Re: [30MDG] New Antenna for 30 Meters coming by mid summer...

  • Peter Eckersberger
    Message 1 of 25 , May 8, 2013
      Hi David,

      Sorry for the delay. Have been out of my home yesterday evening.

      As of your question ... Well, I don't have any dB-measurement data as I don't have the proper equipment for that. But depending on propagation and the distance to the "other" station the signal strength changes from e.g. "S9" to "inaudible" and vice versa. The only action one has to do is a simple 180°-turn with the little switch on the "ACB-4A" switch box. It only takes a fraction of a second and one is back to business. This works extremely well for DX-stations and
      quite reasonable for others being received via ground/direct wave. How it might be with your "off the end" RFI I've no idea. It depends how close that RFI-source is located. Unfortunately physics doesn't work wonders :'( .

      Anyway, have a nice day and enjoy HAM radio.

      73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
       <oe3epw@...>

      AR  SK

      Am 07.05.2013 18:20, schrieb David Cole:
      Hi Peter,

      WOW!  That is good to hear!  How is the F/B ration on 40 and 30?  I have
      a rather loud RFI source and it will be off the end of the array, so the
      F/B ratio is important to me...

    • David Cole
      Message 2 of 25 , May 8, 2013
        Hi,

        I am a bit worried about that... I understand that the RFI will
        probably not be low angle, so the pattern will be "different". I think
        the best thing is to just build it and try... I am working on the first
        hole today... I of course found a HUGE tree root right where the main
        antenna goes... Sigh... This hole sets the stage for five more
        holes... Four for the four square on 30 meters, and two for the 40
        meter two element array... Can't wait to get the new antenna in
        place...

        Once there, I will tune it for 40 meters, then test it compared to the
        GAP Challenger... After that, I will re-tune it for 30 Meters and test
        it against the really poor dipole I have set up for 30 meters...

        After that, I will return it to 40 meter operation, and add the second
        40 Meter element, then test that against the first single element...
        What fun!

        Once the 40 Meter antenna is running, I will start on teh four square
        for 30 Meters... :)

        --
        Thanks,
        Dave

        On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 11:56 +0200, Peter Eckersberger wrote:

        > Hi David,
        >
        > Sorry for the delay. Have been out of my home yesterday evening.
        >
        > As of your question ... Well, I don't have any dB-measurement data as
        > I don't have the proper equipment for that. But depending on
        > propagation and the distance to the "other" station the signal
        > strength changes from e.g. "S9" to "inaudible" and vice versa. The
        > only action one has to do is a simple 180°-turn with the little switch
        > on the "ACB-4A" switch box. It only takes a fraction of a second and
        > one is back to business. This works extremely well for DX-stations and
        > quite reasonable for others being received via ground/direct wave. How
        > it might be with your "off the end" RFI I've no idea. It depends how
        > close that RFI-source is located. Unfortunately physics doesn't work
        > wonders :'( .
        >
        > Anyway, have a nice day and enjoy HAM radio.
        >

        > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
        > <oe3epw@...>
        >
        > AR SK
        >

        > Am 07.05.2013 18:20, schrieb David Cole:
        >
        > > Hi Peter,
        > >
        > > WOW! That is good to hear! How is the F/B ration on 40 and 30? I have
        > > a rather loud RFI source and it will be off the end of the array, so the
        > > F/B ratio is important to me...

      • Peter Eckersberger
        Message 3 of 25 , May 8, 2013
          Hi David,

          Wish you fun and success with your antenna project. BTW ... I myself didn't dig any holes at all. For the 4 bases I simply put 4 old car wheels (rims plus rubber; leavings of a Honda Civic) onto the ground, put an empty champagne bottle in the center of the rim and filled the rest of the rims with gravel to get the bottles fixed. The vertical radiator tube is put over the bottleneck and guyed with 3
          Kevlar guy ropes in shape of an equilateral triangle. By doing it that way the antenna can be build, moved and removed quite quickly without any problems. It didn't even take half a day to have those 4 verticals up and running :-D .

