Re: [30MDG] Re: FCC Grants Special Temporary Authority for Amateur Spread Spectrum Experiments

  • Phil Williams
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
    Oh sorry Eddy my apologies.  Here we go..

    Attached is the original online application.  This is the one that was approved by the FCC.  Please feel free to share this with anyone else who would consider apply for the STA.

    The STA application is located here:

    Once you fill out the main part of the form, you will get a file and confirmation number sent to the e-mail address that you have supplied.  You will use this to update the form,  reply to questions the FCC may have, and to check on the status of the license.

    Give the FCC 30 days lead time or they will ask to justify why you need the STA in less that 30 days.

    The filing fee is $60.00.

    On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM, signal <signalhz@...> wrote:

    Hi Phil,

    I believe it is so spread out and each tone is so short it's not going to interrupt weak signals either. I was reading the F.A.Q about the power levels last night. I'll copy and paste below.

    Q4: What is the average power used in a typical ROS QSO?
    A: It depend of conditions of each station, distance, propagation, etc…
    From the test performed Cuba-Twente, we have:
    Power with ROS16 = Power PSK31 / 5
    Power with ROS8 = Power PSK31 / 30
    Power with ROS4 = Power PSK31 / 100
    So, if you usually use 50 watts with PSK31 then you could use:
    10 watts with ROS16
    2 watts with ROS8
    0.5 watt with ROS4
    And if you usually use 100 watts with PSK31 then you could use:
    20 watts with ROS16
    4 watts with ROS8
    1 watt with ROS4

    Also don't forget to send me the email with information about applying for a STA. I would like to experiment also.

    73
    Eddy
    N4ABN

    On 1/8/2012 7:25 PM, Phil Williams wrote:

    I have seen the same thing Eddy. ROS is so spread out that narrow band modes have little effect on them. I have seen situations were RTTY signal whose power was 20dB or more higher impact the reception of a ROS transmission.  I don't think you will see where ROS will degrade a narrow band digital mode.  The ROS tones on any frequency are so short in duration that the detectors of a narrow band mode just filters them out.

    I've seen ROS operate on 12 meters right next and almost on JT65A but I have not seen  any complaints.

    30 metes will be the first band I will operate on.  There will be an announcement going out to 30MDG and other groups.  I can use you and others to send me signal reports from ROS - that would be a tremendous help!  One of the test objectives is to operate ROS on a wide range of power levels so we can determine the minimum power levels required for 100% copy.  The more operators we have to send reports, the better.

    On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM, signal <signalhz@...> wrote:

    I ran ROS last night on 20m and 30m SWL. I decoded several messages with the furthest being in Australia over 9,000 miles and the strongest signal of the night. What I noticed on the receive was it decoded the ROS messages while other modes were making qso's such as RTTY and CW.  While I was watching the spectrum/waterfall there were at one time 4 different RTTY qso's taking place and 1 CW qso and none of those seemed to hinder the reception of the ROS signal of the Australia station. The receive band width was 3000 hz wide and several RTTY qso's taking place at the same time.  I couldn't tell if ROS was causing any interference to the other stations. I only could notice the other qso's didn't seem to interfere with reception of the ROS qso's at my location.

    I like that the other qso's didn't seem to interfere with receiving ROS. That was just one night for about 6 hours. About 3 hours on 30m but didn't receive anyone. I don't know if there was anyone sending on 30m although I saw a few stations sign on very briefly.  More experimenting would be fun and interesting.

    73
    Eddy
    N4ABN

    On 1/8/2012 6:07 PM, Don wrote:

    Hi Phil,

    Congrats and that is great! Hope you will share your experimenting with those modes with the group after you have a few contacts, reports, or information to share.

    Not sure if you will be announcing via HamSpots or a DXCluster when you will be operating what mode where but maybe even though we can't participate with you here in the USA we can give reports...but most of our group is outside the USA so they sure could be of help to setup skeds and participate or experiment with you (hope some will do that with you).

    GL

    Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
    www.30mdg.net

    --
    phil de ka1gmn

    --
    phil de ka1gmn
  • signal
    Message 2 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
      That's not free! : )   Bureaucracy over bloated and we got to pay for the over bloat. : )

      Thanks Phil.

      73
      Eddy
      N4ABN

      On 1/8/2012 7:54 PM, Phil Williams wrote:

[...]

