Re: [30MDG] JT65 and JT9

  • David Westbrook
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 18, 2013
      It definitely hasn't ...   The jt65 & jt9 specific groups (there are several) all have their own traffic;  And i think the discussions here have pretty much been around frequencies & band plans on 30M,  which is definitely under this group's pervue (as is anything promoting 30M use), and probably actually better here than the mode-specific groups since here will get visibility & input from users of other modes on 30M.

      73
      --david
      kj4izw

      On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM, ChuckR <kb7oge@...> wrote:

      In looking at the last few weeks I am beginning to wonder if this group has become the JT65 and JT9 Users group rather than the 30mdg group. As I cannot make contacts on 30 Meter band from Tucson Az I guess it doesn't matter.

      Chuck
      KB7OGE

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
        Hi Chuck KB7OGE,

        30MDG promotes the 30 Meter Band and any digital mode - I think at this time it seems many of the digital users of 30 meters have switched to the JT65 and now JT9 modes nothing more, have you tried them? (they are not for everyone as they are not QSO modes but weak-signal contact only)

        Interesting your comment "I cannot make contacts on 30 Meter Band from Tucson AZ", why not? Well, I kind of know the answer to that since 30m PSK activity in NA is not very active - I did noticed from www.HamSpots.net on your call search there that your signal is being hear from the West Coast to the East Coast of USA...how long do you try a CQ on 30 Meters? I know last couple weekends I'm spotted by 30m monitors in PSK 10140 section from coast to coast but have had a harder time getting replies - use to be within a few CQ's or minutes but of late it has taken 10 to 30 minutes of CQing to get a reply but find once I get a reply I get an enjoyable QSO and not use a 'contact'. One Sunday afternoon no replies after 1 hour but I know my signal was again hitting both coasts (I did noticed your very active on 20 meters but keep in mind 30m is no where as active as 20m so it might take a little effort).

        Hope to work you sometime soon and thanks for the post.

        Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@...> wrote:

        > In looking at the last few weeks I am beginning to wonder if this group has become the JT65 and JT9 Users group rather than the 30mdg group. As I cannot make contacts on 30 Meter band from Tucson Az I guess it doesn't matter.
        >
        > Chuck
        > KB7OGE

      • Scott Currier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2013
          My experience has been that all digital modes are covered by the group. JT65 and 9 are popular now, part of the reason may be that they tend to get through when other digital modes don't and JT65 has become very popular on all bands.

          However, if you watch the group over time you will see that all modes are covered.

          I see lots of activity on the band, especially at night.

          What's your setup like? I am using an FT1000D, oldie but a nice radio, into a fan dipole at 50 feet.

          Contacts have not been difficult on 30.

          73 and have a nice day.

          Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
          From: kb7oge@...
          Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:24:33 +0000
          Subject: [30MDG] JT65 and JT9

          In looking at the last few weeks I am beginning to wonder if this group has become the JT65 and JT9 Users group rather than the 30mdg group. As I cannot make contacts on 30 Meter band from Tucson Az I guess it doesn't matter.

          Chuck
          KB7OGE

        • ChuckR
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2013
            Thanks for the information Don I usually try at 0000UTC and call for about 30 min. I have a FT450 and a Butternut ground mounted vertical ( I live in a HOA).
            I have installed the JT65/JT9 software and have it controlling my rig but am stumped on how to send and receive, but I had to learn how to use the other digital modes.

            you know, I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath LOL

            I hope to see you on 30 Meters soon.

            Chuck Roth
            KB7OGE
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
              Hi Chuck KB7OGE,

              Thanks for the reply back. Nice station and the Butternut vertical and good antenna - I have worked many HOA with inside antennas on 30m band so that is always interesting to me, you seem to be lucky to have a nice vertical in a HOA situation so you should have fun on the band.

              Funny you mention 'I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath'...I think many that can't physically participate leave the rig on and report what they are hearing while either doing other tasks or away from the rig - I know I'm guilty of that but we seem to have more reporting/listening than actually transmitting on the band.

              Couple other items...on 30m I have always noticed that time difference even in NA/USA doesn't help so I use to notice that when I seen the 30m digital signals from West Coast the East Coast folks already asleep - this is even more so with working DX on 30m that sometimes the best times to work the band is when most in NA/USA are to be asleep but EU is just getting awake.

              As far as learning JT65 or JT9 it does take a little understanding but you can learn it very easily (of course these modes are not a ragchew mode so some will like it some will not, up to the op). I think for someone new to JT65 that downloading JT65-HF software for a beginner more user friendly than the WSJT software then once you have the hang of it try the WSJT software which of course now includes the JT9 mode.

              Lucky for us the Internet is a great source of 'how to' information and even videos... YouTube if you search has some good ones:

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUz1H0jClzY

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDAwGvJVmyU

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1hZ6V9HMAM

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLTr68cikA

              Some other links that might help:

              http://obriensweb.com/wsjtx.html

              http://nw7us.us/jt65a.html

              http://www.zs2ez.co.za/WSJT/jt65a%20bozo's%20gude.pdf

              Remember your clock must be accurate:

              http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/default.htm

              Hope to work you sometime in PSK or JT65/JT9 or heck I like to try just about any mode so if I'm playing around with a not-so used mode look for me just above the 10140 to 10142 PSK portion of 30m usually around 10142.5 - TXID (RSID) will be on and usually also Video ID on the waterfall to aid in helping others switch to the mode I'm using.

              Thanks
              Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
              www.30mdg.net

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ChuckR" <kb7oge@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the information Don I usually try at 0000UTC and call for about 30 min. I have a FT450 and a Butternut ground mounted vertical ( I live in a HOA).
              > I have installed the JT65/JT9 software and have it controlling my rig but am stumped on how to send and receive, but I had to learn how to use the other digital modes.
              >
              > you know, I find it strange that on Hamspots an PSK Reporter so many stations report hearing me but none reply. After all I took a bath LOL
              >
              > I hope to see you on 30 Meters soon.
              >
              > Chuck Roth
              > KB7OGE

            • Scott Currier
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
                Same here Don, when thunderstorms are not likely I often will leave the radio and computer on when I'm away and will be reporting what I hear. If someone tries calling me I may not be there to answer unless I'm logged into my computer remotely.

                To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                From: dhobson123@...
                Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:54:11 +0000
                Subject: [30MDG] Re: JT65 and JT9