Re: New Antenna for 30 Meters coming by mid summer...

  • kleks05
    Message 1 of 25 , May 16, 2013
      inline...

      --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "AC5JV,GEORGE" <ac5jv@...> wrote:

      > HELLO ALL "
      >    i have question on antenna i have ?
      > ok , i'm using my 75m end-fed which is 60 feet long, on 30 meters , ok you do the math on it and its just a little over 5/8 wave on 30m.
      > NOW MY QUESTION ?
      >   you hear 5/8 wave 2m antennas are supposed to be 3db gain ,would my 5/8 wave on 30m [75m end-fed antenna] will it have gain ?seeing how its 5/8 wave long.

      but..but.. 2m 5/8 is usually vertical. is your end -fed a vertical antenna ??

      yes, a 5/8 will have a bit more flattened torus (doughnut) shape, when radiator is vertical and have a decent ground plane ( car, radial system); a horizontally oriented 5/8 radiator, with so-so ground system wil have a very disturbed pattern. yes, it will show gain in some directions - and huge attenuation in other directions.

      For space limited, tower deprived I would recommend delta loop - used one when in HOA space, hiding it in the trees. the beauty of Delta is that it can be quite low above the ground - my base was about 8 ft above ground. Peak was at about 30 ft, and I was able to throw a rope over tree by myself ( with a hammer at the end of the rope:-).

      >  i'm feeding it with 50 foot of rg-213 and of course using a mfj949e manual tuner on it .
      >     gain or no gain , either way it works for me, i have noticed the 's' unit noise floor is less than on my 160 meter 1/4 wave end-fed.but get about the same 'rx/tx' on it ,
      >  thought be interesting question .
      >          thank you ac5jv,george

      K4ED (Mark) rules of the antennas:
      - any antenna is better then no antenna, and will show some gain over a dummy load;
      - any resonant antenna is better then a dummy load;
      - once you are on the air, the path of improvements is limited by your creativity, financial resources and XYL approval. Full steam ahead !

      > AC5JV, GEORGE

      vy 73 de KU1T
      _zjt
      Message 2 of 25 , May 26, 2013
        David NK7Z,

        Good luck on your 30m 4square vertical project. Please keep us posted on your progress either by postings or picture links and when completed - maybe your results too.

        I can confirm that Pez OE3EPW has a big signal with his 4square vertical array - his signal is one of the biggest coming out of EU on the 30m band from what I see from here (EN50dp using 2 ele yagi)...and many times the only 30m EU signal I see/copy when the path is poor (no matter what mode...one night on RTTY he liked to blow me out of my chair with a 20 over signal on what I thought was a dead path to EU!).

        On a lighter note maybe that is why Pez has his verticals on rims/wheels that way when the other EU ops get tired of him working the World he can either hide them quickly or he has a way to quickly get out of town! hi

        Have fun and I think you are in for some fun with your project...30m a great band.

        Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        Message 3 of 25 , May 26, 2013
          Hi George AC5JV,

          I think you have often posted your noise floor was just too high to hear signals on 30m and this antenna seems to have helped with that so good on that!

          I forgot to post our contact a few weeks ago so I guess I should post it now that this antenna of yours did quite well picking up my signal here in EN50 Peoria IL on Saturday - so well and such a good path that we made a nice contact with me using my dummy load in the basement! Thanks for the 30m dummy load contact!

          I think from what I see from here when on the 30m band that plain and simple for the PSK section of 30m the band is just under used in NA - sure some traces here and there in the early mornings or afternoons but nothing like the other bands and what is interesting is that 30m has some great paths and we have proved that over and over - not sure why NA is asleep on 30m but it is what it is so it's not always the antenna, paths, etc but just no interest for whatever reason not to use the 30m band (keep in mind trying a different digital mode might help - JT65, WSJT-JT9-1 modes seem to have more 30m traffic now that PSK section of the band).

          Thanks
          Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
          www.30mdg.net

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "AC5JV,GEORGE" <ac5jv@...> wrote:

          > HELLO ALL "
          >    i have question on antenna i have ?
          > ok , i'm using my 75m end-fed which is 60 feet long, on 30 meters , ok you do the math on it and its just a little over 5/8 wave on 30m.
          > NOW MY QUESTION ?
          >   you hear 5/8 wave 2m antennas are supposed to be 3db gain ,would my 5/8 wave on 30m [75m end-fed antenna] will it have gain ?seeing how its 5/8 wave long.
          >  i'm feeding it with 50 foot of rg-213 and of course using a mfj949e manual tuner on it .
          >     gain or no gain , either way it works for me, i have noticed the 's' unit noise floor is less than on my 160 meter 1/4 wave end-fed.but get about the same 'rx/tx' on it ,
          >  thought be interesting question .
          >          thank you ac5jv,george
          >

          > AC5JV, GEORGE
          >  146.985 RPT INFO
          > http://www.kc5dbh.freewebspace.com/
          >    HAM TRADERS GROUP
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neokhamtraders/
          >     KD5KUF PAWN SHOP
          > http://www.siloamspringspawn.com/
          >

          > “The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.”â€" Will Rogers

        • David Cole
          Message 4 of 25 , May 26, 2013
            Hi Don,

            Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, the entire wheel rim thing came
            about, AFTER I had holes dug and concrete poured! :) Wish I had
            thought of that prior to all of that, oh well...

            The current status is on hold for a few more days, the rains have
            returned, and I am letting the ground get soaked prior to digging the
            feed line trenches, etc.

            I have decided to run all the main feed-lines to my outbuilding, ( after
            phasing), then from there, an antenna switch and to the shack... That
            way, I can add tuners, etc and have them under cover later... So... I
            will be renting a trenching machine soon, maybe as early as next week.
            Once that is done, I will then mount up Vertical #1, construct the
            radial field, measuring all the way, then post results. As soon as that
            is done, I'll re-tune it for 30 meters!

            I am currently building a Christman feed for the 40 meter array...

            --
            Thanks,
            Dave