          73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
           <oe3epw@...>

          AR  SK

          Message 4 of 25 , May 9, 2013
            Nice!! Nicely thought out!

            I'll get something on teh web page, showing construction etc shortly...
            I want to try and get the first 30 Meter vertical up today... Maybe
            even get a few radials out...

            --

            On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:58 +0200, Peter Eckersberger wrote:

            > Hi David,
            >
            > Wish you fun and success with your antenna project. BTW ... I myself
            > didn't dig any holes at all. For the 4 bases I simply put 4 old car
            > wheels (rims plus rubber; leavings of a Honda Civic) onto the ground,
            > put an empty champagne bottle in the center of the rim and filled the
            > rest of the rims with gravel to get the bottles fixed. The vertical
            > radiator tube is put over the bottleneck and guyed with 3 Kevlar guy
            > ropes in shape of an equilateral triangle. By doing it that way the
            > antenna can be build, moved and removed quite quickly without any
            > problems. It didn't even take half a day to have those 4 verticals up
            > and running :-D .
            >

            > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
            > <oe3epw@...>
            >
            > AR SK
            >

            > Am 09.05.2013 05:06, schrieb David Cole:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am a bit worried about that... I understand that the RFI will
            > > probably not be low angle, so the pattern will be "different". I think
            > > the best thing is to just build it and try... I am working on the first
            > > hole today... I of course found a HUGE tree root right where the main
            > > antenna goes... Sigh... This hole sets the stage for five more
            > > holes... Four for the four square on 30 meters, and two for the 40
            > > meter two element array... Can't wait to get the new antenna in
            > > place...
            > >
            > > Once there, I will tune it for 40 meters, then test it compared to the
            > > GAP Challenger... After that, I will re-tune it for 30 Meters and test
            > > it against the really poor dipole I have set up for 30 meters...
            > >
            > > After that, I will return it to 40 meter operation, and add the second
            > > 40 Meter element, then test that against the first single element...
            > > What fun!
            > >
            > > Once the 40 Meter antenna is running, I will start on teh four square
            > > for 30 Meters... :)

          • David Cole
            Message 5 of 25 , May 13, 2013
            Hello Peter,

            I am not sure if I have sent these yet... The image here is teh basic
            infrastructure for both the 30 Meter, and 40 Meter arrays...

            Look at the back of the yard, the five poles there are for the 4 square,
            the center pole is the mount for the controller...

            The two closest poles are for the 40 Meter two element array...

            All concrete is in place, and hardened! The poles are sticking up
            approx 24 inches out of the concrete, and the concrete is at ground
            level, less a small build up to keep water from pooling on the pole.

            The next phase is to run the feed lines to both controller locations,
            and then the first 40 meter vertical goes up. Following that, the
            redials are next. That puts the feed lines under the radial field, and
            deepest. That should get rid of any common mode issues...

            I did model the 30 Meter array for 40 meters to see what it looks
            like... Not pretty... I will have to test a bit more...
            --
            Thanks,
            Dave
            For Amateur Radio equipment reviews and setups see:
            http://www.nk7z.net

            On Thu, 2013-05-09 at 05:58 +0200, Peter Eckersberger wrote:

            > Hi David,
            >
            > Wish you fun and success with your antenna project. BTW ... I myself
            > didn't dig any holes at all. For the 4 bases I simply put 4 old car
            > wheels (rims plus rubber; leavings of a Honda Civic) onto the ground,
            > put an empty champagne bottle in the center of the rim and filled the
            > rest of the rims with gravel to get the bottles fixed. The vertical
            > radiator tube is put over the bottleneck and guyed with 3 Kevlar guy
            > ropes in shape of an equilateral triangle. By doing it that way the
            > antenna can be build, moved and removed quite quickly without any
            > problems. It didn't even take half a day to have those 4 verticals up
            > and running :-D .
            >

            > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
            > <oe3epw@...>
            >
            > AR SK
            >

