December 2007 "Chewin' the News" from Carol

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2007
      July 2005 Chewin' the News

      December 2007 - Last Minute Gifts and More!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      BONUS RECIPES

      Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We spent time catching up and visiting with my family on Thanksgiving Day. On Friday we had a surprise visit from some out of town relatives. What a fun time! It is great to spend time with one another and visit with our siblings and nieces and nephews.

      I do not know where you are with your Christmas baking but we are just finishing. We did some early baking. We sent some of the cookies in the mail as care packages to relatives who live far away. My side of the family has a cookie table where every family brings two or three dozen of their favorite cookies to share with everyone. It is fun to see all the different types of cookies that each family brings.  So far we have made Snickerdoodles, Chocolate Pizza, Buckeyes, Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, Spritz, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, and Microwave Chocolate Fudge to share. We also like to make cookie baskets for our neighbors. It is nice to share a little joy with others.

      One of our family traditions is to make and decorate sugar cookies. My high school sons even enjoy this project! In the last couple of years they have invited their friends over to help in the decorating process. One of our favorite Sugar Cookie recipes is from the 30 Day gourmet web site. It is very easy to make since you do not have to chill the dough.

      I always stock up on sprinkles, colored sugars, and decorative dots to use as decorations. These are also good for decorating Chocolate Covered Pretzel Sticks. You dip the ends of the pretzel sticks in dipping chocolate and then coat them with sprinkles before for the chocolate dries. After the chocolate dries, wrap them in clear or colored plastic wrap and tie a ribbon around it to close it. It makes a great last minute gift for that chocolate lover on your list.

      If you need some recipe ideas for the holidays, a great source for recipes is the 30 Day Gourmet web site! Click here to access our recipe database. Choose the kind of recipe you're looking for (Side and Salad, Bread and Breakfast, etc.) and scroll through the list to see what sounds good to you. There are hundreds of recipes to choose from. There are lots of recipes on the web site that would make great last minute gifts. Some of my favorites are White Chocolate Snowmen (from the January 2007 newsletter), Hot Cocoa Mix, Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix, Peppermint Patties, Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Brownie Bites, Oreo Truffles, Pretzel Turtles, and Holiday Jar Cookies.

      BONUS RECIPE

      Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

      These cookies are very rich and will satisfy that chocolate craving. They taste just like chocolate brownies but in cookie form. We make them with two kinds of chocolate chips. We use white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips. If you want an even richer chocolate taste use all semi-sweet chocolate chips.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I received a great email from Dawn about the Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe on the web site. She pointed out a typo on the recipe page and her sons' reaction to the typo:

      Thank you, Carol, for what I'm sure was an unintentional giggle.  My boys and I were looking at your Pumpkin Cake Roll recipe and noticed a typo that made both boys giggle.  If you note, in the assembly instructions, it says "For each recipe, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, gloves and salt in a small bowl.."  My seven year old shouted "Gloves!?!  I wonder if someone would really add GLOVES to the recipe instead of clover!"  LOL!

      We all make typos, but yours was adorable.

      Thanks so much for the holiday giggle.

      Dawn
      Faithful reader

      I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas! Best wishes to you and your family this holiday season.

      Do you have any other topics that you would like to cover? Do you have any nagging questions that need to be answered? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      If you still have problems, please let me know at  carol@...