Re : Contest

  • raf3151019
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013
      I think the non use of the so called WARC bands is a lot more than a gentlemans agreement. It was agreed at the World Amateur Radio Conference that these bands would not be used for contesting. Attempts have been made to change this ruling and also to change the agreement use of 30 metres to have phone communications

      Mel G0GQK
    • Scott Currier
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2013

        Thank you Mel, I was not aware of that.

        I'll have to follow up on your lead and see what I can find.

        I'd like to see phone on 30 meters but not in the present 50 kHz that we have now.

        50 kHz works pretty well for cw and digital. 20 kHz is the minimum required for digital in my opinion and 30 kHz is good for a cw allocation.

        The IARU has suggested that member societies try to get domestic allocations on 30 meters near the present secondary allocation that we have now.

        This additional spectrum could be used for phone.

        Kind of like what was done on 60 meters.

        14 to 7 mHz is a pretty big jump for phone. However, I so rarely operate phone that I can say that I don't really have a horse in this race except to say that the present 50 kHz allocation is good for cw and digital. Those who want phone on 30 need to try to get domestic allocations, until that happens, I'll be happy with what we have.

        We're expecting some snow again here in north east MA and southern NH.

        We finally got rid of most of our snow, now we're getting some more. Oh well.

        We turn the clocks ahead this weekend so the days will instant be an hour longer. Very handy for antenna work after work.

        I expect to have a WARC band fan dipole installed by the end of the month. Hopefully that will improve my signal on 30.

        73 and thank you for your input

        Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

        To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
        From: Gzerogqk@...