RE: [30MDG] 30MDG Muli Mode Event Weekend Oct 27/28? 5 yrs, 6,000 mem, Celebrate?

  • Barry
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
      I will be away for a few days on the 28th October, but good luck to all who
      take part.
      Barry M0IOW, 30MDG#013

      GE all 30MDG Members....

      Well,

      We are well over due and now we actually have a reason to celebrate so how
      about it? Anyone ready to get on the band and make some noise? Experiment?
      Try different modes? Meet other 30DMG Members? Promote the 30m band? Have
      some ragchews with 30MDG friends?

      Please let me know what you think and if you think October 27/28 weekend
      might work. Looking at the contest calendar I try to stay away from
      weekends that have other digital mode contests or activities so it appears
      the last weekend of October might work with the CQ WW SSB Contest going on
      but although some of course will participate in that which is great we are a
      group of mostly digital ops and promoting the 30m band a non-contest band so
      it might be a weekend to have some fun on 30m band, what say you?

      Time has flew by...30MDG now at 5 years old, might hit 6,000 members in
      November 2012 coming up, we have 30% participation in our 30MDG Awards
      Program issuing over 31,000 Awards...time to celebrate!

      Thanks to all that respond, read this, and that participate.

      Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
      (if we go with it please help me out once we announce the final information
      and post to your friends, clubs, groups, Ham sites, or your websites - every
      bit helps- the more that participate the more fun for all)
    • Ralph Stout
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
        Works for me! Let's do this!

        Sent from my iPod
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
          Hi all,
          so, let's go ahead and crowd the band even further! Ok, slightly exaggerated but here in Northern Europe we cannot complain about lack of activity. Yesterday evening I counted 15 different digital tracks at the same time, and uncounted CW QSOs. It is a band which is on equal terms with the other two WARC bands.
          The deliberate QRM weirdos continue trying to make DX impossible, including 30m band. Meantime I think it is just one person doing it, by observing what he is doing and how. It is someone with an electronic key and most likely an older rig without ability to tune on top, or lacking the operational knowledge, and he is located in Europe. Since I don't have a rotary antenna, I cannot pinpoint into the probable direction. I think my mates of bandwatch are having a look at the matter already but anyone with concrete additional info is welcome to contact me privately.
          Also I did observe three Europeans transmitting SSTV on 30m but with large bandwidth (Scottie and Martin); as we do know we are limited to 500 Hz.
          As for you guys stateside: if you didn't try JT65 yet, think about using that mode between 10.138 and 10.140 between 20z and 08z as there are regulars over here listening for you, collecting states and counties.
          all the best to all, cuagn
          vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "kb9umt" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

          > GE all 30MDG Members....
          >
          > Well,
          >
          > We are well over due and now we actually have a reason to celebrate so how about it? Anyone ready to get on the band and make some noise? Experiment? Try different modes? Meet other 30DMG Members? Promote the 30m band? Have some ragchews with 30MDG friends?
          >
          > Please let me know what you think and if you think October 27/28 weekend might work. Looking at the contest calendar I try to stay away from weekends that have other digital mode contests or activities so it appears the last weekend of October might work with the CQ WW SSB Contest going on but although some of course will participate in that which is great we are a group of mostly digital ops and promoting the 30m band a non-contest band so it might be a weekend to have some fun on 30m band, what say you?
          >
          > Time has flew by...30MDG now at 5 years old, might hit 6,000 members in November 2012 coming up, we have 30% participation in our 30MDG Awards Program issuing over 31,000 Awards...time to celebrate!
          >
          > Thanks to all that respond, read this, and that participate.
          >
          > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
          > (if we go with it please help me out once we announce the final information and post to your friends, clubs, groups, Ham sites, or your websites - every bit helps- the more that participate the more fun for all)

        • kb9umt
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
            Thank you Barry and Ralph for the replies

            Any others? All are welcome.

            Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
            www.30mdg.net

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 7, 2012
              Hi My friend Fred,
              Thank you for the reply and hope all is well your way..my reply below each starting with ***

              --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "dl6xaz" <dl6xaz@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > so, let's go ahead and crowd the band even further!

              *** Ouch - that is of course not the purpose

              Ok, slightly exaggerated but here in Northern Europe we cannot complain about lack of activity.

              *** Good for EU having activity, not the case here in NA on 30m digial anyway (from what I see looking at info/spots/data/and my limited time in the shack)

              Yesterday evening I counted 15 different digital tracks at the same time, and uncounted CW QSOs.

              *** Wow, 15 traces..that is good and once the sun is down here in Central USA and most are in bed the 30m band comes alive for about an hour or two for me with the last EU on the band before they go to bed so I see usually 4 to 7 traces from EU - most on verticals or dipoles with 57 signals here -other night Israel station 59+10over, maybe 1 or 2 from NA but not many - CW portion of the band more active here in NA than the digital portion (that of course my view but I have not been active as much this year but when I am digital on 30m for NA seems low, again my view from EN50)

              >It is a band which is on equal terms with the other two WARC bands.
              > The deliberate QRM weirdos continue trying to make DX impossible, including 30m band.

              *** Just this week lurking around noticed some other NA ops commenting on just what you said and asking about EU ops and are they just new ops that don't understand good operating procedures? This was on 15m band but I'm sure some are on 30m too - guess they need some brushing up - I for one would not bother with them or reply back if I feel they are operating in such a way

              >Meantime I think it is just one person doing it, by observing what he is doing and how. It is someone with an electronic key and most likely an older rig without ability to tune on top, or lacking the operational knowledge, and he is located in Europe. Since I don't have a rotary antenna, I cannot pinpoint into the probable direction.

              *** I would let you borrow the HB 2ele yagi but doubt your neighbors would like it hi

              > I think my mates of bandwatch are having a look at the matter already but anyone with concrete additional info is welcome to contact me privately.

              *** GL on that Fred and hope you get some additional info

              > Also I did observe three Europeans transmitting SSTV on 30m but with large bandwidth (Scottie and Martin); as we do know we are limited to 500 Hz.

              *** They must be corrected - that is not good - we have had a couple here in NA join in on the Saturday SSTVN not using narrow but they were corrected and also emailed - hasn't happend much here though and actually SSTVN for 30m has not much activity

              > As for you guys stateside: if you didn't try JT65 yet, think about using that mode between 10.138 and 10.140 between 20z and 08z as there are regulars over here listening for you, collecting states and counties.

              *** Could not agree more Fred - those wanting to work DX but have limited antennas, power, or propagation is poor JT65 sure works so agree - I find most times the signals are strong enough for me to work the World on 30m with other digital modes I can have more of an exchange with but at times JT65 does the trick with less effort for sure

              > all the best to all, cuagn
              > vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

              *** Same to you Fred and hope to CUAGN on the band soon!
              Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
              www.30mdg.net

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
                Hi Don,
                thanks very much, very kind of you to comment in detail. Nothing I could add, except for a short remark on operating skills.
                Let's be fair: all of us at times fail here or there, either too much audio drive, or QSX forgot to switch off, or not spot-on, or using a broad b/w mode where it shouldn't be, or similar. For us old hams I claim "senior moments", but despite all understanding for newcomers I complain about those who substitute skills with power; they are a minority but a nuisance sometimes. If on top they start exchanging foul language, then something is wrong. It is where we "oldies" are asked to step in because our authorities are not getting active then. I remember having seen a comment from a recent dxpeditioner on a cluster "JAs shut up!" - this is bad style. Ham radio and good manners should go hand in hand, always.

                Finally: I am working with a mere homemade vertical of 9m/27ft length and three radials, all on my 1st floor balcony in flat land with very dry ground, and power is usually no more than 40W digital/100W CW. It carries me round the globe, propagation permitting. I fail to understand why there are beacon-like digital stations here in Europe which arrive on my aerial with 9+20 or more nearly all the time. What's the sense if they can't hear the replies to their CQs ? You can't work him if you don't hear him!

                Well, hope to catch some new calls for my log soon. Good luck to all,
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ #988

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
                  FYI
                  Have had only around 10 replies so not sure we have enough here interested anymore but from the ones I have got back here or emailed most seem okay with Oct 27/28 weekend (although as stated is CQ WW SSB Contest Weekend). Did have a couple concerned if we might pick another weekend as they would be participating in the CQ WW SSB Contest.

                  So any other comments about our weekend?

                  Will you participate?

                  Does another weekend look better than Oct 27/28?

                  I'm not sure what weekend would be best as most all weekends we will be up against some sort of contest going on (usually I try to stay away from any digital contests - and if all else fails we pick one since 30m is a no contest band some might want to have a place to go if they don't join in the contest for that particular weekend).

                  Do you have a suggestion on another weekend?

                  See below:
                  http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestcal.html

                  0600Z-0900Z, Oct 14
                  + ARRL School Club Roundup 1300Z, Oct 15 to 2400Z, Oct 19
                  + NCCC Sprint 0230Z-0300Z, Oct 19
                  + JARTS WW RTTY Contest 0000Z, Oct 20 to 2400Z, Oct 21
                  + Araucaria VHF Contest 0000Z, Oct 20 to 1600Z, Oct 21
                  + 10-10 Int. Fall Contest, CW 0001Z, Oct 20 to 2359Z, Oct 21
                  + New York QSO Party 1400Z, Oct 20 to 0200Z, Oct 21
                  + Iowa QSO Party 1400Z-2300Z, Oct 20
                  + Stew Perry Topband Challenge 1500Z, Oct 20 to 1500Z, Oct 21
                  + Worked All Germany Contest 1500Z, Oct 20 to 1459Z, Oct 21
                  + Feld Hell Sprint 2000Z-2200Z, Oct 20
                  + Asia-Pacific Fall Sprint, CW 0000Z-0200Z, Oct 21
                  + UBA ON Contest, 2m 0600Z-1000Z, Oct 21
                  + Illinois QSO Party 1700Z, Oct 21 to 0100Z, Oct 22
                  + Run for the Bacon QRP Contest 0100Z-0300Z, Oct 22
                  + SKCC Sprint 0000Z-0200Z, Oct 24
                  + CWops Mini-CWT Test 1300Z-1400Z, Oct 24 and
                  1900Z-2000Z, Oct 24 and
                  0300Z-0400Z, Oct 25
                  + RSGB 80m Club Sprint, SSB 1900Z-2000Z, Oct 25
                  + NCCC Sprint 0230Z-0300Z, Oct 26
                  + CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB 0000Z, Oct 27 to 2400Z, Oct 28

                  November 2012
                  + NCCC Sprint 0230Z-0300Z, Nov 2
                  + ARRL EME Contest 0000Z, Nov 3 to 2359Z, Nov 4
                  + Ukrainian DX Contest 1200Z, Nov 3 to 1200Z, Nov 4
                  + ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW 2100Z, Nov 3 to 0300Z, Nov 5
                  + High Speed Club CW Contest 0900Z-1100Z, Nov 4 and
                  1500Z-1700Z, Nov 4
                  + DARC 10-Meter Digital Contest 1100Z-1700Z, Nov 4
                  + ARS Spartan Sprint 0200Z-0400Z, Nov 6
                  + NCCC Sprint 0230Z-0300Z, Nov 9
                  + WAE DX Contest, RTTY 0000Z, Nov 10 to 2359Z, Nov 11
                  + 10-10 Int. Fall Contest, Digital 0001Z, Nov 10 to 2359Z, Nov 11
                  + JIDX Phone Contest 0700Z, Nov 10 to 1300Z, Nov 11

