10070Re: [30MDG] Re: FCC Grants Special Temporary Authority for Amateur Spread Spectrum Experiments

  • Phil Williams
    Jan 8, 2012
    Oh sorry Eddy my apologies.  Here we go..

    Attached is the original online application.  This is the one that was approved by the FCC.  Please feel free to share this with anyone else who would consider apply for the STA.

    The STA application is located here:

    Once you fill out the main part of the form, you will get a file and confirmation number sent to the e-mail address that you have supplied.  You will use this to update the form,  reply to questions the FCC may have, and to check on the status of the license.

    Give the FCC 30 days lead time or they will ask to justify why you need the STA in less that 30 days.

    The filing fee is $60.00.

    On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM, signal <signalhz@...> wrote:

    Hi Phil,

    I believe it is so spread out and each tone is so short it's not going to interrupt weak signals either. I was reading the F.A.Q about the power levels last night. I'll copy and paste below.

    Q4: What is the average power used in a typical ROS QSO?
    A: It depend of conditions of each station, distance, propagation, etc…
    From the test performed Cuba-Twente, we have:
    Power with ROS16 = Power PSK31 / 5
    Power with ROS8 = Power PSK31 / 30
    Power with ROS4 = Power PSK31 / 100
    So, if you usually use 50 watts with PSK31 then you could use:
    10 watts with ROS16
    2 watts with ROS8
    0.5 watt with ROS4
    And if you usually use 100 watts with PSK31 then you could use:
    20 watts with ROS16
    4 watts with ROS8
    1 watt with ROS4

    Also don't forget to send me the email with information about applying for a STA. I would like to experiment also.

    73
    Eddy
    N4ABN

    On 1/8/2012 7:25 PM, Phil Williams wrote:

    I have seen the same thing Eddy. ROS is so spread out that narrow band modes have little effect on them. I have seen situations were RTTY signal whose power was 20dB or more higher impact the reception of a ROS transmission.  I don't think you will see where ROS will degrade a narrow band digital mode.  The ROS tones on any frequency are so short in duration that the detectors of a narrow band mode just filters them out.

    I've seen ROS operate on 12 meters right next and almost on JT65A but I have not seen  any complaints.

    30 metes will be the first band I will operate on.  There will be an announcement going out to 30MDG and other groups.  I can use you and others to send me signal reports from ROS - that would be a tremendous help!  One of the test objectives is to operate ROS on a wide range of power levels so we can determine the minimum power levels required for 100% copy.  The more operators we have to send reports, the better.

    On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:49 PM, signal <signalhz@...> wrote:

    I ran ROS last night on 20m and 30m SWL. I decoded several messages with the furthest being in Australia over 9,000 miles and the strongest signal of the night. What I noticed on the receive was it decoded the ROS messages while other modes were making qso's such as RTTY and CW.  While I was watching the spectrum/waterfall there were at one time 4 different RTTY qso's taking place and 1 CW qso and none of those seemed to hinder the reception of the ROS signal of the Australia station. The receive band width was 3000 hz wide and several RTTY qso's taking place at the same time.  I couldn't tell if ROS was causing any interference to the other stations. I only could notice the other qso's didn't seem to interfere with reception of the ROS qso's at my location.

    I like that the other qso's didn't seem to interfere with receiving ROS. That was just one night for about 6 hours. About 3 hours on 30m but didn't receive anyone. I don't know if there was anyone sending on 30m although I saw a few stations sign on very briefly.  More experimenting would be fun and interesting.

    73
    Eddy
    N4ABN

    On 1/8/2012 6:07 PM, Don wrote:

    Hi Phil,

    Congrats and that is great! Hope you will share your experimenting with those modes with the group after you have a few contacts, reports, or information to share.

    Not sure if you will be announcing via HamSpots or a DXCluster when you will be operating what mode where but maybe even though we can't participate with you here in the USA we can give reports...but most of our group is outside the USA so they sure could be of help to setup skeds and participate or experiment with you (hope some will do that with you).

    GL

    Don KB9UMT 30MDG#0001
    www.30mdg.net

    --