The meaning of QRL

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
      Its very unfortunate that at the present time with heavy QSB, stations
      are calling CQ and then vanishing from the screen, and then not being
      able to see who's on the band. Probably like me, all I'm seeing are
      two traces but then I'm told there is heavy QRM in Europe, or that
      somebody is calling CQ on top of me, but I'm completely unaware of the
      station.

      If I find that a reasonably rare station has replied to my CQ, I know
      that there will be many people calling that station, so I always move
      frequency so that others can have a chance of a contact. These days a
      station is around for 5-7 minutes and then they vanish. But I've found
      many times that there are those who are not as thoughtful and
      immediatly send a QRZ knowing very well that others are not queueing
      up to contact an EA1 or a UA3, but they are not prepared to let others
      have a contact on their frequency. I never did get possessive about a
      frequency because there's plenty of spare ones around. Incidentally,
      not being a morse man QRL means nothing to me, oh dear, a traitor !

      Kind regards, Mel G0GQK
    • Dáithí
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
        QRL? Just means 'Is the frequency in use?' is all  and if someone fires a string of QRL QRL QRL it means they are in QSO and you're coming in on top of the other station and QRMing it out of existence  - HI

        The bands are very odd these days - either there's bad QSB and nothing much is heard or stations are piling in on top of each other (no happy medium). I worked Laurie VK3AMA twice - but can't get the US or NZ. Barry gets them but he's half a skip closer

        I also noticed the the NL spotter never sees me - just stations I've been working

        But where, oh where, are the SA stations - I need just ONE to get WAC on 30 (and never even get a sniff of one)

        73 de Daithi GI7OMY
        On 07/03/2008 22:54:49, Mel (gzerogqk@...) wrote:
        > Its very unfortunate that at the present time with heavy QSB,
        stations
        > are calling CQ and then vanishing from the screen, and then not
        being
        > able to see who's on the band. Probably like me, all I'm seeing
        are
        > two traces but then
        > I'm told there is heavy QRM in Europe,
        or that
        > somebody is calling CQ on top of me, but I'm
        > completely
        unaware of the
        > station.
        >
        > If I find that a reasonably
        rare station has replied to my CQ, I know
        > that there will be many people
        calling that station, so I always move
        > frequency so that others can have
        a chance of a contact. These days a
        > station is around for 5-7 minutes
        and then they vanish. But
        > I've found
        > many times that there are
        those who are not as thoughtful and
        > immediatly send a QRZ knowing very
        well that others are not queueing
        > up to contact an EA1 or a UA3, but
        they are not prepared to let others
        > have a contact on their frequency. I
        never did get possessive about a
        > frequency because there's

        plenty of spare ones around. Incidentally,
      • James Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
          Not all QRM is intentional.  Earlier today I was watching a CT station calling CQ right on top of another QSO.  I am sure if he had seen the QSO he would have moved to another frequency.  The bummer for me was I need CT for WAS EQSL but it would be highly rude (rude isn't strong enough) to respond to a station calling CQ while a QSO is in progress on that frequency.

          73 K6WRJ

          On 07/03/2008 22:54:49, Mel (gzerogqk@btinternet .com) wrote:
          > Its very unfortunate that at the present time with heavy QSB, stations
          > are calling CQ and then vanishing from the screen, and then not being
          > able to see who's on the band. Probably like me, all I'm seeing are
          > two traces but then
          > I'm told there is heavy QRM in Europe, or that
          > somebody is calling CQ on top of me, but I'm
          > completely unaware of the
          > station.
          >
          > If I find that a reasonably rare station has replied to my CQ, I know
          > that there will be many people calling that station, so I always move
          > frequency so that others can have a chance of a contact. These days a
          > station is around for 5-7 minutes and then they vanish. But
          > I've found
          > many times that there are those who are not as thoughtful and
          > immediatly send a QRZ knowing very well that others are not queueing
          > up to contact an EA1 or a UA3, but they are not prepared to let others
          > have a contact on their frequency. I never did get possessive about a
          > frequency because there's
          > plenty of spare ones around. Incidentally,

          Warning: This email may contain confidential or privileged information
          intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
          addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please understand
          that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents
          of this email is strictly prohibited.

        • Dáithí
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
            Oh I agree it's not intentional - but if one of the stations in the QSO sends QRL then the 'offender' should know to QSY and not keep calling.

            In my case the guy who kept calling on top actually called me afterwards when I was calling CQ - so he HAD to have heard me in the first place ;)

            After all - how many of us would just fire out a CQ in phone without asking first 'Is the frequency in use?' - so why do it here? It takes maybe 20 - 30 seconds to listen, then send a QRL?, wait another 20 - 30 seconds and if there's no RF, sure call out - it costs all of a minute to be polite HI

            73 de Daithi, GI7OMY

            On 07/03/2008 23:42:31, James Wilson (james@...) wrote:

            Not all QRM is intentional.  Earlier today I was watching a CT station
            > calling CQ right on top of another QSO.  I am sure if he
            had seen the QSO
            > he would have moved to another frequency.  The
            bummer for me was I need CT
            > for WAS EQSL but it would be highly rude
            (rude
            > isn't strong enough) to respond to a station calling CQ while a
            QSO is in progress on that frequency.

            > 73 K6WRJ
            > -----
            the frequency in use?' is all  and if someone fires a
          • W8OKN
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2008
              True, however, I can sometimes hear the other station, even though they may not hear me.  I've had stations call CQ and never hear my response.  So, if I had been the one calling CQ, I suppose that I would not always hear the station I may interfere with.

              We all have been on either side of this situation and should be careful not to throw the first stone.

              W8OKN

              .