Re: SIM31 mode - what and where

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hello Dr Manuel YV5MM and Fred DL6XAZ,

      Thank you both for the reply. I'm seeing more of this SIM31 mode being used but not sure what the advantage is to this mode or if there is one over an already established most popular mode of BPSK31, does anyone know? Guess we will have to find time to download then find one of you to compare or experiment with SIM31.

      Thanks
      Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
      www.30mdg.net

      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2013
        GM,
        Have yet to make a 30m SIM31 contact - tried a few times over the last few weeks but no luck - not sure what the advantage it would have anyway but from what I have seen I guess this is a dead mode, right? Anyone using this mode on 30m?

        Thanks
        Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        www.30mdg.net

        --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "dl6xaz" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

        > Hi Don,
        > I got aware of this mode only by your question hereunder. Btw I had seen apparent psk31 tracks which I could not read at all, so it seems it is used on air. Anyway, look here: http://www.on4nb.be/sim31.htm#English
        > I downloaded the stuff and shall give it a look this week as today I am on grandpa duties...
        > Have a good day
        > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
        >

        > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
        > >
        > > GA,
        > > Sorry to say I must be a little behind and I think searched about this SIM31 mode a few weeks back but never got complete information. Does anyone use this mode? Is it like PSK31? What are the advantages or disadvantages of the mode? Where do you download?
        > >
        > > Any information appreciated and thanks.
        > >
        > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
        > > www.30mdg.net
        > >
        > > *** below from HamSpots 10/27/12 ***
        > >
        > > 19m 3V8SIM 10142.00 SIM31 Tunisia F1ABL
        > >

        > > 30MDGDAY de F1ABL (30MDG-1180)
        > >
        > > CQ CQ DF+1000Hz
        > >
        > > [age 21m] Oct-27 16:08utc
        > >
        > > 10142.00 kHz
        > > SIMPSK31
        > >

        > > 30MDGDAY de VE2HAR (30MDG-2170)
        > >
        > > CALLING CQ
        > >
        > > [age 49m] Oct-27 15:40utc
        > >
        > > 10140.00 kHz
        > > SIM31

      • W. J. Karle
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2013
          Don:

          I have used SIM31 although rarely on 30M and mostly on 20M.

          I find I have to announce myself on the web page to improve chances of a QSO.

          In my opinion, use of the mode has dropped since January 2013, or so, for no apparent reason.

          Some have complained of the macros being far too limited for a conversational mode, being patterned like JT-65 with structured exchanges.  I have read but have not tried a later version of the software that is supposed to allow for more conversation.

          I would be pleased to run a sked with you on or after May  31.

          73,

          Bill

          W. J. (Bill) Karle, VE4KZ
          Radio Amateurs of Canada -- Maple Leaf Operator Member
          Amateur Radio Emergency Service -- Certified Emergency Coordinator

          Have yet to make a 30m SIM31 contact - tried a few times over the last few weeks but no luck - not sure what the advantage it would have anyway but from what I have seen I guess this is a dead mode, right? Anyone using this mode on 30m?

          Thanks
          Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
          www.30mdg.net

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "dl6xaz" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

          > Hi Don,
          > I got aware of this mode only by your question hereunder. Btw I had seen apparent psk31 tracks which I could not read at all, so it seems it is used on air. Anyway, look here: http://www.on4nb.be/sim31.htm#English
          > I downloaded the stuff and shall give it a look this week as today I am on grandpa duties...
          > Have a good day
          > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ
          >

          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@> wrote:
          > >
          > > GA,
          > > Sorry to say I must be a little behind and I think searched about this SIM31 mode a few weeks back but never got complete
          information.  Does anyone use this mode?  Is it like PSK31?  What are the advantages or disadvantages of the mode?  Where do you download?

          > > Any information appreciated and thanks.
          > >
          > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
          > > www.30mdg.net
          > >
          > > *** below from HamSpots 10/27/12 ***
          > >
          > > 19m 3V8SIM 10142.00 SIM31 Tunisia F1ABL
          > >

          > > 30MDGDAY de F1ABL (30MDG-1180)
          > >
          > > CQ CQ DF+1000Hz
          > >
          > > [age 21m] Oct-27 16:08utc
          > >
          > > 10142.00 kHz
          > > SIMPSK31
          > >

          > > 30MDGDAY de VE2HAR (30MDG-2170)
          > >
          > > CALLING CQ
          > >
          > > [age 49m] Oct-27 15:40utc
          > >
          > > 10140.00 kHz
          > > SIM31

          ------------------------------------

          Please join in with us on the 30 Meter Band. When in the shack use the 30 mtr digital Spots page made possible by Laurie VK3AMA

          http://hamspots.net/30mdg/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional