WF9XJD - Experimental Station - Operating Schedule - 2 Feb 2012

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
      Fellow operators,

      Experimental station, WF9XJD, will be making spread spectrum transmissions based on the following schedule:

      Note - Dial frequencies.

      Date:  02 Feb 2012
      Time: 0000Z - 0155Z
      Frequencies(MHz): 10.132(primary ), 10.133 (alt #1), and 10.134MHz (alt #3)
      Modes:   ROS16/500, ROS8/500, ROS4/500
      Bandwidth:  .5 KHz
      ROS Version: 6.9.0
      Transceiver:   Flex 5000A
      Transmitter Power:  .5 to 25 Watts

      Date:  02 Feb 2012
      Time: 0200Z - 0355Z
      Frequencies(MHz): 7055(Primary), 7.039(alt #1), 7044(alt #2), 7115(alt #3)
      Modes:   ROS 16/500, ROS 8/500, ROS 8/500, ROS16/2000, ROS8/2000, ROS4/2000
      Bandwidth:  <=2.5 KHz

      Date:  02 Feb 2012
      Time: 0400Z - 0600Z
      Frequencies(MHz): 3.583(Primary), 3.585, 3.595
      Modes:   ROS16/2000, ROS8/2000, ROS4/2000
      Bandwidth:  <=2.5 KHz
      ROS Version: 6.9.0
      Transceiver:   Flex 5000A
      Transmitter Power:  .5 to 25 Watts

      Activities Planned:

      (1) Check frequency occupancy by other services. If occupied, move to

      alternate #1 frequency. If alternate #1 is occupied move to the

      alternate #2. Terminate operations if all planned frequencies are

      occupied.

      (2) Test of CW functions - station identification/announcement.

      (3) Test of announcement messages via ROS along with CW identification.

      (4) Transmissions at incremental power levels.  Monitoring stations

      providing reports.  Determine minimum power levels to maintain error

      free copy.

      (5)  As time permits, exchange of messages with other stations

      operating under a Part 5 STA and stations outside US .

      Description of WF9XJD’s Operation
      The station is operating under an STA granted by the FCC Experimental License Service to experiment with spread spectrum on the HF and VHF bands assign to the Amateur Radio Service(ARS).  The control operator of the station is Phil Williams, KA1GMN. The goal of this experiment is to determine if spread spectrum can co-exist with other emission types authorized in the ARS.

      The ROS MODEM is one of the spread spectrum modes that will be transmitted during the operation of the station.  Depending on the operating frequency, the bandwidth of the ROS MODEM can range from .500 to 2.5KHz.  The signal is transmitted much like any other digital mode using a SSB transceiver that is operating upper single sideband (USB). Two model of radios have been authorized:

      Flex-Radio  Flex 5000A
      Yaesu         FT-857D

      Interference from WF9XJD
      One of the stipulations of the the Special Temporary Authorization (STA), is that the station is on the amateur radio frequencies strictly on a secondary basis.  This experimental station cannot interfere with any other service.  If I am notified of interference, I must cease operations immediately.  If you suspect that I am causing interference, please contact me immediately.  The first thing I will do is stop transmitting.  Please help me mitigate the interference issue by providing date, times,  and frequencies of the interference.  You don’t have to gather up these details when you initially suspect that I am causing interference,  that can be gathered up later.

      Contact Information:

      WF9XJD

      Phil Williams

      ka1gmn@...

      cell: 469.682.5393

      How to participate in WF9XJD’s Experimental Operation
      Monitoring stations play an important role in this experiment by providing signal reports to the experimental stations. We are looking for a many monitoring station to participate as possible.  Monitoring stations will decode and send decode data transmission using the ROS MODEM application.  You can download the ROS application here:

      http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

      The ROS MODEM application will decode the ROS transmissions and provide detailed signal reports.  An example of the decoded text is how below:

      RX8: 18:01 @ 0.0 Hz: CQ  CQ  de  WF9XJD  WF9XJD <CRC-OK> -9 dB  WF9XJD  WF9XJD miles @ 043  14.101 Mhz

      RX8  - Baud rate used.
      18:00 - Time of when signal received and start of decoding.
      @ 0.0 Hz - Center frequency error
      <CRC-OK> - Signal decode with no errors.
      -9 dB - Signal to Noise ratio of decoded signal
      @ 43 - Bearing of transmitting station.
      14.101 MHz - Dial frequency

      The are two methods of forwarding the signal reports to WF9XJD.  The first method is to manually send the signal reports to:

      wf9xjd@...

      Signal reports can simply be copied from the receive window of the ROS application and e-mailed to wf9xjd@... .  Please ensure that you send the completely decoded transmission:

      Correct - RX8: 18:01 @ 0.0 Hz: CQ  CQ  de  WF9XJD  WF9XJD <CRC-OK> -9 dB WF9XJD  WF9XJD miles @ 043  14.101 Mhz

      No so correct - CQ  CQ  de  WF9XJD  WF9XJD <CRC-OK>

      You may also decode ROS transmissions with errors <BAD-CRC>.  These reports are equally important:

      RX8: 15:01 @ -23.4 Hz: Cqt | de hIomQCN de IZ2QCN in JN45oq kca <BAD-CRC> -18 dB  5324 miles @ 043  21.110 Mhz

      The second option is to enable automatic forwarding of  signal reports to wf9xjd@.... This feature requires configuration of the ROS application.  Details on how to configure this feature is described later is this message under the title, “ROS Automated Signal Reporting”.

      You contribution of signal report will help determine what power levels are necessary for successful decoding the spread spectrum signal.

      Thank you for taking the time to participate in this experiment.  You contributions are greatly appreciate.  Please feel free to send me questions about the operation of WF9XJD that you may have.

      73 from Texas,

      Phil Williams
      Control Operator, WF9XJD
      ka1gmn@...

      --
      Phil KA1GMN
      Experimental Station - WF9XJD
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hello Phil

        Hope to work you soon :-)

        Greetz

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2012
          Last night's operation was very low key.  My biggest concern that there would be pile-up as this would have been counterproductive to say the least.

          30 Meters
           YV5DSL - Two contacts - One @ ROS8 and one @ ROS4.

          I ran through a series of test transmissions - step down the power in 3dB steps as I want to see what kind of signal reports I would receive.
          Some of the signal reports came in via the ROS applications signal reporting system while other were manually sent by a number of stations for which I was grateful for.

          40 Meters

          EA5HVK - Jose Ros.  ROS4 was the only baud rate that gave either of us readable text.  The signal reports between Jose and myself varied in the -21 to -19 range and a percent of copy varied from approx. 25 to 95%.  I was running 25 watts in to an inverted-V and Jose was running 100 watts in to a dipole.

          More signal reports came in from various operators.  I will have to go through them and start working on a process to the reduce the data.

          80 Meters

          All three of the preset frequencies in the ROS application where busy.  It did not seem wise to attempt a transmission of 2000 Hz signal on any of these frequencies.  If there was an option to use the 500Hz bandwidth version of ROS, I would have made the attempt.  It can be done, but you have to uncouple the CAT control from the application, but then the announcement of transmissions to the DX cluster would have not reflected the true transmitting frequency.  This is not a point of criticism, but an observation.

          Last night was more of a dry run to determine if the methods in which to operate the station where feasible.

          To all the stations that participated - thank you.