SSTV

  • john
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 3, 2008
      Don ur signal was strong S9 but I could not hold the picture,it would
      go to auto on recv then start agn.It could be the freq dif.,I tried to
      go to each side by 100hz but not enough time.ur SSTV is the first I
      have copied.I need more experience I think with narrow band
      SSTV....John aa2af
    • VE3FAL-Fred
      Message 48 of 48 , Feb 21, 2011
        What I have done is used clothes line wire in the trees I wish to hang my
        wire. I then attach it to the antenna at the point I wish to bring up, I
        then tie bricks or some kind of weith to the bottom of the clothes line so
        it will sway in the tree with very little pulling of the antenna it self. We
        have very tall poplar , spruce and pine trees in my area, and I find the
        plastic coated clothes line wire because it does move will not grow into the
        tree like robe or other tiedowns will do..

        Fred
        YouKits Canada Rep.
        http://www.youkits.com
        CIW649/VE3FAL
        CFARS Member
        SATERN Member
        SATERN Amateur Radio Liaison Officer Great Lakes Region
        http://www.satern.org
        DEC Amethyst District ARES
        http://www.thunderbay.emergencyradio.ca/

        On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 01:08:31 +0000
        Scott Currier <scott_currier@...> wrote:

        I haven't got the perfect solution but after years of using copper wire
        for
        antennas I have come to the conclusion that you don't use copper wire with
        supports that move. Everytime I had a problem, the antenna wire broke, not
        the
        rope.

        I now use copper clad steel wire and a lot of extra rope.

        I also let the antenna hang down a bit rather than pull it tight.

        The idea is that the copper clad steel is strong and the extra rope is to
        allow for stretching if the trees move in opposite directions.

        Rather than having the antenna break to spare the rope, I'd rather have
        the
        rope stretch and the whole setup remain up in the trees. If something is
        going
        to break, I'd prefer it to be the rope.

        I had a email conversation with a small antenna mfg, I forget who he was,
        but
        he was offering an antenna I was interested in but it was made of copper
        rather than steel wire and he didn't or wouldn't do a version with copper
        clad
        steel wire so I didn't buy it.

        The antenna I have now came as copper wire but it is a single wire design
        so
        I just ordered enough copper clad steel wire and rebuilt it.

        All my antennas now will be made with the copper clad steel.

        Took me a long time to learn something so simple. Oh well.

        73 all and good dx.

        Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
        From: djch-yahoo@...
        Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 00:26:12 +0000
        Subject: Re: [30MDG] Re: Antenna in swaying tree, was : SSTV

        Daithi

        I second the idea of bungee cord. It has a limited life in sunsine, but I
        get
        several years each....

        Using a weight is a bad idea, in that if the tree hits a sudden gust the
        weight can free fall, and then it snatches as the wire goes tight (or
        alternatively the antena holds the tree still for a moment for the other
        direction of gust...) Both generate avoidable shock loads in the winds we
        get.
        (I fear bungee would fail to operate if it was soaking wet and then it froze
        solid, so might be a problem in severe winters. But then, the pulley may ice
        up, or the wires.)

        73

        --David

        --