Re: Wire Antennas

  • Bruce W. Ellis
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2008
      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, Wb2lmv <wb2lmv@...> wrote:

      > For years I have enjoyed experimenting with various wire antennas. I
      have just recently gotten up a 425 foot loop antenna. I was very
      pleased to find that by using my tuner I am able to tune it to most of
      the HF bands. I tried it out on 30 meters this morning and although I
      was not able to get an answer to my CQ using PSK31, I did get picked
      by the KB9UMT robot and was immediately auto posted.
      > Now I have decided to run QRP so if anyone prints me on 30 meters it
      will be from a 5 watt signal. I have always had good results using
      oversized wire antennas. Whether I was able to get up an end fed wire
      (sometimes zig zagging it) or a loop, or dipole they all worked well.
      I also found that I must keep the power under 20 watts using such an
      antenna system. It seemed that if I went over 20 watts then I would
      have RFI or RF feedback or some other problem.
      > Give it a try yourself, and if you already have tried such an
      antenna, what was your findings?
      > 73 all, Glenn (WB2LMV)

      I have a 450' (approx.) loop running through the trees, varying from
      10' to 30' up. I bring the ends through the wall of a detached garage
      and then to a choke balun on RG8 cable consisting of ferrite toroids
      that slip over the coax ( two BA-8 balun kits from Palomar Engineers)
      and then to an MFJ 929 Intellituner. There then is a 100' run of the
      non-contaminating version of RG8 from the garage to the house and then
      to the shack. It tunes up nicely on 160-10 m. and works well. I've
      always wanted to try a big loop like this and finally have the real
      estate to put it up. I run 50w to it from an Icom 756Pro3. It works
      better since I put the choke balun on the antenna side of the tuner.
      The balun should keep stray RF out of the shack.
      73 Bruce W0BF