Re: [digitalradio] STA Granted - KA1GMN/WF9XJD to conduct spread spectrum experiments on the HF and VHF bands.

  • Dave Wright
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2012
      As I am sure Phil is well aware of, he is authorized to transmit these modes, but other US hams are not authorized to work him.  Of course, he can work foreign hams where the restrictions are not present. US hams can participate by monitoring and reporting signal strengths and the such, but if he/they get caught working each other, then that will likely be the end of SS on HF in any form in the US.

      Through all of the arguments pro/con for ROS (and CHIP) and SS, the one point I and others have made is that if US hams want to use SS on HF, they are going to have to change the rules.  The first step in doing so is this kind of experimentation.  Once Phil is done, then he can propose a rules modification and perhaps get the rules changed.  Complaining about the rules on a mailing list doesn't change anything; doing what Phil is doing has the potential to change the rules and thus let me say kudos to him.

      73

      Dave

      --
      Dave Wright
      K3DCW

      "Real radio bounces off the sky"

      On Saturday, January 7, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Phil Williams wrote:

      Hey Sigi,

      It is a temporary authorization to operate spread spectrum.  The two modes are ROS and CHIP64.

      The station will be active 1 February 2012.  I would be happy to work you on many bands as possible.

      On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM, siegfried jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

      Is that a temporary license to try out "ros" on shortwave?!?
      If yes .. then I will be glad to work you on any of the bands ...
      Wanna make a sked?!?
      Dg9bfc
      Sigi