Re: JT65 and JT9

  • ChuckR
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2013
      Thanks for the information Don I usually try at 0000UTC and call for about 30 min. I have a FT450 and a Butternut ground mounted vertical ( I live in a HOA).
      I have installed the JT65/JT9 software and have it controlling my rig but am stumped on how to send and receive, but I had to learn how to use the other digital modes.

      you know, I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath LOL

      I hope to see you on 30 Meters soon.

      Chuck Roth
      KB7OGE
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
        Hi Chuck KB7OGE,

        Thanks for the reply back. Nice station and the Butternut vertical and good antenna - I have worked many HOA with inside antennas on 30m band so that is always interesting to me, you seem to be lucky to have a nice vertical in a HOA situation so you should have fun on the band.

        Funny you mention 'I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath'...I think many that can't physically participate leave the rig on and report what they are hearing while either doing other tasks or away from the rig - I know I'm guilty of that but we seem to have more reporting/listening than actually transmitting on the band.

        Couple other items...on 30m I have always noticed that time difference even in NA/USA doesn't help so I use to notice that when I seen the 30m digital signals from West Coast the East Coast folks already asleep - this is even more so with working DX on 30m that sometimes the best times to work the band is when most in NA/USA are to be asleep but EU is just getting awake.

        As far as learning JT65 or JT9 it does take a little understanding but you can learn it very easily (of course these modes are not a ragchew mode so some will like it some will not, up to the op). I think for someone new to JT65 that downloading JT65-HF software for a beginner more user friendly than the WSJT software then once you have the hang of it try the WSJT software which of course now includes the JT9 mode.

        Lucky for us the Internet is a great source of 'how to' information and even videos... YouTube if you search has some good ones:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUz1H0jClzY

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDAwGvJVmyU

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1hZ6V9HMAM

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLTr68cikA

        Some other links that might help:

        http://obriensweb.com/wsjtx.html

        http://nw7us.us/jt65a.html

        http://www.zs2ez.co.za/WSJT/jt65a%20bozo's%20gude.pdf

        Remember your clock must be accurate:

        http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/default.htm

        Hope to work you sometime in PSK or JT65/JT9 or heck I like to try just about any mode so if I'm playing around with a not-so used mode look for me just above the 10140 to 10142 PSK portion of 30m usually around 10142.5 - TXID (RSID) will be on and usually also Video ID on the waterfall to aid in helping others switch to the mode I'm using.

        Thanks
        Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the information Don I usually try at 0000UTC and call for about 30 min. I have a FT450 and a Butternut ground mounted vertical ( I live in a HOA).
        > I have installed the JT65/JT9 software and have it controlling my rig but am stumped on how to send and receive, but I had to learn how to use the other digital modes.
        >
        > you know, I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath LOL
        >
        > I hope to see you on 30 Meters soon.
        >
        > Chuck Roth
        > KB7OGE

      • Scott Currier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
          Same here Don, when thunderstorms are not likely I often will leave the radio and computer on when I'm away and will be reporting what I hear. If someone tries calling me I may not be there to answer unless I'm logged into my computer remotely.

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
          From: dhobson123@...
          Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:54:11 +0000
          Subject: [30MDG] Re: JT65 and JT9