RE: [30MDG] Re: 30 meters Digital Mode legal restrictions?

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013

      Hello Robin, I am like you in region 1.

      The RSGB band plan says:

      10 MHz (30m) 10100-10140 max bandwidth 200 Hz, UK usage Telegraphy (CW)  10.106-QRP (low power) calling frequency.

      10140-10150 max bandwidth 500 Hz, UK usage all narrow band modes.

      So if we use 10138 for JT65 we are in the CW part!

      Barry, MØIOW. 30 Meter Digital Group #0013

      My web site on Amateur Radio,  the History of the Isle of Wight & Newport the capital.

      www.india-whisky.org.uk  My web Site India Whisky.

      Pulmonary  Fibrosis Group

      A charity (reg no; 1149901) connected to this group has just been set up and is called 'The Pulmonary Fibrosis Trust'. Any donations should be sent to Malcolm Weallans, honorary teasurer, The Pulmonary Fibrosis Trust, 11 Redwood, Burnham, SL1 8JN. email at Malcolm.Weallans@.... Funds can be deposited direct to the bank at NatWest account, burnham branch, sort-code 60-04-53, and the account number is 13603604.

      Pulmonary Fibrosis Trust.

      We also have several facebook groups and pages: -

      Pulmonary Fibrosis Carers & Bereaved Group

      PulmonaryFibrosisPatientsUK :

    • Daithi
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013

        The problem is that for some unknown reason Region 1 decided not to harmonise bandplans with the other two Regions. However as the bandplan for GB and Ireland is ‘recommended’ and not statutory (the bandplan for the US is statutory) a bit of fudging has to take place.

        Why they can’t all get their act together and have the same allocations has always been a mystery to me

        Daithi GI7OMY

        PulmonaryFibrosisPatientsUK :

      • Robin Hodgson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
          Hi Barry,
          Many thanks for the reply.  My question was not what  IARU, RSGB or your local club recommend.
          I am concerned by the legal conditions which your UK ham licence allows for you to operate on 30 meters.
          Summarising frrom the website of OFCOM in the UK...

          • 30 m Frequencies.. 10.100 - 10.150 MHz
          • Modes.................. Any
          • Bandwidth............ Efficient use of the spectrum
          • Power................. < 400 watts PEP (<100 watts for intermediate licence, <10 watts for Novice)

          It is unfortunate that various amateur radio user groups' recommendations do not reflect the present
          common usage, as shown by the chart from G3NRW.
          It appears that in the UK you are operating legally, if you respect the above OFCOM definitions.
          Any visiting hams to the UK will be required to respect this also.

          Thanks again for your input

          Robin, 9H1ZZ

          To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
            Thanks Dáithí,
            There is a very significant difference between the UK's OFCOM regulations and Ireland's COMREG regulations.
            Here is a summary of the present Irish legal rules(dated 2 January 2013):

            • 30 m Frequencies.. 10.100 - 10.140 MHz
            • Modes.................  CW (Morse) only
            • Bandwidth............
            • Power................. < 400 watts PEP
            AND
            • 30 m Frequencies.. 10.140 - 10.150 MHz
            • Modes.................  Narrow band modes - digimodes (including CW)
            • Bandwidth............ < 500 Hz
            • Power................. < 400 watts PEP

            (For Modes, licencees are referred to IARU definitions.)

            Dáithí, it appears that (at least on 30 meters) the IARU Region 1 band  plan has been made statutory in Ireland.
            I hope that EI hams are aware of these legal restrictions.

            Thanks for your input
            73 Robin, 9H1ZZ

            To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013

              Robin – the CW only aspect was changed some time ago. I was in touch with the IRTS about it five years ago and they made representations to ComReg who altered it to permit digital mode transmissions.

