Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Antenna Poll?

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
      Directional - fixed direction (like dipole)

      Inverted V cut for 40 meters - apex @ 25 feet.

      PhilW de KA1GMN

    • alazia2003
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
        The setup here in South Carolina is a pair of "New" Carolina
        Windoms. The first with ENE – WSW Broadsides is cut for 80 meters and
        has a 20' vertical radiator (the "New" in Carolina Windom) and hangs at
        55 feet on the ends. The second has NNW – SSE Broadsides is cut for 40
        meters with 10' vertical radiator and hangs at 45' on the ends. Most
        often used is the ENE – WSW 80 meter, but both are switched for easy
        A/B comparison.

        FYI, I recently replaced my ENE – WSW G5RV with the Carolina Windom.
        The difference was about +2 Icom S-units (IC-746PRO) for European sigs
        on 30 & 20 meters. I attribute the increase to the Vertical Radiator
        capturing the lower angle sigs.

        Chuck K4SC
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2007
          Larry NK2X,

          I have the Poll entered and we will leave it going for a few weeks
          and see if those that might not have answered direct via forum
          message posts will go to the Polls area and vote on what antennas
          they are using. I also thought I might add what times the members
          here are more radio active to the Poll.

          I have to say that I have made more 30 meter PSK contacts in the last
          few weeks than I have for the last year and have monitored lots of
          signals even if I didn't make a contact. It is amazing how some of
          the folks are surprised that they can tune an antenna not really cut
          for 30 meters yet do very well on making some contacts (i.e. a few
          folks I know are just tuning their 40 or 80 meters dipoles, some
          using 20 meter vertical with tuners, some even using restricted
          random wires with tuners). I would think those with dedicated 30
          meters antennas might be less than others using multiband antennas
          and I also think there will be very few with yagi or higher gain
          antennas just dedicated for 30 meters..some but very few I would
          guess. I think the more I'm on 30 meters the more interesting the
          band is getting to me...open most anytime day or night to much of
          N.A. and DX can open most anytime but seems to mainly late at night
          like 40 (then again my main operating time is at night)...it's much
          less noisy than 40 meters...less interference than 40 meters...seems
          to be open like 20 most times but no one is using the band...can go
          from 599 to nothing at times in minutes...etc etc interesting).

          I will vote in the Poll on what antenna I'm using and my most active
          radio times but also to let you know here I'm using a Butternut HF9V
          Vertical as primary and my secondary antenna is a 80 meter wire loop
          ladderline feed stright to tuner (I also might try to muster up a
          rotatable dipole on top the tower or maybe a delta loop
          wire..switching from 2 or more antennas can be very interesting and
          actually one might make a difference between a contact and no
          contact). BTW, like Stan K9SWX pointed out even a modest station can
          and will make contacts, one just needs to be willing to try! I have
          made a number of PSK 30 meter contacts using a random wire running
          just above the ground, or using my rain gutters, or a smaller 24x20
          loop inside the garage attic. Any antenna is better than no antenna
          and trying and making contacts is much more fun than reading the
          posts about others that are!

          Thanks for the post Larry, good stuff.

          de kb9umt Don
          EN50dp - moderator
          (also moderator/owner of http://www.HamRadioHelp.com group that
          posted the previous Polls incorrectly here...again sorry!)