            > Am 09.05.2013 05:06, schrieb David Cole:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am a bit worried about that... I understand that the RFI will
            > > probably not be low angle, so the pattern will be "different". I think
            > > the best thing is to just build it and try... I am working on the first
            > > hole today... I of course found a HUGE tree root right where the main
            > > antenna goes... Sigh... This hole sets the stage for five more
            > > holes... Four for the four square on 30 meters, and two for the 40
            > > meter two element array... Can't wait to get the new antenna in
            > > place...
            > >
            > > Once there, I will tune it for 40 meters, then test it compared to the
            > > GAP Challenger... After that, I will re-tune it for 30 Meters and test
            > > it against the really poor dipole I have set up for 30 meters...
            > >
            > > After that, I will return it to 40 meter operation, and add the second
            > > 40 Meter element, then test that against the first single element...
            > > What fun!
            > >
            > > Once the 40 Meter antenna is running, I will start on teh four square
            > > for 30 Meters... :)

          • David Cole
            Message 6 of 25 , May 13, 2013
              Oops, I uploaded the wrong photo, Just reverse the description of which
              pole is for which array... The 30 Meter 4 square is closest to the
              camera, and the 40 two element is furtherest away,...

              Message 7 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                Hi David,

                Thank you for the detailed info and congrats for the progress/achievement on your work.

                As of the photo ... Don't worry. I'm not getting it at all :'( . Looks like this "Yahoogroops"-address doesn't accept attachments.

                On the other hand I really would like to see your work. I wonder if you could send the photo via my direct email address <oe3epw@...>. Would appreciate that. TIA.

                Have a nice day.

                73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                 <oe3epw@...>

                AR  SK

                Message 8 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                  I'll put them up on my web page, and then post here when ready...
                  Should be later today Peter...

                  Message 9 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                    Hi Peter,

                    OK I have things up on the web site now... Lots of photos, etc...

                    See:
                    http://www.nk7z.net

                    I would be interested in your thoughts/suggestions, (as well as anyone
                    else), as you are actually running an array you have constructed.

                    Message 10 of 25 , May 14, 2013
                      Hi Dave,

                      I just visited your web-site. Looks really professional. The only thing which puzzles a bit are all those nearby buildings. I'm crossing my fingers that people living there are BCI/TVI resistent ;-) . Anyway, wish you fun and success with the rest of your work and looking forward to meet you on 30.

                      73 de Pez,  OE3EPW
                       <oe3epw@...>

                      AR  SK

                      Message 11 of 25 , May 15, 2013
                        Yes... I hope so as well... That was one of the reasons the 30 Meter
                        array ended up where it was, we can only run 200 watts here, so I expect
                        that will not pose an issue...
                        --

                        On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 07:56 +0200, Peter Eckersberger wrote:

                        > Hi Dave,
                        >
                        > I just visited your web-site. Looks really professional. The only
                        > thing which puzzles a bit are all those nearby buildings. I'm crossing
                        > my fingers that people living there are BCI/TVI resistent ;-) .
                        > Anyway, wish you fun and success with the rest of your work and
                        > looking forward to meet you on 30.
                        >

                        > 73 de Pez, OE3EPW
                        > <oe3epw@...>
                        >
                        > AR SK
                        >

                        > Am 14.05.2013 18:21, schrieb David Cole:
                        >
                        > > Hi Peter,
                        > >
                        > > OK I have things up on the web site now... Lots of photos, etc...
                        > >
                        > > See:
                        > > http://www.nk7z.net
                        > >
                        > > I would be interested in your thoughts/suggestions, (as well as anyone
                        > > else), as you are actually running an array you have constructed.

