WF9XJD - Example Announcement of Operations

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
      This is an example only. I will send this out in advance each time I
      plan to operate on a given band. The announcement will go out to a
      number of groups. I plan on keep that list of groups as small as
      possible.

      The is only an example.

      #------BEGIN------
      Fellow operators,

      Experimental station, WF9XJD, will be operating at the following
      times, frequencies, and modes:

      Date: 1 February 2012

      Time: 0000Z - 0200Z

      Frequencies: 10.132(primary if clear), 10.133 (alternate #1),
      10.134MHz (alternate #2)

      Modes: ROS16, ROS8, ROS4
      Bandwidths: .5 and 2.5 KHz

      Transmitter Model: Flex 5000A
      Transmitter Power: .125 to 20 Watts

      Activities Planned: (this will vary)

      (1) Check frequency occupancy by other services. If occupied, move to
      alternate #1 frequency. If alternate #1 is occupied move to the
      alternate #2. Terminate operations if all planned frequencies are
      occupied.

      (2) Test of CW function - station identification/announcement.

      (3) Test of announcement messages via ROS along with CW identification.

      (4) Transmissions at incremental power levels. Monitoring stations
      providing reports. Determine minimum power levels to maintain error
      free copy.

      (5) As time permits, exchange of messages with other stations
      operating under STA and stations outside US permitted to operate
      spread spectrum.

      Description of WF9XJD’s Operation

      The station is operating under an STA granted by the FCC Experimental
      License Service to experiment with spread spectrum on the HF and VHF
      bands assign to the Amateur Radio Service(ARS). The control operator
      of the station is Phil Williams, KA1GMN. The goal of this experiment
      is to determine if spread spectrum can co-exist with other emission
      types authorized in the ARS.

      The ROS MODEM is one of the spread spectrum modes that will be
      transmitted during the operation of the station. Depending on the
      operating frequency, the bandwidth of the ROS MODEM can be as high as
      2.5 KHz and as small as 500Hz. The signal is transmitted much like
      any other digital mode via a transceiver that is operating upper
      single sideband (USB) and the digital signal is developed via a sound
      card interface that is connected to the transmit audio of the radio.

      Two radios are authorized under the STA grated to WF9XJD:

      Flex 5000A

      Yaesu 857D

      The antenna is a simple dipole up at 30 feet above the ground. The
      maximum effective radiated power authorized is 100 watts.

      Interference from WF9XJD

      One of the stipulations of the the Special Temporary Authorization
      (STA), is that the station is on the amateur radio frequencies
      strictly on a secondary basis. I cannot interfere with any other
      station. If I am notified of interference, I must cease operations
      immediately. If you suspect that I am causing interference, please
      contact me immediately. The first thing I will do is stop
      transmitting. Please help me mitigate the interference issue by
      providing date, times, and frequencies of the interference. You
      don’t have to gather up these details when you initially suspect that
      I am causing interference, these detail sent to me up later at a later
      date. Please make every effort to provide me with these details, so I
      can eliminate future interference issues.

      Contact Information:

      WF9XJD

      Phil Williams

      ka1gmn@...

      cell: 469.682.5393

      How to participate in WF9XJD’s Experimental Operation

      Signal reports are needed. You can download the ROS application for
      monitoring purposes only here:

      http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

      The ROS application will decode the WF9XJD’s transmissions. SNR
      values are displayed at the end of every received ROS transmission.
      Please provide these SNR values and the decoded text as this will tell
      us what transmitter power the station was running at the time you
      heard WF9XJD. Please send this data to:

      ka1gmn@...

      You contribution will help determine what power levels are necessary
      for successful decoding these spread spectrum signals.

      Thank you for taking the time to participate in this experiment. You
      contributions are greatly appreciated. Please feel free to send me
      questions about the operation of WF9XJD that you may have.

      73 from Texas,

      Phil Williams

      Control Operator, WF9XJD

      #------END------

      --
      phil de ka1gmn
    • Phil Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
        First test objective is simple and encourages participation by non-STA
        operators.

        Objective
        Determine the minimum power required to maintain error free communications.

        Methodology
        Transmit messages incremental power levels of 3db steps. Transmission
        will include current power level in message.
        Monitoring stations will capture decoded text with calucalted signal
        report and forward via e-mail. Data will be reduced and analyzed.
        Messages decode must be forward regardless of error to determine
        signal threshold. Transmitting station will capture vocap conditions
        at
        time of operation.

        Criteria
        Error free transmission are those decoded message that do have CRC errors.
        Transmission with errors are thos decoded message with CRC errros.

        --
        phil de ka1gmn
      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
          Just set the emailaddy and used power in the beacon and you will get those
          needed reports by mail from dozens of stations by automatic in the soft

          Minimum needed power? Depends on antenna and conditions ... what i can say
          is that even with just a wire and barefoot (abt 30-50w) you can work the
          world
          Ros software stores the "record" in distance ... I have now 18000km with
          only a wire and my rig :-)

          Dg9bfc
          Sigi

        • Phil Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2012
            Propagation and operating conditions are contributors.  They should not be dismissed and should be part of a documented test.
            Minimum power demonstrates what can be done to exchange error free messageS over a given path.  This test objective will emphasize the point of good amateur by showing the results of when minimum power is used.  I would think it would be counterproductive to get an STA and just run pile-ups which could be a contributor of interference to other stations and at the same time having a mode unfairly polarized because of poor operator practices.

            I thought about the e-mail option and dismissed it in the beginning as history shows that was one of the complaints levied against the application's developer.  Now that you have brought the issue up about reporting via e-mail, I will consider that an alternative for those show would prefer to configure the ROS application to automatic forward reports by e-mail.

            So, two options for signal reporting:

            1. cut and paste and forward via e-mail.
            2. configure the ROS application to forward reports via e-mail automatically.

            Thanks,

            Phil KA1GMN/WF9XJD.

            --
            phil de ka1gmn
          • siegfried jackstien
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2012
              Ok i will explain
              The complaints agains jose were more about the spottig in the cluster
              instead of the email reporting ...
              And the email reporting does only work if user sets it up
              The easiest thing is to make a gmail account for just this ... sending those
              reports ...
              I have set 2 different emailaddy in ros
              One is set as macro to be sent out (under the "@" button) in the beacontext
              (that is my home email were I receive mails via outlook)
              And the other is the gmail account were I sent mails out if my station
              receives an email address via air ....

              Set antenna and power used in the macro(s) and youre done

              (sent those macros together with the emailaddy were you receive mails and
              you will have those reports by mail

              In the received mail is the signal to noise level and your transmitted text
              (received by the other) so if you sent out your details (ant, power etc.)
              you have all needed data in the mails

              Dg9bfc
              Sigi

              Need details how to setup or how to use the soft?? Just ask

            • Phil Williams
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2012
                Thanks for the information Sigi.

                --