VE3EEE at the beach!

  • ve3oij
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
      It's my birthday on Saturday, and that means hauling ass out of Ottawa... Will be operating VE3EEE this weekend from the beach near Sandbanks Provincial Park. http://bit.ly/152IQEf located at FN13jv

      Operating modes will be mostly PSK, RTTY, and JT65, maybe with some SSB thrown in. Maybe I'll get really wild and crazy and try some AM. Not bringing a key, so if I do any CW (unlikely, but one never knows), it will be computer generated. I have capability for all bands from 6m to 40m

      It's a hot weekend and its the beach... so don't expect some kind of 24/7 operation here :) however, if you're in the area, don't be afraid to drop by.

      Ordinarily, I'm VE3OIJ, but I use the alternate call for portable stuff.

      This means that award submissions won't be processed until I get back early next week.

      73 de VE3OIJ / VE3EEE
      -Darin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 22, 2013
        Darin,
        Happy Birthday and hope you get a lot of contacts - sounds like fun. Let us know how you made out when you are back.

        Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ve3oij" <ve3oij@...> wrote:

        > It's my birthday on Saturday, and that means hauling ass out of Ottawa... Will be operating VE3EEE this weekend from the beach near Sandbanks Provincial Park. http://bit.ly/152IQEf located at FN13jv
        >
        > Operating modes will be mostly PSK, RTTY, and JT65, maybe with some SSB thrown in. Maybe I'll get really wild and crazy and try some AM. Not bringing a key, so if I do any CW (unlikely, but one never knows), it will be computer generated. I have capability for all bands from 6m to 40m
        >
        > It's a hot weekend and its the beach... so don't expect some kind of 24/7 operation here :) however, if you're in the area, don't be afraid to drop by.
        >
        > Ordinarily, I'm VE3OIJ, but I use the alternate call for portable stuff.
        >
        > This means that award submissions won't be processed until I get back early next week.
        >
        > 73 de VE3OIJ / VE3EEE
        > -Darin

      • ve3oij
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2013
          Unfortunately, it did not go well. My FT-857 died on AM/SSB/CW, so there were no contacts except a bit of local FM.

          But all was not lost.

          My wife decided that it being my birthday and all, I could buy a new radio.

          So a FTdx-1200 now sits where my FT-847 sat. The FT-847 moves to the portable/emergency station, and the almost-but-not-quite dead FT-857 moves to me "not sure what I'll do with it yet" pile.

          If anyone has experienced these symptoms with an 857, let me know what you did: Works fine on FM. On AM/CW/SSB (which should all use the same parts of the radio if I understand correctly how the 857 works), gets no more than 2 watts out, whether I feed it with a key, microphone, or RigExpert.

          Other than that, the weekend was stormy the first night, but after the storms, it was a great weekend on the beach!

          -pdc

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24, 2013
            Hi Darin,

            Thanks for the report but although no contacts...what a nice BDay present! Hope you like your new rig and will look for you on the band (your XYL Rocks! ha).

            Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
            www.30mdg.net

            --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ve3oij" <ve3oij@...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately, it did not go well. My FT-857 died on AM/SSB/CW, so there were no contacts except a bit of local FM.
            >
            > But all was not lost.
            >
            > My wife decided that it being my birthday and all, I could buy a new radio.
            >
            > So a FTdx-1200 now sits where my FT-847 sat. The FT-847 moves to the portable/emergency station, and the almost-but-not-quite dead FT-857 moves to me "not sure what I'll do with it yet" pile.
            >
            > If anyone has experienced these symptoms with an 857, let me know what you did: Works fine on FM. On AM/CW/SSB (which should all use the same parts of the radio if I understand correctly how the 857 works), gets no more than 2 watts out, whether I feed it with a key, microphone, or RigExpert.
            >
            > Other than that, the weekend was stormy the first night, but after the storms, it was a great weekend on the beach!
            >
            > -pdc
            >
            > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Darin,
            > > Happy Birthday and hope you get a lot of contacts - sounds like fun. Let us know how you made out when you are back.
            > >
            > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
            > > www.30mdg.net
            > >
            > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ve3oij" <ve3oij@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It's my birthday on Saturday, and that means hauling ass out of Ottawa... Will be operating VE3EEE this weekend from the beach near Sandbanks Provincial Park. http://bit.ly/152IQEf located at FN13jv
            > > >
            > > > Operating modes will be mostly PSK, RTTY, and JT65, maybe with some SSB thrown in. Maybe I'll get really wild and crazy and try some AM. Not bringing a key, so if I do any CW (unlikely, but one never knows), it will be computer generated. I have capability for all bands from 6m to 40m
            > > >
            > > > It's a hot weekend and its the beach... so don't expect some kind of 24/7 operation here :) however, if you're in the area, don't be afraid to drop by.
            > > >
            > > > Ordinarily, I'm VE3OIJ, but I use the alternate call for portable stuff.
            > > >
            > > > This means that award submissions won't be processed until I get back early next week.
            > > >
            > > > 73 de VE3OIJ / VE3EEE
            > > > -Darin