                      • AC5JV,GEORGE
                        Message 12 of 25 , May 15, 2013
                          HELLO ALL "
                             i have question on antenna i have ?
                          ok , i'm using my 75m end-fed which is 60 feet long, on 30 meters , ok you do the math on it and its just a little over 5/8 wave on 30m.
                          NOW MY QUESTION ?
                            you hear 5/8 wave 2m antennas are supposed to be 3db gain ,would my 5/8 wave on 30m [75m end-fed antenna] will it have gain ?seeing how its 5/8 wave long.
                           i'm feeding it with 50 foot of rg-213 and of course using a mfj949e manual tuner on it .
                              gain or no gain , either way it works for me, i have noticed the 's' unit noise floor is less than on my 160 meter 1/4 wave end-fed.but get about the same 'rx/tx' on it ,
                           thought be interesting question .
                                   thank you ac5jv,george

                          AC5JV, GEORGE
                           146.985 RPT INFO
                          http://www.kc5dbh.freewebspace.com/
                             HAM TRADERS GROUP
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neokhamtraders/
                              KD5KUF PAWN SHOP
                          http://www.siloamspringspawn.com/

                          “The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.”— Will Rogers

                        • Don Leitch
                          Message 13 of 25 , May 15, 2013

                            Ah George 5/8 gain over what ? A standard dipole fed with a tuner?

                            Surely a full length dipole  tuned to perfection with no ATU would out perform the first.

                            I think that's why, we then use full length  loops, and arrays, and beams to get that magical gain, and multiple verticals of course with huge ground radials on salt laden  ground. Ahhhhh don’t I wish

                            Don zl1atb

                            Message 14 of 25 , May 15, 2013
                              Also, what is the height? I broke out EZNEC, and things didn't look
                              good....
                              --

                              On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 08:44 +1200, Don Leitch wrote:

                              > Ah George 5/8 gain over what ? A standard dipole fed with a tuner?
                              >
                              > Surely a full length dipole tuned to perfection with no ATU would out
                              > perform the first.
                              >
                              > I think that's why, we then use full length loops, and arrays, and
                              > beams to get that magical gain, and multiple verticals of course with
                              > huge ground radials on salt laden ground. Ahhhhh don’t I wish
                              >
                              > Don zl1atb

                            • kleks05
                              Message 15 of 25 , May 16, 2013
                                inline...

                                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "AC5JV,GEORGE" <ac5jv@...> wrote:

                                > HELLO ALL "
                                >    i have question on antenna i have ?
                                > ok , i'm using my 75m end-fed which is 60 feet long, on 30 meters , ok you do the math on it and its just a little over 5/8 wave on 30m.
                                > NOW MY QUESTION ?
                                >   you hear 5/8 wave 2m antennas are supposed to be 3db gain ,would my 5/8 wave on 30m [75m end-fed antenna] will it have gain ?seeing how its 5/8 wave long.

                                but..but.. 2m 5/8 is usually vertical. is your end -fed a vertical antenna ??

                                yes, a 5/8 will have a bit more flattened torus (doughnut) shape, when radiator is vertical and have a decent ground plane ( car, radial system); a horizontally oriented 5/8 radiator, with so-so ground system wil have a very disturbed pattern. yes, it will show gain in some directions - and huge attenuation in other directions.

                                For space limited, tower deprived I would recommend delta loop - used one when in HOA space, hiding it in the trees. the beauty of Delta is that it can be quite low above the ground - my base was about 8 ft above ground. Peak was at about 30 ft, and I was able to throw a rope over tree by myself ( with a hammer at the end of the rope:-).

                                >  i'm feeding it with 50 foot of rg-213 and of course using a mfj949e manual tuner on it .
                                >     gain or no gain , either way it works for me, i have noticed the 's' unit noise floor is less than on my 160 meter 1/4 wave end-fed.but get about the same 'rx/tx' on it ,
                                >  thought be interesting question .
                                >          thank you ac5jv,george

                                K4ED (Mark) rules of the antennas:
                                - any antenna is better then no antenna, and will show some gain over a dummy load;
                                - any resonant antenna is better then a dummy load;
                                - once you are on the air, the path of improvements is limited by your creativity, financial resources and XYL approval. Full steam ahead !

                                > AC5JV, GEORGE

                                vy 73 de KU1T
                                _zjt
                                Message 16 of 25 , May 26, 2013
                                  David NK7Z,

                                  Good luck on your 30m 4square vertical project. Please keep us posted on your progress either by postings or picture links and when completed - maybe your results too.

