Updating the Band Utilization charts

  • Ian Wade, G3NRW
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2014
      It's about a year now since I last updated the Band Utilization Charts
      for 30m, 60m (UK) and 160m:

      <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/121122_30m_Band_Utilization_Chart.pdf

      <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/130222_UK_60m_Band_Utilization.pdf>

      <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/121122_160m_Band_Utilization_Chart.pd
      f>

      If you know of anything that needs updating, please email me direct,
      OFF-LIST:

      mailto: g3nrw-radio@...

      As usual, please remember that these charts are NOT bandplans, they are
      just indicators of ACTUAL band utilization.

      Ian, G3NRW
    • Robin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2014
        Ian,
        Thanks for your up-date... all very useful information.
        Shows how jam-packed 30 meters is from 10.130 to 10.150 MHz!
        No space for any experimentation without treading on someone's toes.
        10.100 to 10.130 MHz is also allocated by the ITU for amateur radio use,
        but IARU reserves this segment of 30m for CW only.

        Although your chart most definitely states that it avoids the Band-Plan trap, some operators
        are still unaware that the recommendations of IARU are that only region 2 may transmit
        digital modes between 10.130 and 10.140 MHz.
        While many operators can have their own opinions of such IARU recommendations,
        unfortunately a few country call-sign government administrators are including those
        same limits in their legislation. Consequently some of us cannot transmit digital modes
        there now without risk of legal action and prosecution.

        One other point came to mind though - Joe Taylor has recently introduced WSJT-X
        which is being used for JT65A and JT9 (simultaneously!).  The 30m default settings
        of this software, place JT9 above 10.140 MHz (not down at 10.130 where it used to be,
        and maybe some people still go).  WSJT-X also makes it very difficult to use the frequencies
        10.140100 to 10.140300 MHz (which Joe Taylor's other  program, WSPR, uses) for either
        JT65A or JT9.
        So anyone wanting to work me on JT65A or JT9 will have to look above 10.140300 MHz.

        See you on the air.

        73  Robin, 9H1ZZ

        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2014

          Hi Ian G3NRW,

          Please update the 30 Meter Band Utilization Chart showing JT9 in the suggested area Robin stated.  I am not sure of the JT9 activity at 10.130 but for sure there is JT9 activity in NA at 10.1403 to 10.1415 and at times even up to 10.142 but more on that below.  Can you update the JT9 on the 30 Meter Chart?  Thanks for all your efforts on the Charts Ian, much appreciated.

          Robin, 9H1ZZ and/or any JT9 users,

          Is there JT9 activity at 10.130 in your Region?  Robin...how active is JT9 in Region 1 in the segment you suggested 10.1403 and up....and how far up does the JT9 activity go on 30 Meters?  We actually have a number of JT9 ops using JT9 in Region 2 NA in the area from 10.1403 to 10.142 but I'm afraid some of them seem to think they can not coexist with also narrow PSK31 signals that have been in the range of 10.140 to 10.142 on 30 Meters for years now.  I noticed when beaming EU that of course the PSK activity is so much more active on 30m from 10.141 to 10.143 kind of like night and day from NA which has a small amount of 30m PSK anymore so I don't see any JT9 signals from EU Region 1 but most all PSK(31,63,125 most likely due to EPC Awards).  What I see in NA when the band is active I think a trend of those that have switched to 10.138 with JT65 mode.  Also most in NA seem to only like the JT65HF program so they are going to be slow to switch or switch at all to the WSJT program that includes JT9 (seems too bad also since you can fit so many more JT9 QSO's in the same band width it seems like all would want to switch to the narrower JT9 mode, plus added 2db too boot).  Fill the group in on the 30 Meter JT9 activity in Region 1 please if you have time.

          Here is my JT9 example of at least one JT9 op that seem to think JT9 mode should be the only mode they see on their waterfall from 10.140 to 10.142 section of the 30 Meter Band.....below copied and pasted from my screen when in a PSK QSO at 10.1418 a few weeks ago:

          *KB9UMT:  KC8KWN KC8KWN de KB9UMT  GM  ur report 599 599 599
          name is Don  Don   QTH is Peoria IL  Peoria IL  Loc EN50dp
          hw? btu KC8KWN de KB9UMT bk

          *NO CALL SIGN OP: Jn   ecould you guys move up just a little Wou are right on to]of the digital guys on jt9 freq pse hny i-100 P  iII l0nAn,  Sft.are: FLDIGnaon an old Ma  boob Pos  cnin a U
          cetnne┬»io

          *NO CALL SIGN OP:o: d e conBcr i just asb:o movi up maybe one or 2 kc that is all tu e eIoa

          *KB9UMT: You are interfering with a QSO please stop    JT9 is narrow mode and can live with PSK31   pleas continue ur JT9 QSO    PSK31 has been in the 10.140 to 10.142 range here on 30m  and so far never seen any problems........now back to my QSO you interupted
          KC8KWN KC8KWN de KB9UMT KB9UMT plse k

          *NO CALL SIGN OP:u but as agentlemai i ask wud you pse move up to 141 or 142  tried to be nic e now f*ck you t d

          *KB9UMT: What is ur call?  never heard such a thing...now please continue on and I will move up to 10.142   you are a poor op om   KC8KWN KC8KWN please move to 10.142  calling there and TU de KB9UMT k

          So that is my JT9 story of which I use the mode so I find this JT9 op a very poor operator and one that can't seem to know how to use a notch or filters - if this is the same op that I noticed a JT9 signal at 10.1413 and I was at 10.1418 which I'm always right at or below 10.142 when using PSK on 30m then what difference would it make for me to move from 10.1418 to 10.142 when he was well below us in also a narrow mode...made no sense to me but he never gave a call sign and when I switched the other receiver/ant to JT9 mode while I finished my PSK31 QSP he never returned.

          Thanks

          Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001

          www.30mdg.net

        • Robin
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2014
            Hi Don,

            Referring to your comments:

            Personally, I much prefer JT65HF when working JT65A and only use WSJT-X for JT9.
            Especially I dislike the fact that  WSJT-X bars any transmission between 10.140100 and 10.140300 MHz.

            In the last 6 months I have only worked 30 stations (in 10 countries, 9 of them European) in JT9 on 30 meters.
            Frequencies I used were from 10.140300 to 10.141330.
            I think that Pez (OE3EPW/OE4EPW) is probably more active than me on JT9 30 meters.
            I have been spotted several times by Laurie (VK3AMA) on JT9, but never worked him.
            WSJT-X defaults JT9  to 10.140000 -10.142000,  but I have not seen any JT9 signals above 10.141400.

            Usual Ham practice is listen first and not to transmit on a frequency already in use by others.
            So, as you say, it should be possible to have JT9 and PSK present in the same segment of 30 meters
            if each respects this rule using their waterfalls.

            That said, using JT65HF, some of us have been experimenting with superimposing JT65A and PSK signals,
            also one JT65A on  another JT65A signal to determine the tolerance to mutual interference. Considerable overlap
            is possible without losing decodes.  However, an article I read states that WSJT-X requires non-overlapping
            of signals; another reason why I will only use it for JT9.

            Hope those observations help.

            73, Robin, 9H1ZZ

            _._,___
          • kb9umt
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2014

              *** Hi again Robin and thanks for the reply....my reply below starting with "***"

              Hi Don,

              Referring to your comments:

              Personally, I much prefer JT65HF when working JT65A and only use WSJT-X for JT9.
              Especially I dislike the fact that  WSJT-X bars any transmission between 10.140100 and 10.140300 MHz.

              *** That is the problem here in NA or Region 2 also...most use and prefer JT65HF so not near as much JT9 activity as there should be considering many more QSOs could fit in the same segment plus added 2db with JT9.  I'm not sure what you mean by WSJT-X bars any transmission between 10.140100 to 10.140300 since I can move my dial or anchor frequency anywhere to obtain.  I'm not sure why the hang up with WSJT vs JT65HF as they both do the same thing...or as I see it they do anyway so adding JT9 to the mix only a plus.

              In the last 6 months I have only worked 30 stations (in 10 countries, 9 of them European) in JT9 on 30 meters. Frequencies I used were from 10.140300 to 10.141330.

              *** In 6 months that is not many so that is sad to see those numbers.

              I think that Pez (OE3EPW/OE4EPW) is probably more active than me on JT9 30 meters.
              I have been spotted several times by Laurie (VK3AMA) on JT9, but never worked him.
              WSJT-X defaults JT9  to 10.140000 -10.142000,  but I have not seen any JT9 signals above 10.141400.

              *** I will let Pez OE3EPW/OE4EPW report his JT9 observations if he is reading along but I think he worked many stations when at 10.130 JT9 was more active (and I know Robin you can't use 10.130 but above 10.140).  I have been watching PSK Reporter data the last few days and if you look almost all JT9 spots now are at 10.141 +/- so even Region 2 has moved so I'm wondering why you don't see these JT9 signals in Region 1 Robin.  Another observation with the PSK Reporter data if you choose 30m, last 24 hours, then mode of JT65 you will see a big difference of NA the biggest users of JT65 mode vs. EU with much less use....then do the same 30m, last 24 hours, then mode of PSK and you will see just the opposite with EU VERY active on PSK on 30m with vs. NA with much less use of PSK.   I will assume the PSK for EU for EPC Awards and maybe some 30MDG Awards but NA have very little participation in both those Award programs compared to EU.   When I see an EU op on 30m JT65 (10.138) that is -10 to +6 in signal strength (which most are this strong) then I know for sure the 30m band is open for more of a ragchew mode of PSK or others (MFSK,Olivia,Contestia,etc) but that no longer seems to happen as if Region 1 is stuck on PSK and Region 2 on JT65 so we miss the opportunity of contacts between Regions - or what I see when in the shack and what the PSK Reporter data seems to confirm.

              Usual Ham practice is listen first and not to transmit on a frequency already in use by others.
              So, as you say, it should be possible to have JT9 and PSK present in the same segment of 30 meters
              if each respects this rule using their waterfalls.

              *** There is no doubt it can and will and should be no different than any other modes we have and see on 30m band....if the frequency is in use it is in use no matter what mode it should not matter (unless we agree with you experiment below in our next statement).

              That said, using JT65HF, some of us have been experimenting with superimposing JT65A and PSK signals,
              also one JT65A on  another JT65A signal to determine the tolerance to mutual interference. Considerable overlap
              is possible without losing decodes.  However, an article I read states that WSJT-X requires non-overlapping
              of signals; another reason why I will only use it for JT9.

              *** Neat and an idea I also have wondered about and if other digital ops would accept...on our past 30 Meter Multi Mode weekends I noticed this many times with many different modes overlapping yet QSO completed on modes that were overlapping.

              Hope those observations help.

              *** It does help Robin and good information for your area of the world on 30m....appreciate it ...Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001

              73, Robin, 9H1ZZ