      A: It depend of conditions of each station, distance, propagation, etc…
      From the test performed Cuba-Twente, we have:

      --
      phil de ka1gmn

      --
      phil de ka1gmn
    • Phil Williams
      Message 3 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
        If I had got a dollar for every ham that complained about the STA fee..it would have paid for mine. LOL!

        I was under the impression that STA debate was really because no ham in his right mind would part with that much money.

        Spread spectrum is expensive. Let's ban it. LOL!

        On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM, signal <signalhz@...> wrote:

[...]

        A: It depend of conditions of each station, distance, propagation, etc…
        From the test performed Cuba-Twente, we have:

        --
        phil de ka1gmn

        --
        phil de ka1gmn

        --
        phil de ka1gmn
      • Dave Wright
        Message 4 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
          Where's the "Like" button for that!!

          Dave
          K3DCW
          www.k3dcw.net

          "Real radio bounces off of the sky"

          Message 5 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
            So are you saying you're not in the right state of mind?  ; )

            On 1/8/2012 8:17 PM, Phil Williams wrote:

[...]

            A: It depend of conditions of each station, distance, propagation, etc…
            From the test performed Cuba-Twente, we have:

            --
            phil de ka1gmn

            --
            phil de ka1gmn

            --
            phil de ka1gmn

            --
            If you do not feel comfortable with firearms, maybe you will be more comfortable as a victim.
          • Phil Williams
            Message 6 of 23 , Jan 8, 2012
              Don,

              Below is a draft of the announcement about WF9XJD operations that I will send out in advance.

              Fellow operators,

              Experimental station, WF9XJD, will be operating at the following times, frequencies, and modes:

              Time:  0000Z - 0100z
              Frequencies: 10.131, 10.133, 10.135MHz
              Modes:  ROS16, ROS8, ROS4
              Emission: 2K50J2D
              Maximum Transmitter Power: 25 watts

              Description of WF9XJD’s Operation
              The station is operating under an STA granted by the FCC Experimental License Service to experiment with spread spectrum on the HF and VHF bands assign to the Amateur Radio Service(ARS).  The control operator of the station is Phil Williams, KA1GMN. The goal of this experiment is to determine if spread spectrum can co-exist with other emission types authorized in the ARS.

              The ROS MODEM is one of the spread spectrum modes that will be transmitted during the operation of the station.  Depending on the operating frequency, the bandwidth of the ROS MODEM can be as high as 2.5 KHz and as small as 500Hz.  The signal is transmitted much like any other digital mode via a transceiver that is operating upper single sideband (USB) and the digital signal is developed via a sound card interface that is connected  to the transmit audio of the radio.

              Two radios have been authorized to be used:

              Flex 5000A

              Yaesu 857D

              The antenna is a simple dipole up at 30 feet above the ground.  The maximum power authorized is 100 watt effective radiated power (ERP).

              Interference from WF9XJD
              One of the stipulations of the the Special Temporary Authorization (STA), is that the station is on the amateur radio frequencies strictly on a secondary basis.  I cannot interfere with any other station.  If I am notified of interference, I must cease operations immediately.  If you suspect that I am causing interference, please contact me immediately.  The first thing I will do is stop transmitting.  Please help me mitigate the interference issue by providing date, times,  and frequencies of the interference.  You don’t have to gather up these details when you initially suspect that I am causing interference,  that can be gathered up later.

              Contact Information:

              WF9XJD

              Phil Williams

              ka1gmn@...

              cell: 469.682.5393

              How to participate in WF9XJD’s Experimental Operation
              Signal reports are needed.  You can download the ROS application for monitoring purposes only here:

              http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

               The ROS application will decode the WF9XJD’s transmissions.  SNR values are displayed at the end of every received ROS transmission.  Please provide these SNR values and the decoded text as this will tell us what transmitter power the station was running at the time you heard WF9XJD.  Please send this data to:

              ka1gmn@...

              You contribution will help determine what power levels are necessary for success decoding the spread spectrum signal.  Thanks for participating in this effort.

              Thank you for taking the time to participate in this experiment.  You contributions are greatly appreciate.  Please feel free to send me questions about the operation of WF9XJD that you may have.