                                  I can confirm that Pez OE3EPW has a big signal with his 4square vertical array - his signal is one of the biggest coming out of EU on the 30m band from what I see from here (EN50dp using 2 ele yagi)...and many times the only 30m EU signal I see/copy when the path is poor (no matter what mode...one night on RTTY he liked to blow me out of my chair with a 20 over signal on what I thought was a dead path to EU!).

                                  On a lighter note maybe that is why Pez has his verticals on rims/wheels that way when the other EU ops get tired of him working the World he can either hide them quickly or he has a way to quickly get out of town! hi

                                  Have fun and I think you are in for some fun with your project...30m a great band.

                                  Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                                  www.30mdg.net

                                  Message 17 of 25 , May 26, 2013
                                    Hi George AC5JV,

                                    I think you have often posted your noise floor was just too high to hear signals on 30m and this antenna seems to have helped with that so good on that!

                                    I forgot to post our contact a few weeks ago so I guess I should post it now that this antenna of yours did quite well picking up my signal here in EN50 Peoria IL on Saturday - so well and such a good path that we made a nice contact with me using my dummy load in the basement! Thanks for the 30m dummy load contact!

                                    I think from what I see from here when on the 30m band that plain and simple for the PSK section of 30m the band is just under used in NA - sure some traces here and there in the early mornings or afternoons but nothing like the other bands and what is interesting is that 30m has some great paths and we have proved that over and over - not sure why NA is asleep on 30m but it is what it is so it's not always the antenna, paths, etc but just no interest for whatever reason not to use the 30m band (keep in mind trying a different digital mode might help - JT65, WSJT-JT9-1 modes seem to have more 30m traffic now that PSK section of the band).

                                    Thanks
                                    Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                                    www.30mdg.net

                                    --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "AC5JV,GEORGE" <ac5jv@...> wrote:

                                    > HELLO ALL "
                                    >    i have question on antenna i have ?
                                    > ok , i'm using my 75m end-fed which is 60 feet long, on 30 meters , ok you do the math on it and its just a little over 5/8 wave on 30m.
                                    > NOW MY QUESTION ?
                                    >   you hear 5/8 wave 2m antennas are supposed to be 3db gain ,would my 5/8 wave on 30m [75m end-fed antenna] will it have gain ?seeing how its 5/8 wave long.
                                    >  i'm feeding it with 50 foot of rg-213 and of course using a mfj949e manual tuner on it .
                                    >     gain or no gain , either way it works for me, i have noticed the 's' unit noise floor is less than on my 160 meter 1/4 wave end-fed.but get about the same 'rx/tx' on it ,
                                    >  thought be interesting question .
                                    >          thank you ac5jv,george
                                    >

                                    > AC5JV, GEORGE
                                    >  146.985 RPT INFO
                                    > http://www.kc5dbh.freewebspace.com/
                                    >    HAM TRADERS GROUP
                                    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neokhamtraders/
                                    >     KD5KUF PAWN SHOP
                                    > http://www.siloamspringspawn.com/
                                    >

                                    > “The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.”â€" Will Rogers

                                  • David Cole
                                    Message 18 of 25 , May 26, 2013
                                      Hi Don,

                                      Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, the entire wheel rim thing came
                                      about, AFTER I had holes dug and concrete poured! :) Wish I had
                                      thought of that prior to all of that, oh well...

                                      The current status is on hold for a few more days, the rains have
                                      returned, and I am letting the ground get soaked prior to digging the
                                      feed line trenches, etc.

                                      I have decided to run all the main feed-lines to my outbuilding, ( after
                                      phasing), then from there, an antenna switch and to the shack... That
                                      way, I can add tuners, etc and have them under cover later... So... I
                                      will be renting a trenching machine soon, maybe as early as next week.
                                      Once that is done, I will then mount up Vertical #1, construct the
                                      radial field, measuring all the way, then post results. As soon as that
                                      is done, I'll re-tune it for 30 meters!

                                      I am currently building a Christman feed for the 40 meter array...