February 2006 "Chewin' the News" - Week 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006
      Message

      February 2006 - Finger Food Recipes, Freezer Contest Winners, and More!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      BONUS RECIPES

      Brownie Bites

      Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

      CONTESTS

      Recipe of the Month Contest

      Freezer Cook of the Month

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Hello cooks!

      First I want to say a big thank you to all of you who sent me winter exercise ideas! You sent so many interesting options. I want share some of these ideas with you in case someone else out there is looking for some suggestions. Here are some of the ideas that I received:

      An idea for winter months that may sound just plain wrong: do you have an indoor pool at your park and recreation center or YMCA? Water fitness is awesome - a good program is well rounded and hits all four elements of good physical fitness: strength training (just from resistance to the water alone as well as water weights, noodles, etc.), flexibility (stretching in the water - you'd be surprised at how much more you can do with the buoyancy help), core strength (similar to pilates mat when you exercise with toes up), and cardio (water aerobics, especially deep water, is a tough workout). A lot of city/county programs offer discounts in the winter months because people don't think of pools during colder weather.

      Also, many hospital-affiliated rehab centers offer water aerobics and some gyms offer pool-only memberships. Also, check local churches. Ours offers (all for free): men's open basketball, floor aerobics, pilates, powerflex, volleyball and more. Volunteering in an Upward Bound program (I think mostly Baptist churches) would offer you benefits as well.  Tracy

      Have you considered a treadmill? I don't just mean for you but also for your dog. I've seen it before and it works (after a bit of coaxing).   Luanne

      I decided to try a combination of walking and a stability ball. We have had a very mild winter so far with temperatures averaging 12 degrees above normal. That makes walking bearable. As for the stability ball, I have had one for about a year  but it did not come with a video. I found an inexpensive video at Walmart and I am giving it a try. (What would we do without Walmart!) It has three levels of exercise - beginner, intermediate and advanced. The American Heart Association recommends that you engage in some physical activity for 30 to 60 minutes three or four days a week. This will be my beginning goal. Eventually, I would like to be exercising five days a week. The American Heart Association sponsors a web site called Just Move. This site has lots of information on the correlation between exercise and heart disease. They also provide a place for you to keep an exercise diary. You can set goals for yourself and track your progress. Again, thanks for all of the suggestions!

      February usually makes you think of Valentine's Day. But it is also time for Super Bowl Sunday! I know lots of people who are planning a party with friends and family. Even if you are only watching the game for the great commercials, I thought it would be great to talk about recipes that are fun and easy to prepare for a crowd! There are so many 30 Day Gourmet recipes that work well for gatherings. My favorites are the finger foods that are easy to serve, disappear as the night goes on and clean up easily. Here are some of my favorites:

      Chili and Sandwiches

      Desserts:

      Dips:

      Finger Foods:

      Snack Mixes:

      Good luck to all of you out there who are are planning a party! I hope it is a fun time for everyone. This issue of Chewin’ the News brings you two finger food recipes. Read more about them in the Bonus Recipes Section.

      BONUS RECIPES

      Brownie Bites

      These are so fun to take to a party or gathering! These are so easy to make if you have a mini muffin pan. You can serve them plain or frosted. One of our favorite frostings is peanut butter. Peanut butter and chocolate are so wonderful together. You could also make white frosting and color it red for Valentine's Day or your favorite team color.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms

      My father-in-law makes the best stuffed mushrooms. We usually have them at family gatherings. I lowered the fat and calories in this recipe by using turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. They still taste great! Make sure you break the sausage into small pieces after cooking. This makes it easier to stuff the mushrooms. A food processor or chopper can be used.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CONTEST WINNERS

      February Recipe of the Month... Cheddar and Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes

      Our winner this month is Nancy with her recipe for Cheddar and Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes. I have been looking for more potato recipes and this one is great! To get a more fancy looking potato, you can pipe the filling though a star tip on pastry decorating bag. It makes them look ruffled. This is a great recipe to have on hand for lunch. They are very filling.

      I was unable to reach Nancy, so we'll have to meet the creator of this recipe next month. Nancy, if you read this, please contact me at carol@... to claim your prize!

      Click here to view/print the February Recipe of the Month.

      Congratulations Nancy! Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe. You too can get in on the winning! Just post your favorite freeze-able recipe on the message boards

      Freezer Cook of the Month Winner

      Our winner this month is Amyjoy from Boise, ID. Read how a 30 Day Gourmet freezer meal baby shower has changed her life.

      Amyjoy says:

      "I have been raving about my new cooking "lifestyle" to everyone I can. My life has totally changed and it has been a very easy change to make. It started last January, one year ago when my sweet friends through me a "freezer meal" shower right before I had my third child. It was going to be a scheduled C-section and my second boy so I didn't need lots of clothes or toys, I needed help! So, we enjoyed freezer meals for an entire month which was plenty of time to get me back on my feet. Then my friend was also going to have a baby a few months later, she wanted the same yummy food stash as me. So we formed our "freezer meal group". We totally love the different yummy meals, ease of our days, and the fun it allows. Thank you for the book, the website, the great format and easy recipes that have always turned out! This is Awesome!!!"

      We think so too! We are glad that you are enjoying the freedom that comes with your new cooking lifestyle. Enjoy!

      So, how do you make 30 Day Gourmet work for you?  How do you use it to help you deal with a challenge in your life?  How do you use it to help others?  Do you have a funny cooking story to share? Email me at  carol@... to be entered in our contest.

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I hope you enjoy the finger food recipes! Enjoy the game and we will talk again next month!

      Calling all cooks...I'm looking for your favorite recipes so post them on our message board, the Cook's Corner. Any recipe posting will be considered for the Recipe of the Month contest and a chance to win $25 cash or merchandise from the 30 Day Gourmet store. Just post it under the appropriate category on the message boards. Be sure to include freezing directions! I look forward to hearing what you have to share.

      Email me at carol@... with any questions, ideas, suggestions or problems. I enjoy hearing from you!

      Best wishes to you and your family this New Year!

      1. If you get your emails from Yahoo Groups in digest form, all the links are removed by Yahoo and the email is sent in "text" version.  You need to cancel the digest emails and choose individual emails to get them sent correctly.

      2. You need to choose to receive your emails from Yahoo in HTML format.  If you don't choose HTML, all the links are removed when it is sent to you.

      If you still have problems, please let me know at  carol@...