Re: Antenna Poll?

  • n3oxdan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4 10:17 PM
      I use a 60 foot tall vertical with a base matching network for 30m
      (also use it on 40, 80, 160)

      Dan
    • Phil Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5 1:13 AM
        Directional - fixed direction (like dipole)

        Inverted V cut for 40 meters - apex @ 25 feet.

        PhilW de KA1GMN

      • alazia2003
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5 6:16 AM
          The setup here in South Carolina is a pair of "New" Carolina
          Windoms. The first with ENE – WSW Broadsides is cut for 80 meters and
          has a 20' vertical radiator (the "New" in Carolina Windom) and hangs at
          55 feet on the ends. The second has NNW – SSE Broadsides is cut for 40
          meters with 10' vertical radiator and hangs at 45' on the ends. Most
          often used is the ENE – WSW 80 meter, but both are switched for easy
          A/B comparison.

          FYI, I recently replaced my ENE – WSW G5RV with the Carolina Windom.
          The difference was about +2 Icom S-units (IC-746PRO) for European sigs
          on 30 & 20 meters. I attribute the increase to the Vertical Radiator
          capturing the lower angle sigs.

          Chuck K4SC
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5 8:34 PM
            Larry NK2X,

            I have the Poll entered and we will leave it going for a few weeks
            and see if those that might not have answered direct via forum
            message posts will go to the Polls area and vote on what antennas
            they are using. I also thought I might add what times the members
            here are more radio active to the Poll.

            I have to say that I have made more 30 meter PSK contacts in the last
            few weeks than I have for the last year and have monitored lots of
            signals even if I didn't make a contact. It is amazing how some of
            the folks are surprised that they can tune an antenna not really cut
            for 30 meters yet do very well on making some contacts (i.e. a few
            folks I know are just tuning their 40 or 80 meters dipoles, some
            using 20 meter vertical with tuners, some even using restricted
            random wires with tuners). I would think those with dedicated 30
            meters antennas might be less than others using multiband antennas
            and I also think there will be very few with yagi or higher gain
            antennas just dedicated for 30 meters..some but very few I would
            guess. I think the more I'm on 30 meters the more interesting the
            band is getting to me...open most anytime day or night to much of
            N.A. and DX can open most anytime but seems to mainly late at night
            like 40 (then again my main operating time is at night)...it's much
            less noisy than 40 meters...less interference than 40 meters...seems
            to be open like 20 most times but no one is using the band...can go
            from 599 to nothing at times in minutes...etc etc interesting).

            I will vote in the Poll on what antenna I'm using and my most active
            radio times but also to let you know here I'm using a Butternut HF9V
            Vertical as primary and my secondary antenna is a 80 meter wire loop
            ladderline feed stright to tuner (I also might try to muster up a
            rotatable dipole on top the tower or maybe a delta loop
            wire..switching from 2 or more antennas can be very interesting and
            actually one might make a difference between a contact and no
            contact). BTW, like Stan K9SWX pointed out even a modest station can
            and will make contacts, one just needs to be willing to try! I have
            made a number of PSK 30 meter contacts using a random wire running
            just above the ground, or using my rain gutters, or a smaller 24x20
            loop inside the garage attic. Any antenna is better than no antenna
            and trying and making contacts is much more fun than reading the
            posts about others that are!

            Thanks for the post Larry, good stuff.

            de kb9umt Don
            EN50dp - moderator
            (also moderator/owner of http://www.HamRadioHelp.com group that
            posted the previous Polls incorrectly here...again sorry!)