Re : 30 metre band changing

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14 1:49 PM
      It would be nice if the band did change, at least a little bit, for
      the better.! I recall I had a contact with Daithi during the winter
      months, I think its one of those freaky things which happen now and
      again, like chatting to someone 30 miles away on 17 metres.

      Even the boys in the US are having a chunter about 6 metres because
      its doing the same as all the other bands, in and out in a flash.

      I was reading some of the recent comments on Antennas at mailman one
      was this, that "in itself altitude has virtually no effect on
      propagation, and there is no difference betwwen 3,000 ft and 700 ft
      ASL for HF" I dont agree. Both 700ft and 3,000 ft are high places,
      they should try 90 feet ASL such as is my location and they would
      most certainly see a difference. Here's an example, many years ago an
      Irish chap in the Wicklow mountains used to chat to a friend of mine
      on a hill called Mow Cop, north of Stoke on Trent. He was about 500
      feet ASL, the chap on a mountain in Wicklow, I don't know,but at a
      good height I suspect. I tried to make contact but unfortunately he
      could barely hear me using a two element beam on 10 metres. Height
      does matter, but excessive height makes no difference !

      I've taken a rest from 30 metres at the moment because I only keep
      seeing the same "local stations" in Europe and looking at the 30
      metres spots there doesn't seem to be much activity between me and
      distant parts.

      Best wishes and kind regards to everyone, Mel G0GQK
    • Mike, K6BR
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14 2:15 PM

        Height really does not make a difference at HF, but location does.  It is easy to get confused between a good HF location at a higher elevation and good location at sea level; many people live at sea level, so more data is available for the low lying areas.  Less people live at the higher elevations; it just could be they are in a poor location.  I travel around the country here in California and often see a huge improvement between locations just a few miles apart at sea level and at higher elevations, so location is the key i.e. whatever is under the ground is important.  One thing that is consistent for me though is that the lower elevations play better on HF.  I have found that being less 200 yards from the ocean works the best as you would guess.

        Mountains have been the worst locations for me on HF; I regularly head over the mountains from Sacramento to Reno, Nevada.  The worst thing about being in the mountains is that there are always higher mountains around you blocking your signals.

        I have some hills about 5 miles from me at 3,000 feet (you might call them mountains) and I hear signals weaker there than on my drive, which is 17 feet ASL.

        73 Mike K6BR, G0EYI

[...]

      • Dáithí
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14 3:59 PM
          As someone who lives at about 300 foot asl (roughly one quarter up the side of a big chunk of granite) it does help a bit. However it has the drawback of a very poor path to the north (granite tends to attenuate the signal just a bit - LOL)

          It's not even height so much as location. There is a spot close to me (and not a lot higher) which was always fantastic on VHF. I used to sit there when I was a class B operator and work 2 metres with a 40 Watt Yaesu and a 3/8 over half colinear and a Yugo 45 as a ground plane. In summer months I did work simplex from Belfast to Cahir (south Tipperary) and could also hear the Cork repeater (over 200 miles away). I did work that 'guy in the Wicklow hills' - if it's the same one, he was a member of an Garda Siochana (a cop).

          btw Barry, I did see you earlier on the waterfall - solid S9 signal and then I worked Billy in Norwich (G3FEW) - he was coming back here at 10dB over 9.

          Later on there was a bit of DX - two Venezuelan stations in the log plus Puerto ico just before midnight local

          73 de Daithi, GI7OMY

          Message 4 of 4 , May 14 4:46 PM

                        Daithi,

            I should have added that I am mobile a lot of the time on HF, before I ever move to my next location you can be sure I will be driving around looking for one of those HF hot spots before I buy a place.  Sometimes I see as much as 4 to 5 S points better in some locations than others, it seems to depend what the ground is made of and how high the water table is.

            Where I live now is exceptional, if I drive north across town one mile signals are down 2 S points, my friend and I who lives one mile north of me hears stations 2 S points less than I do and he has the same radio set up and same antenna at the same height as I do, the only thing different is our towers.  As the Real Estate people say “Location Location Location”

            Mike