Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re : South American contacts - Batman is here !

  • Sean Gilbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
      Well, I've yet to hear a propnet beacon, but we live in hope! I do however
      monitor the NCDXF beacons (using the Faros software), but that doesn't help
      with 10MHz propagation.

      As for contests, well I do love 'em BUT I do object to RTTY (sometimes CW -
      and I've even heard SSB!!) trampling over the international beacon
      frequencies. I really don't see what all the fuss is about the propnet
      beacons, from what I gather they don't cause harm to anyone - much less than
      the automated Pactor stations that pop up on top of a QSO seemingly without
      a care.

      Anyway that was off topic so I apologise!

      I realized that the list of stations I sent in are not all the ones I have
      heard because they are just new callsigns in my log (I am avoiding 'dupes').
      I did hear PY5JO and ZP6VT yesterday, so there are 2 more for the collection

      Do we have members from Asia? There seems to be a lot of activity on PSK
      from Kazakhstan in particular so it might be worth asking the 'UN' guys if
      they are interested in joining.

      73 de

      Sean Gilbert, G4UCJ - G4001SWL

      Digital Monitoring Station: GB969101

      Aylesbury, Bucks. IO91OT

      Email: g4ucj@... or doctordx@...

      Web: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g4ucj

      RX: IC756PRO, CI-V, SEM Multifilter

      ANT1: Wellbrook ALA330s @ 12m agl, fixed NNE/SSW

      ANT2: Vectronics AT100 for MW/NDB

      EPC (European Phase Shift Keying Club): #008L; #015L

      DMC (Digital Modes Club): #990; #016SWL; #017SWL

      30MDG (30 Metre Digital Group): #463L; #464

      BDM (Belgium Digital Modes Club): #003R

      BCS (Belgium SSTV Club): #255; #R15; #R16

      OBC (Olivia Club Belgium): #054; SWL#004

      PODXS (Penn-Ohio DX Society) 070's: #139

      Feld Hell Club #322
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
        GM,

        Thanks Mel G0GQK 'aka Batman'hihi...very much apprecited the calls to
        give me a start. Also a thank you to Jeff VA3XQ, Sean G4UCJ -
        G4001SWL and the few that also emailed me direct for you lists of
        digital ops/calls from Centrl & S America. I will try to get a start
        on this tomorrow to email some direct and hope others might have some
        to give also (or again, S. American Clubs, Websites, etc larger
        groups would help also).

        Is there anyone in the group that could help me translate
        my 'Invite/Welcome' email/letter to those in S. America in their
        native language? I have used the online translator for our 30MDG
        website and it is no good and a literal translation but I need
        someone that speaks or can translate Spanish in a way that is
        suitable for those that speak Spanish...anyone? Would be much
        appreciated if so...email kb9umt@...

        de kb9umt Don 30MDG#0001
        note: we have a 'hit' map on our 30MDG homepage so after we give an
        effort to invite/include those digital ops in Central & S. America we
        can see on the maps if they check in to check our 30MDG out! BTW,
        ANYONE wanting to help get the word out it would be much
        appreciated...simple invites to those Central & S. American digital
        ops in your logs will do.

        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mel" <Gzerogqk@...> wrote:

        > Hello Don,
        >
        > You asked about PSK users in South America here are some to get you
        > started.
        >
        > LU5DEM Eduardo FF88
        > LU3HR Fernando FF76
        > LU6EC Ricardo GF03
        > LU6EDC David
        > LU8HGI Juan FF97
        > LU5DB Gustavo GF11
        > LU6DEZ Hector
        > LU9HZM Carlos FF78
        > LU9HGW Silvio FF99
        > LU6DAT Jaunto
        > PY2UN Alex GG66
        > PY7XC Jim HI21
        > PY2SRB Silvio GG48
        > PY2DN Roberto GG66
        > PY5JO John GG54
        > CX6VM GF27
        > CX4CR Mario GF15
        > CX2AQ Ron GF15
        >
        > Just read the comment from Sean G4UCJ about contacting Daithi. Its
        > almost impossible to contact anyone in Ireland, I was fortunate one
        > day when the band went short and we had a contact, but it doesn't
        > happen often. Its as interesting to me to see how short contacts can
        > be as the other way, my previous shortest contact on 30 metres was
        Paris.

        > I was reading the RTTY mail on Contest.com a little earlier, and the
        > RTTY operators seem miffed at the Propnet beacon which they regard
        as
        > being an extreme problem which is affecting their activities. One
        has
        > to smile at their "brass neck", a British expression indicating
        scorn.

        > I fail to see how RTTY ops. can complain about a transmission 31 hz
        > wide which pops up every five minutes ! Unless, of course, they're
        > running 1500 watts !! Often they don't appear at all in Europe. Not
        > wishing to add coal to the fire, but it would be helpful if some
        RTTY
        > operators in Europe made a little more effort to avoid what little
        > band space PSK operators use, and allow us to operate without
        > interference from an alien mode.
        >
        > Kind regards, Mel G0GQK

      • Barry
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hello Don
          the only contact I have that might be any good is Luis KP4DS from Puerto
          Rico who was using PSK31 on 40 meters yesterday.
          Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
          www.30metergigital.org/
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
            Thank you Barry M0IOW for your reply.

            We do have a few Central and South American digital ops in our 30MDG
            group but for the most part a small percentage compared to NA, EU, OC
            so I just think it would be nice to try to include more of them and
            see what that mix would be like on the 30m and propagation to them or
            others.

            Luis KP4DS is already a member here and does get on the 30m digi band
            off and on.....

            30MDG# Call Name Grid State/Country
            0083 KP4DS LUIS FK68WE PUERTO RICO

            Thank you again Barry

            de kb9umt Don

            --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <Barry@...> wrote:

            > Hello Don
            > the only contact I have that might be any good is Luis KP4DS from
            Puerto
            > Rico who was using PSK31 on 40 meters yesterday.
            > Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
            > www.30metergigital.org/

          • Dáithí
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
              Actually Barry, Luis is classed as North America (Puerto Rico is IOTA NA-099) - the K4 callsign is usually enough to spot that it's an FCC issued one

              I still need a SA sattion myself to get WAC on 30. I have them on 40 and 20 (but don't have OC there)

              73 de Daithi

            • Barry
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2008
                Many thanks Don, that is another 30MDG# in the log, I didn't pick it up in
                our QSO.
                73
                Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
                www.30metergigital.org/

                > Thank you Barry M0IOW for your reply.
                >
                > We do have a few Central and South American digital ops in our 30MDG
                > group but for the most part a small percentage compared to NA, EU, OC
                > so I just think it would be nice to try to include more of them and
                > see what that mix would be like on the 30m and propagation to them or
                > others.
                >
                > Luis KP4DS is already a member here and does get on the 30m digi band
                > off and on.....
                >
                > 30MDG# Call Name Grid State/Country
                > 0083 KP4DS LUIS FK68WE PUERTO RICO
                >
                > Thank you again Barry
                >
                > de kb9umt Don
                >

                > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <Barry@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Don
                > > the only contact I have that might be any good is Luis KP4DS from
                > Puerto
                > > Rico who was using PSK31 on 40 meters yesterday.
                > > Barry, MØIOW. 30 MDG #0013
                > > www.30metergigital.org/
                > >

                > Please join in on Thursday and Sunday Night 30mtr PSK activity
                > nights, also when in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page
                > made possible by Sholto KE7HPV
                >
                > http://www.projectsandparts.com/30m/
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Barry