Re: [30MDG] Contest?

  • *****
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
      I just woke up and the JT65 portion of the band looked like there was a contest going on. :) I figured out it was TX5K on 10.136 and everyone was up 2.

      Eddy N4ABN

      On 3/3/2013 10:01 AM, Joe Brown wrote:

      Contest are not allow on WARC bands. It may be a DxExpedition.

      – Joe W2JLB

      On 3/3/2013 9:58 AM, ***** wrote:

      Is there a contest on 30m?

      Eddy N4ABN

    • Marc - ON7SS - OO9O
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
        If anyone is interested in letting his WARC bands QSO's count for a competition, have a look at this.

        http://www.uba.be/en/hf/contest-rules/rules-of-the-uba-international-prefix-hunt

        54 participants so far, but I can manage some more.

        73  Marc, ON7SS - OO9O

        --

        uba logoAmateurRadio Station

        ON7SS - OO9O

        MarcDomen

        UBAHF Contest Manager

        http://www.uba.be

        http://www.on7ss.be

        Op 3/03/2013 15:58, ***** schreef:

        Is there a contest on 30m?

        Eddy N4ABN

      • raynaud jean
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2013
          Just Clipperton island, TX5C !
        • raynaud jean
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2013

              The Warc (30-17-12) bands have historically been contest free.

              This seems to be a gentlemans agreement enforced by the fact that if any contest organizer were to break with this tradition would likely receive such a stinging rebuke from the ham community that they'd not be likely to suggest a contest on the Warc bands again.

              I believe that the big contest stations probably don't want to have to tool up for three new bands with the required additional radios and dedicated antennas.

              A large contest station will typicall have an operating position for each band and be setup to operate all or multiple bands at the same time. Sometimes the 10 meter station and the 160 meter station are one and the same as the two bands aren't usually usable at the same time.

              A typical setup for a large multi-multi station would be a high end radio, legal limit amp, band pass filters to allow simultaneous multiband operation without destorying any receivers, as well as a 4 stack of monoband yagis on bands 40 and up. Add three more bands and it gets even more expensive than it already is. Some stations go even further than that.

              The addition of the Warc bands into the major contests would also make comparison with historical results invalid.

              Thus, I believe that the contest community does not want the Warc bands and non contesters don't want the contests on the Warc bands so it works out well. A win-win situation.

              Of course mention of the small size of the Warc bands is required.

              I only participate in some contests and very casually at that. I am well aware of the chaos that a contest can reek on a band. On the small Warc bands the effect would be even worse.

              Thus, no contests on the Warc bands makes a lot of sense.

              It's nice to have some bands to get away from the contests if you don't feel like participating.

              If you include 60 meters, that makes four non-contest bands.

              I hope you have a nice evening.

              73 Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

              To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
              From: on7ss.oo9o@...