          • ChuckR
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
              Thanks for the information Don I will download JT65HF and get it set up and see what I can do. Hope to work you sometime

              Chuck
              KB7OGE
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
                Hi Chuck KB7OGE,
                Hey...ready and willing when you are. I can meet up with you on 30m tonight if you wish, what times do you usually get on in the evening? If you don't have JT65 (10138) or JT9 (10130) at the ready I'm willing to try in BPSK31 (10140-10142) or any digital mode you wish to try. Usually if I'm in the shack I have HamSpots going and/or on the 30MDG page which we can pass messages via HamSpots if needed (poor band prop, problem with software, etc)....go here:

                http://hamspots.net/30mdg/
                (to use the message post feature you have to be logged into HamSpots - easy to get a password/login also)

                Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                www.30mdg.net

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the information Don I will download JT65HF and get it set up and see what I can do. Hope to work you sometime
                >
                > Chuck
                > KB7OGE

              • ChuckR
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2013
                  Thanks Don I ran into a home problem but hope to be back on and giving it a try. I am usually on at 0000UTC but be on at other times if that would be better. I am using JT65HF 1.0.9.3 and using it under Ham Radio Deluxe. I am willing to try anything new as I have found my self stuck in the mud. Also hope to try narrow band width SSTV. Who says an old dog can not learn new tricks. I will look at the tutorials a few more times and try JT65HF again tomorrow

                  Thanks again
                  Chuck
                  KB7OGE

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                    Hi Chuck KB7OGE,

                    Hey...pleasure to see your signal and make a 30m PSK contact with you last night - some QSB but all in all good signal from your vertical on 30m (and our last contact on 30m was from 2008 so we were over due!).

                    I looked for you on JT65 but noticed you didn't stick around long enough for me to find you but also noticed your Tx seems good:

                    Below from PSK Reporter for KB7OGE on 30m JT65:
                    Rcvr Band Mode Distance Time (UTC)
                    WB4CIW 30m JT65 558 miles 01:50:55
                    VE3ODZ 30m JT65 1867 miles 01:50:54
                    WT9S 30m JT65 124 miles 01:50:53
                    N0RQ 30m JT65 843 miles 01:50:53
                    KB9GSY 30m JT65 1440 miles 01:50:53
                    K5WW 30m JT65 661 miles 01:50:52
                    K3MQ 30m JT65 2059 miles 01:50:51
                    WB4FSD 30m JT65 1754 miles 01:50:51
                    N5LYJ 30m JT65 730 miles 01:50:51
                    KK1D 30m JT65 2214 miles 01:50:50
                    N2JR 30m JT65 1908 miles 01:50:49

                    Great spirit of willing to try anything and new modes, all fun stuff!

                    Look for you again soon.

                    Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                    www.30mdg.net

                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks Don I ran into a home problem but hope to be back on and giving it a try. I am usually on at 0000UTC but be on at other times if that would be better. I am using JT65HF 1.0.9.3 and using it under Ham Radio Deluxe. I am willing to try anything new as I have found my self stuck in the mud. Also hope to try narrow band width SSTV. Who says an old dog can not learn new tricks. I will look at the tutorials a few more times and try JT65HF again tomorrow
                    >
                    > Thanks again
                    > Chuck
                    > KB7OGE
                    > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Chuck KB7OGE,
                    > > Hey...ready and willing when you are. I can meet up with you on 30m tonight if you wish, what times do you usually get on in the evening? If you don't have JT65 (10138) or JT9 (10130) at the ready I'm willing to try in BPSK31 (10140-10142) or any digital mode you wish to try. Usually if I'm in the shack I have HamSpots going and/or on the 30MDG page which we can pass messages via HamSpots if needed (poor band prop, problem with software, etc)....go here:
                    > >
                    > > http://hamspots.net/30mdg/
                    > > (to use the message post feature you have to be logged into HamSpots - easy to get a password/login also)
                    > >
                    > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                    > > www.30mdg.net
                    > >

                    > > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks for the information Don I will download JT65HF and get it set up and see what I can do. Hope to work you sometime
                    > > >
                    > > > Chuck
                    > > > KB7OGE

                  • ChuckR
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2013
                      I want to thank you and the rest of the group for the help in getting me up and running on JT65 HF. once I got things set right I had a real ball. This morning my 1st ever JT65 contact was with JH1Qkg. I could not believe it. You are going to see me on JT65 a lot. One quick question, what is the difference between JT65 and JT65A.. Thanks again Hope to be back on on Sunday.

                      Chuck
                      KB7OGE