psk31 on 30m what is the correct frequency now, USA

  • k2hat@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2012
      I was on 30m today @ aprox 10.140-10.141

      Wow, there seems to be a LOT of other stuff going on,
      all kinds of noise; that I can't tell what the heck it is.

      I thought 30m 10.140 area was for psk31,
      I guess my information is outdated.

      So many new modes nowadays, hard for me to keep up,
      on what they all sound like. LOL.

      73 K2HAT

      http://k0swi.microlnk.com/LISTS/PSK31/PSK31%20FREQUENCIES.htm
      30 meters 10.140 MHz

      http://www.podxs070.com/common-psk31-operating-frequencies

      30M 10138-10142
    • Ian Wade G3NRW
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2012
        From: "k2hat@..." <k2hat@...>
        Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 Time: 04:09:19

        >I was on 30m today @ aprox 10.140-10.141
        >
        >Wow, there seems to be a LOT of other stuff going on,
        >all kinds of noise; that I can't tell what the heck it is.
        >
        >I thought 30m 10.140 area was for psk31,
        >I guess my information is outdated.
        >
        >So many new modes nowadays, hard for me to keep up,
        >on what they all sound like. LOL.
        >
        >73 K2HAT

        Lee

        You may find the 30m Band Utilization Chart useful:

        Ian, G3NRW
      • Joe Brown

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2012
            Hi Lee K2HAT,

            The BPSK31 frequency for 30 Meters is 10.140 (10.140 to 10.142). This was chosen back in 2007 and continues to be the main PSK area for 30m in all Regions (actually the 10.140 mark was chosen to include all Regions). I think for RegionI (EU) there is more PSK activity than RegionII (USA) so when the band is busy from what I see the EU stations need more room and may spread from 10.140 to 10.143/4 at times.

            I noticed that the 30m PSK portion of the band is not as busy as of late in RegionII (USA) so I sure see many modes used if the PSK portion 10.140 to 10.142 is not busy..mostly MFSK16, Contestia, Olivia if not busy but if busy most move up 10.142 to 10.144 for those wider better weak signal modes. Most that use other less used modes other than PSK/RTTY when using MFSK16, Contestia, Olivia, etc have RSID RX/TX on so others know what mode they are operating.

            Also note that the JT65A (JT65-HF) ops are in need of more room at times so some of their tones can be hear to 10.1405 or so...right in the mix with WSPR Beacons and PropNet PSK stations. Most times though my observation for JT65A on 30m is that its underused and far fewer stations on 30m than on the other bands for JT65A mode.

            Not sure this helps but for sure the mark was made a few years back for PSK on 30m at 10.140 but if you are CQing with no luck in PSK then try a new mode because many digital ops on the 30m band are interested in experimenting with other modes and for sure having a ragchew not just a marco short contact.

            Have fun Lee..GL on the 30m Band.

            Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
            www.30mdg.net