Re: [30meterPSKGroup] "HELL" of a weekend

  • Sholto Fisher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2008
      Hi Del and all,

      The Hell Sunday seemed to go a bit better than the other modes we tried
      in terms of participation- I thank everyone for going to Hell for a
      while and I have to admit Del's 10W was doing a great job at this QTH.
      Made me feel ashamed to be running 100W!

      I worked a total of 6 Hell stations and managed to check in to the FHC
      net via a relay from Jake, K5WTA (in FL no less) and also helped Mike,
      KF6JEP QNI via double relay with Jake!!. I could print the NCS (Lou
      W8LEW in Lansing, MI) 100% but he had difficulty with my print. Crazy
      propagation this 30m band has sometimes.

      Tentatively for the next event (April 27) I am proposing JT65 for the
      chosen mode. I say tentatively because I am aware that there is an
      imminent release of MultiPSK with native JT65 support but it's not quite
      ready yet. If it looks like it is going to be delayed I might bump JT65
      to the month after. I think this is a good idea because I personally
      find it easier to use JT65 in MultiPSK than the WSJT app and I suspect a
      few people on this list would too! There's nothing wrong with the WSJT
      application but if you are not used to it you might conclude it has a
      steep learning curve and not bother!

      So all being well I will update the JT65 page soon and post links. Andy
      K3UK already has a nice WSJT oriented page for folks who prefer to use
      that application (and read about the JT65 mode in general).

      You can see it here:
      http://www.obriensweb.com/bozoguidejt65a.htm

      If I do bump JT65 the chosen mode will be Olivia instead.

      On to other matters.

      Regarding the 30m spot page and the issue of too many auto-spots.. I am
      aware that sometimes the page gets very busy with the auto-spotting and
      my preferred solution will be to split the page so that there is a
      normal "chat" window and a separate listing of detected spots. My
      problem is I have very little time right now to do this (and do it
      justice) so I ask everyone to bear with me and I will do it as soon as
      my schedule allows. Work commitments are taking their toll!

      I have been wondering about making the "chat" window an IRC channel with
      an embedded java IRC client on the page - for those tech savvy hams
      reading this do you think this is workable? is java a requirement that
      would be too much for a page like this? I really like the "realtime"
      feel of IRC and thought it might be interesting to try it.

      All I would ask the auto spotters is that if you notice the page is
      rapidly filling with duplicates from yourself and other spotters then
      use your judgment as to taking a break, switching to another autospot
      mode (eg RTTY) or increasing the program's squelch to cut down on the
      number of spots. I realize this is not the best thing but until I can
      change the method of duplicate callsign checking from multiple spotters
      it is the only way of cutting down the spots.

      Although it might be irritating to see your personal message getting
      scrolled off the bottom of the page quickly - I view it as a good sign
      for 30m and until we started this project I had no idea there was as
      much activity on this band as WE ARE ALREADY SEEING! and at the sunspot
      minimum too. It bodes well for 30m with the new cycle.

      As usual thanks to Don and everyone for making the 30MDG club one of the
      most exciting and interesting AR clubs out there.

      Question to you Don: When the new cycle hits in force are you tempted to
      incorporate 17m & 12m too! especially 12m.... fantastic band when it's
      open worldwide.

      All for now.

      73 Sholto
      KE7HPV.

      ad7ki wrote:
      > Hey all,
      >
      > Well, I had a fun Sunday playing with Feld Hell. I had never worked this mode before, and find
      > it kind of interesting.
      >
      > The Sunday mode of the month deal is very cool. I have learned about some new stuff and it's
      > all because of this group.
      >
      > Thanks to KE7HPV for being my first Hellschriber contact ever, and also W7IXZ for being my
      > second. I worked Sholto with only 10 watts.
      >
      > Thanks for a great group that helps exploration.
      >
      > Greetings from WY
      > Del AD7KI, 30 MDG#0387
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity nights, also when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Sholto KE7HPV
      >
      > http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
        I've got to agree with Del, enjoyed playing with Feld-Hell this past
        Sunday. I had also never used this mode and found that it seemed to
        work very well for me with relatively low power (about 30 watts) off
        of a dipole strung in my attic. It's nice to be able to try the
        different digital modes, I often find myself coming across signals I
        haven't heard/seen before and do a lot of head scratching trying to
        figure out what they are. Nice to learn what the different modes look
        and sound like, and a lot of fun to actually get to use them. Looking
        forward to more fun on 30 meters!

        73
        Ken AD5QB 30MDG #035