                  --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "kb9umt" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                  > GE all 30MDG Members....
                  >
                  > Well,
                  >
                  > We are well over due and now we actually have a reason to celebrate so how about it? Anyone ready to get on the band and make some noise? Experiment? Try different modes? Meet other 30DMG Members? Promote the 30m band? Have some ragchews with 30MDG friends?
                  >
                  > Please let me know what you think and if you think October 27/28 weekend might work. Looking at the contest calendar I try to stay away from weekends that have other digital mode contests or activities so it appears the last weekend of October might work with the CQ WW SSB Contest going on but although some of course will participate in that which is great we are a group of mostly digital ops and promoting the 30m band a non-contest band so it might be a weekend to have some fun on 30m band, what say you?
                  >
                  > Time has flew by...30MDG now at 5 years old, might hit 6,000 members in November 2012 coming up, we have 30% participation in our 30MDG Awards Program issuing over 31,000 Awards...time to celebrate!
                  >
                  > Thanks to all that respond, read this, and that participate.
                  >
                  > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                  > (if we go with it please help me out once we announce the final information and post to your friends, clubs, groups, Ham sites, or your websites - every bit helps- the more that participate the more fun for all)

                • xlhrules
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2012
                    I'll participate if I can hear on 30!! 30 MDG #5007

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 11, 2012
                      GM,

                      Hearing no other suggestions and assuming many of you that don't contest or do much voice/ssb but like digital keyboard modes we will go foward with the 27 & 28 October weekend... more info to come then and let's roll with it to have some fun on 30m band.

                      Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                      www.30mdg.net

                    • ik6zde
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 19, 2012
                        Yes!

                        I will be on air.

                        Nice idea and happy bday.

                        I set a banner for 30MDG in my little web page.

                        Fabrizio 30MDG#3632 ik6zde (.it)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 19, 2012
                          Hello Fabrizio IK6ZDE,

                          Many thanks for the reply and look forward to working you in any mode on the band (propagation willing). Thank you also for promoting on your website http://www.ik6zde.it/ very nice!

                          Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                          www.30mdg.net

                          --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "ik6zde" <ik6zde@...> wrote:

                          > Yes!
                          >
                          > I will be on air.
                          >
                          > Nice idea and happy bday.
                          >
                          > I set a banner for 30MDG in my little web page.
                          >
                          > Fabrizio 30MDG#3632 ik6zde (.it)
                          >

                          > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "kb9umt" <dhobson123@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > GE all 30MDG Members....
                          > >
                          > > Well,
                          > >
                          > > We are well over due and now we actually have a reason to celebrate so how about it? Anyone ready to get on the band and make some noise? Experiment? Try different modes? Meet other 30DMG Members? Promote the 30m band? Have some ragchews with 30MDG friends?
                          > >
                          > > Please let me know what you think and if you think October 27/28 weekend might work. Looking at the contest calendar I try to stay away from weekends that have other digital mode contests or activities so it appears the last weekend of October might work with the CQ WW SSB Contest going on but although some of course will participate in that which is great we are a group of mostly digital ops and promoting the 30m band a non-contest band so it might be a weekend to have some fun on 30m band, what say you?
                          > >
                          > > Time has flew by...30MDG now at 5 years old, might hit 6,000 members in November 2012 coming up, we have 30% participation in our 30MDG Awards Program issuing over 31,000 Awards...time to celebrate!
                          > >
                          > > Thanks to all that respond, read this, and that participate.
                          > >
                          > > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                          > > (if we go with it please help me out once we announce the final information and post to your friends, clubs, groups, Ham sites, or your websites - every bit helps- the more that participate the more fun for all)

                        • ku4a
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2012
                            I hope everyone enjoyed the operating event as much as I did. I managed to resist the temptation to go to higher bands :-). I camped out on 30m JT65 all weekend, and learned a good bit about propagation on the band.

                            I started the weekend needing 7 states to complete W.A.S. on 30. I worked 4 of those states. Plus a ton of DX. Thanks for all the QSOs!

                            KU4A