Re Frequencies

  • Bernard Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 2:14 PM
      Hi,

      Although we digital people have been urged by the guru's to quote the actual
      Radiated Frequency when arranging skeds, and not the "Dial" (suppressed
      carrier) frequency, it seems that many people still quote the Dial Frequency
      without saying so.

      While Radiated Frequency is the important thing, that too needs saying, to
      avoid confusion.
      Personally I don't mind which way the frequency is quoted, as long as I'm
      told which way it is.

      So for example, it is no hardship to say "USB Dial 10.140 MHz + 1500 Hz", or
      whatever, for those who want to quote the Dial reading.

      For those of us who prefer the actual RF, it is easy to work out and say
      "10.1415 MHz (Radiated). This is fine for Narrow Band modes like PSK31 or
      Hellschreiber etc. For the wider band modes like MFSK16 etc it would
      normally be the idling frequency that is given.

      73
      Bernard G3SMW
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17 5:48 PM
        Hi Bernard G3SMW,

        Thanks for that post and you have good advice (sorry if I have
        confused anyone, I'm usually just excited to be on the bands making
        contacts). I'm no guru at anything but I enjoy Ham Radio and digital
        modes so as you suggested I'm at 10.140 USB +1000hz to +1500hz or at
        10.1410 to 10.1415...which as you say might be good for exact
        radiated frequency if skeds...this isn't 20 meters PSK so you will
        not see 10 or 20 PSK signals/traces so my guess is if your dial is at
        10.140 and you are using USB which I think we all are to use for PSK
        no matter the band you will see my signal in your waterfall area if
        the band conditions allow it (so far I haven't had to fight for a
        spot on 30 meters). I have rarely copied more than a few PSK 30
        meter signals on the band at once, although last night there were 4
        PSK signals all at once while I was on the band, was nice to see
        that. Hope to work you soon, I appreciate your information but if
        you put your dial on 10.140 or you radiate frequency at 10.141 as
        long as you are there and radiating with the band conditions with us
        I will be looking up and down so I hope to see your signal! Thanks
        again

        de kb9umt Don
        EN50dp - moderator
        Don't mean to confuse anyone, just get on the air and on 30 meters
        PSK dial at 10.140 USB or your radiated signal at 10.140 +1000hz to
        +1500hz or 10.141 to 10.1415...main thing is to give it a try and get
        acitve at it

        --- In 30meterPSKGroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bernard Spencer" <bjcs@...>