              73 from Texas,

              Phil Williams
              Control Operator, WF9XJD

              Additional Information

              ROS MODEM Software

              You can download the ROS MODEM software here:

              http://rosmodem.wordpress.com/

              PART 5--EXPERIMENTAL RADIO SERVICE (OTHER THAN BROADCAST)

              http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_10/47cfr5_10.html

              PART 97--AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE

              http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_10/47cfr97_10.html

              Sec. 97.311  SS emission types.

              http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/47cfr97.311.htm

              Sec. 97.305  Authorized emission types

              http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/47cfr97.305.htm

              Sec. 97.307  Emission standards

              http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/47cfr97.307.htm

              Message 7 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                Hi Phil,
                many thanks for all that info and good luck to your operation. Be sure that I shall report any signals received on 30m.
                Question to the gang: in IARU region 1 are we permitted the use of digital modes taking more than 500 Hz bandwidth?
                vy73 Fred DL6XAZ

                --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <dhobson123@...> wrote:

                > Hi Phil,
                >
                > Congrats and that is great! Hope you will share your experimenting with those modes with the group after you have a few contacts, reports, or information to share.
                >
                > Not sure if you will be announcing via HamSpots or a DXCluster when you will be operating what mode where but maybe even though we can't participate with you here in the USA we can give reports...but most of our group is outside the USA so they sure could be of help to setup skeds and participate or experiment with you (hope some will do that with you).
                >
                > GL
                >
                > Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
                > www.30mdg.net
                >

                > --- In 30MDG@yahoogroups.com, Phil Williams <ka1gmn@> wrote:
                > >
                > > http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-grants-special-temporary-authority-for-amateur-spread-spectrum-experiments
                > >
                > > --
                > > phil de ka1gmn

              • Phil Williams
                Message 8 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                  I do believe that the setting for ROS on 30 meters is 500Hz.  I will double check that this evening, but I am pretty sure of it.  It would seem like a good idea to me considering the limit space on 30 meters.

                  --
                  phil de ka1gmn
                • Ian Wade G3NRW
                  Message 9 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                    From: Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>
                    Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 Time: 07:58:02

                    >I do believe that the setting for ROS on 30 meters is 500Hz. I will double
                    >check that this evening, but I am pretty sure of it. It would seem like a
                    >good idea to me considering the limit space on 30 meters.

                    Phil

                    The Region 2 bandwidth limits on 30m are:
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    10.100 - 10.130: max 200Hz
                    10.130 - 10.140: max 500Hz
                    10.140 - 10.150: max 2700Hz
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Ian, G3NRW
                  • Phil Williams
                    Message 10 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                      Thanks Ian,

                      I will check tonight on the ROS software.  I think the recommended frequencies for 30 meters sets the bandwidth to 500Hz for 10.131, 10.133, and 10.135.  I am going strictly on memory, so I may not have those frequencies correct.

                      From: Phil Williams <ka1gmn@...>
                      Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 Time: 07:58:02

                      >I do believe that the setting for ROS on 30 meters is 500Hz. I will double
                      >check that this evening, but I am pretty sure of it. It would seem like a
                      >good idea to me considering the limit space on 30 meters.

                      Phil

                      The Region 2 bandwidth limits on 30m are:
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      10.100 - 10.130: max 200Hz
                      10.130 - 10.140: max 500Hz
                      10.140 - 10.150: max 2700Hz
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      Ian, G3NRW

                      --
                      phil de ka1gmn
                    • siegfried jackstien
                      Message 11 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                        As far as I know no wider mode on 30m
                        That’s why mr ros made a narrow 500 hz mode (that is automatic selected on
                        30m)...
                        Dg9bfc
                        Sigi

                      • Phil Williams
                        Message 12 of 23 , Jan 9, 2012
                          No problem Sigi.  For frequencies that Ros defined for 30 meters, do you see any issue in terms of interference from your side?  Any beacons or other activities that would really be impacted with the presence of ROS.  Your help with this is greatly appreciated Sigi.

                          --
                          phil de ka1gmn
                        • siegfried jackstien
                          Message 13 of 23 , Jan 10, 2012
                            There is a 30m band utilization chart ... not a real band-plan but what is
                            used where ...

                            See here:

                            dg9bfc
                            sigi

                          • siegfried jackstien
                            Message 14 of 23 , Jan 10, 2012
                              Ian you have mail

                              Dg9bfc
                              Sigi

                            • Ian Wade G3NRW
                              Message 15 of 23 , Jan 10, 2012
                                From: siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...>
                                Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 Time: 13:21:36

                                >There is a 30m band utilization chart ... not a real band-plan but what is
                                >used where ...
                                >
                                >See here:
                                >http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/30m_band_utilization.htm
                                >
                                >dg9bfc
                                >sigi

                                I updated the chart yesterday, removing the old ROS allocation from
                                10.143 to 10.145.

                                Ian, G3NRW

                                The 30m Band Utilization Chart: