

                    > I use one...a 160 special - with an IC-746PRO with the internal
                    tuner. Never tried it without.

                    > 73,
                    > Jim

                    Thanks for the info Jim, that implies that the SWR of your Windom is
                    at least as good as 3:1, probably lower, for you to be able to tune
                    it with your internal tuner. In contrast the SWR of my G5RV on 30
                    meters is higher than 5:1, not usable without an external tuner.

                    I might put one up next week and see how it performs, I've got all
                    the bits and pieces I need here to build one I think.

                    Thanks to all who replied :)

                    73,
                    ~Dave VA3KAB
                  • Dáithí
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                      I'm using the Radio Works 80 Special here - it does need an atu for WARC bands tho and for 80, but it is a very short one

                      73 de Daithi

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008

                        Yes, it is hard to believe a Windom would give a low SWR, my 160 certainly does not on 160, maybe 3:1  but it does give a fairly low SWR on one band usually the next band up from the lowest band it was cut for, someplace on 80 meters in my case.  I suppose you could get lucky and have a low SWR on 30 meters, but not mine though, it is about 3:1.   If I had a 1:1 SWR on this antenna I would think it had become a dummy load and something was wrong.

                        Mike

                        From: 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Barry

                        > Just had a great QSO on 30 meters with a ham in arkansas and we got to
                        > talking about antennas, one of my favorite subjects. He told me that he
                        > is running a Carolina Windom on 30 meters, and that he doesn't need a
                        > tuner to get a match.
                        > I didn't realize a Carolina Windom would work on 30 meters, is anyone
                        > else in the group using one?
                        >
                        > 73, ~Dave VA3KAB

                        Hello, I do have a Carolina Windom 80s, but I would need to use a tuner with
                        it on my IC 706 11G.
                        I prefer for 30m etc to use a hustler 6-BTV, no tuner required.
                        Barry, MØIOW.
                        30 MDG #0013
                        www.30metergigital.org/

                      • wulfeku1
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                          I have not found any favorable SWR specs when using "standard cut"
                          Windoms, Carolina or otherwise, when used on 30 meters. I use a 160
                          meter windom and the SWR measured on my LP-100 meter is 6:1 or
                          worse. The other even band windoms reveal similarly elevated SWR in
                          the literature. You'll likely find that you'll have to use the
                          transmatch to avoid major issues with your transmitter. The
                          following URL reveals a good scientific evaluation of SWR and the
                          issues on power. The loss isn't so much with the antenna not being
                          reasonant, but with the automatic power reduction most modern-day
                          rigs have to protect their finals. Being that a windom style of
                          antenna is simply based on a dipole, why not cut yourself a dipole
                          for 10.130 MHz and you'll cover the entire 30 meter band with no
                          worries? Make it an inverted V and you'll have omnidirectional
                          propagation for the most part. Remember that if you are using
                          a "tuned" antenna not cut for the band of desired operation, you'll
                          be faced with funky mixes of nodes/peaks of signal propagation. You
                          might find the nodes on 30 meters very frustrating rather than
                          advantageous, tuner or not.

                          Have fun experimenting.

                          73 de Lou, W8LEW

                          --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dave VA3KAB" <blues1954@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Thanks for the info Jim, that implies that the SWR of your Windom
                          is
                          > at least as good as 3:1, probably lower, for you to be able to tune
                          > it with your internal tuner. In contrast the SWR of my G5RV on 30
                          > meters is higher than 5:1, not usable without an external tuner.
                          >
                          > I might put one up next week and see how it performs, I've got all
                          > the bits and pieces I need here to build one I think.
                          >
                          > Thanks to all who replied :)
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > ~Dave VA3KAB

                        • wulfeku1
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 20, 2008
                            Forgot the URL... sorry

                            http://www.cvarc.org/tech/standwave.html

                            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "wulfeku1" <wulfeku1@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I have not found any favorable SWR specs when using "standard cut"
                            > Windoms, Carolina or otherwise, when used on 30 meters. I use a
                            160
                            > meter windom and the SWR measured on my LP-100 meter is 6:1 or
                            > worse. The other even band windoms reveal similarly elevated SWR
                            in
                            > the literature. You'll likely find that you'll have to use the
                            > transmatch to avoid major issues with your transmitter. The
                            > following URL reveals a good scientific evaluation of SWR and the
                            > issues on power. The loss isn't so much with the antenna not being
                            > reasonant, but with the automatic power reduction most modern-day
                            > rigs have to protect their finals. Being that a windom style of
                            > antenna is simply based on a dipole, why not cut yourself a dipole
                            > for 10.130 MHz and you'll cover the entire 30 meter band with no
                            > worries? Make it an inverted V and you'll have omnidirectional
                            > propagation for the most part. Remember that if you are using
                            > a "tuned" antenna not cut for the band of desired operation, you'll
                            > be faced with funky mixes of nodes/peaks of signal propagation.
                            You
                            > might find the nodes on 30 meters very frustrating rather than
                            > advantageous, tuner or not.
                            >
                            > Have fun experimenting.
                            >
                            > 73 de Lou, W8LEW

                          • m1ebu
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 21, 2008
                              Hi,
                              I also have G5RV Jr. 40-10m... one end is on the chimney of my house
                              about 23 feet high sloping down to the end of my garden to a 10 feet
                              high pole,i would say the slope angle is approx 35 degrees or
                              so,antenna runs south (23"high) to north (10"high).On 30m with using
                              LDG-Z100 i can get SWR of 1:1 @ 25watts most of the time on first go
                              unless its been raining then several tries are needed, SWR too high
                              with out atu.Just of late after 23:00hrs DX is good can hear and
                              speak to most of you guys across the pond and further..I have some
                              pictures of my QTH with antennas in the garden on my website,take a
                              peek if you get a chance...

                              www.m1ebu.piczo.com

                              73's de M1EBU Warren 30MDG#585