Re: [30meterPSKGroup] Re: 30M modes and 'beacons'

  • David
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
      Hi Alll...of course CW or Morse Code is digital....it takes at least 2 'Digit als' from your hand to operate it.....HI HI

      David VK4BDJ

      zl1gbb wrote:

      Morse is not (normally) generated by a machine. Wish it was, some
      morse is rendered almost unreadable by variations in timing that
      operators appear to think nothing of.
      My definition of Digital is that you require a machine to generate
      and decode.

      Graeme zl1ta

      --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com, "cpcohen1945"
      <cpcohen1945@ ...> wrote:

      > Dan --
      >
      > I hate to be picky, but you've shown that International Morse isn't
      > _binary_ mode.
      >
      > You haven't shown that it isn't a _digital_ mode.
      >
      > My own opinion (FWIW) is that it does qualify as "digital", even
      > though it's not easy to decode it with a computer. There's no
      smooth
      > variation of the signal amplitude or frequency (as with analog
      speech
      > over SSB, AM, and FM). "On/off keying", with distinct lengths
      of "on"
      > (dits and dahs are _different_) and "off" (inter-letter space,
      > inter-word space) smells "digital" to me.
      >
      > Charles VA7CPC
      >
      > --- In 30meterPSKGroup@ yahoogroups. com, Dan KB6NU <cwgeek@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It's more than just semantics. People like to think of Morse as
      the
      > > original digital mode, but strictly it's not. You have off on
      (short,
      > > dit), and on (long, dah). American Morse--the original Morse Code-
      -is
      > > even less binary with some characters using longer dahs than
      others.

      > > I only bring it up because I like to encourage 30m activity on
      all
      > > modes, not just those that need to use a computer.
      > >
      > > 73!
      > >
      > > Dan KB6NU

    • Leslie Elliott
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 3, 2008
        Yes, but is not the human body/brain just another kind of machine?  The brain works on electrical impulses, just like a computer or radio does.   Har Har
        KCØPTO  Les