              Check here http://www.irts.ie/cgi/downloads.cgi

              MHz: 10100 - 10140 200 CW, 10116 kHz - QRP Centre of Activity 10140 - 10150 500 Narrow band modes – digimodes
              SSB may be used during emergencies involving the immediate safety of life and property and only by stations actually involved in the handling of emergency traffic.
              The band segment 10120 kHz to 10140 kHz may be used for SSB transmissions in the area of Africa south of the equator during local daylight hours.
              News bulletins on any mode should not be transmitted on the 10 MHz band.”

              Daithi, GI7OMY

              ,___

            • Scott Currier
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
                "The problem is that for some unknown reason Region 1 decided not to harmonise bandplans with the other two Regions. However as the bandplan for GB and Ireland is ‘recommended’ and not statutory (the bandplan for the US is statutory) a bit of fudging has to take place.

                Why they can’t all get their act together and have the same allocations has always been a mystery to me

                Daithi GI7OMY"
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                FYI, in the US the digital and cw portions of a band are one and the same. Thus on 30 meters cw and digital is legal between 10.1 and 1.150 mHz.

                Our power limit is 200 watts on 30.

                I don't usually agree with our Federal Communications Commission. However, I think that allowing digital and cw in the non-phone portions of the HF bands has worked out well for us.

                On 160 cw, digital, and phone are legal anywhere from 1.8 to 2.0 mHz. That actually has worked out reasonably well too.

                I do agree with you Daithi, it would make sense to harmonize the allocations.

                In truth I think that the best way of doing it for 30 meters is to allow digital and cw anywhere in the band.

                If a regulatory agency feels that it has to divide the two, I would think that a 25/25 split or a 20/30 split between digita/cw makes a lot more sense than a 10/40 split.

                10 kHz is clearly not enough spectrum for digital and any bandplan or regulation that says otherwise is out of touch with reality.

                I think that hams in countries that do allow digital below 10.140 should start operating below 10.140 and spread things out.

                Our friends that cannot operate digital below .140 can use the digital activity below .140 as evidence that their allocation no longer matches reality and thus should be changed to reflect what others are doing.

                If 10.130 to 10.140 was full of digital activity, that would make it easier for hams in countries that do not have that allocation to get their regulatory body to change the rules.

                73 and best wishes to all.

                Scott KT1B Haverhill, MA

                To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013
                  "The excellent work that Ian, G3NRW has performed in providing 30MDG users with his band utilisation chart shows that the band plan issued by IARU (at least in Region 1) is far from being respected. Hopefully this will spur the IARU to re-assess their recommendations."

                  I couldn't agree more. 10 kHz is not enough space for digital.

                  To: 30MDG@yahoogroups.com
                  From: robin_a_hodgson@...
                  Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:52:07 +0000
                  Subject: [30MDG] 30 meters Digital Mode legal restrictions?

                  The excellent work that Ian, G3NRW has performed in providing 30MDG users with his band utilisation chart shows that the band plan issued by IARU (at least in Region 1) is far from being respected. Hopefully this will spur the IARU to re-assess their recommendations.

                  However, of more concern is whether the licencing administrations in various countries are legally restricting use of digital modes from certain portions of the 30 meter band. Each of us is responsible for adhering to our country's spectrum allocations according to the terms and conditions of our licences. I strongly recommend that we all check these, since I know that 30 meter digital mode restrictions do exist in some countries. Unfortunately, not all administrations make their amateur radio spectrum allocations publicly available, or advise when they modify them.

                  If anyone would like to forward to me (off this list) their country's current 30 meter allocations (only where there is a restriction on Digital Modes), then I would be pleased to collect these and prepare them for a commented presentation to this group.
                  Thanks to all for your co-operation

                  Robin, 9H1ZZ
                  off list replies to: robin@...

                • Don Leitch
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 24, 2013

                    Its weird that regions are so different, vk use ssb in that lower part , dx peditions run riot with rtty, and here in zl we have a marine pactor  ham station, runs unattended 24 /7 filling the whole waterfall strangling chickens, and wide band, and we know thats not allowed, yet no one stops him ? why

                    Don zl1atb