30 Meter monoband data radio?

  • ad7an
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2013
      I have a great KAM XL, and want to set it up on 30 meters with a dedicated rig. I looked high and low for a kit or plans for a 30 meter data radio but had no luck. Anyone have heard of one of these? I'm not thinking SDR type, but one that would work with a TNC so it would be a regular sideband rig with probably 20 watts or so. Maybe we could do a club project.
    • Scott Currier
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2013
        Good morning, Hf radios with 30 meters have been manufactured since the early 80's.

        It would seem to me that it would be more cost effective to buy a used radio that covers 30 meters.

        Some radios include..

        Kenwood

        TS530s
        TS430s
        Ts830s
        TS440s

        Icom

        IC745
        IC751a
        IC735

        Yaesu

        FT757GX

        There are others as well.

        Monoband kits are available for various bands but good luck finding an SSB kit for 30 meters.

        The best bang for the buck will be an old use radio.

        Many of those radios, with the exception of the hybrid kenwoods, will easily operate on 60 meters as well.

        You could go back to the Kenwood TS520, 820 series, or the Yaesu FT 101 series but you will need to modify them to operate on 30 meters. Those radios also do not come with digital readouts for the frequency.

        Thus I would go with the former radios which do have frequency readouts.

        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
        From: gordisht@...
        Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 17:48:07 +0000
        Subject: [30MDG] 30 Meter monoband data radio?

        I have a great KAM XL, and want to set it up on 30 meters with a dedicated rig. I looked high and low for a kit or plans for a 30 meter data radio but had no luck. Anyone have heard of one of these? I'm not thinking SDR type, but one that would work with a TNC so it would be a regular sideband rig with probably 20 watts or so. Maybe we could do a club project.

      • Nick Tsakonas
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2013
          Hi,

          Since you are looking for a kit, I assume that you are not afraid to solder!
          I do not know if you are into building-from-schematics (that is, no pcb but ugly style), but I would like to suggest one or two resources worth looking.

          Years ago, Small Wonder Labs (www.smallwonderlabs.com), was selling some excellent kits for PSK31 for 80m/30m/20m. That means that they were somewhat fixed to the PSK31 regions. At the moment , unfortunately,they are not available.

          There were two major kits
          a) The Warbler 80 - simple PSK31 rig for 80m
          b) PSK20/PSK30 - a bit more advanced PSK31 rig for 20m/30m

          In the links I am providing you can find their construction manual along with their schematics.Maybe you can adjust them to your needs.

          The warbler 80 was modified into the WARCbler (a 30m rig) and this maybe of interest to you.

          depending on your needs, you may able to use the WARCbler for most of your 30m activities, if you can adjust the frequency a bit.Do not get fooled by the prefix "PSK" in their names, they were pure mini SSB transceivers (just fixed frequency).

          if you can be more specific of how are you planning to use it (which modes?) maybe I can recall more projects. I am sure that I have bookmarked a WSPR rig.

          73,Nick
          SV1DJG

          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2013
            That is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize that the warblers were simply SSB rigs. Now if I can find a board that would be ideal. Maybe I will contact small wonders.

            I would probably add some boots for a boost on this rig as well.

            Thanks for the great reply.

          • Nick Tsakonas
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2013

              >That is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't realize that the warblers were simply SSB rigs.
              warblers are very simplistic (and interesting!) rigs ..maybe it sounds exaggerated but their output is indeed SSB! The receiver is a DC receiver with a bit better rejection of the opposite sideband. PSK20/PSK30 are even better rigs!

              >Now if I can find a board that would be ideal. Maybe I will contact small wonders.

              >I would probably add some boots for a boost on this rig as well.
              Due to the way the warbler generates its output, you must be careful  not to boost it too much...maybe the opposite sideband becomes significant at high power.If you need to run very high power, then the warbler may not be a good idea!

              __
              73,Nick