Nov week 4 News

  • 30 Day Gourmet/Tammy
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005

      November 2005... Holiday recipes and Message Board News

      by Tammy Davis

      To read this newsletter on our website, click here.

      NOTES FROM TAMMY

      MESSAGE BOARD UPDATES

      FINAL THOUGHTS

      NOTES from Tammy

      Happy Thanksgiving!  Hope you all had an enjoyable holiday with your friends and family, and took time to reflect on what you have to be thankful for.

      I noticed a local store putting out Christmas candy and decorations a couple of days before Halloween. I sure hope it isn't the start of a trend to "skip" Thanksgiving, because it's important... taking time to be thankful for our blessings, no matter how big or small, is always a good thing!

      We were to have six family members come from OH to visit for Thanksgiving weekend, but they had to cancel... five of them were sick, and we were to get bad weather between here and there.  We called someone we were concerned might be spending the day alone, but he had plans.  We invited my parents down from PA, but the snow and ice between here and there kept them home too.  So we ended up having a quiet day as a family, which was very nice

      Our holiday menu was full of family favorites.  Besides the turkey and stuffing, we had Cheesy Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potato Soufflé with Brown Sugar Crumbles, and Broccoli Cheese Casserole.  Grandma made homemade rolls.  For those pre-dinner munchies, I made a Party Cheeseball and Veggie dip.  And for dessert, Mom's Pumpkin Pie filling, and Grammy's Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  And of course, the best ever Freezer Pie Crust recipe for the pies.

      We enjoyed the leftovers, especially turkey sandwiches.  I also make Cheesy Chicken ala King, which is my husband's favorite.  I need to experiment with that recipe and see if it's freeze-able, or if the sauce separates and gets watery.  To use up the last bit of turkey, I'm making some Country Chicken Pot Pie filling for in the freezer.  Yummy!

      BONUS  RECIPES

      My husband found a great site called Paperbackswap.com.  You register the paperback books you've read and don't want anymore.  Other members can then select your books they want to read.  When they choose one of your books, you print out a mailing wrapper, wrap the book, put 4 stamps on it and drop it in the mail box.  When they receive your book in the mail, you receive a credit.  You also earn credits for listing your books.  Then you use your credits to "buy" books from other members.  They have hundreds of thousands of titles listed, so there's lots to choose from!  It's a great site and we've been very happy with it.  And, it's free!!

      I like to make cookie mix in a jar and give as gifts at the holidays.  (Check out the Nov02 News for my favorite recipe.)  I've thought about buying a new recipe book for those type of mixes, but was hesitant without being able to see the recipes to know if I'd like them.  But when I saw a Merry Mixes book by Gooseberry Patch at Paperbackswap.com, I figured I couldn't go wrong... it was worth a credit to check out the book, and if I didn't like it, I could re-post it for someone else to get it from me.

      When I received the book in the mail, I had the option to email the sender.  I emailed her thanking her for sending the book so quickly, and asked if she had tried any of the recipes from the book, and which ones did or didn't she like.  Carmen emailed me back, with her recommendation of a recipe or two.  My new friend said she lives in Puerto Rico, and can't get all of the ingredients called for in the book, which is why she didn't try more recipes.  She said she was trying to save money for her family by making gifts for the holidays, which is why she requested the book from the swap in the first place.

      Of course I had to email her back and tell her to check out 30 Day Gourmet's website!  I suggested she check out the Nov02 News for ideas, as well as the Recipes tab at the top of the page.  I also told her if she can get the ingredients, I'd highly recommend the  Oreo Truffles recipe!  Carmen was so excited when she emailed me back!  She said she is always so surprised how God uses little things to bless her, when she isn't expecting it.  She said me emailing her about 30 Day Gourmet was a definite blessing from God, and she was so thankful.  Not only did she get the gift ideas she needed, but she learned about freezer cooking.  She has a chest freezer, her husband is a vegetarian and she isn't.  So she was really excited about trying freezer cooking.  She said she definitely is making the Oreo Truffles for gifts.  Then she said "I can't wait to continue exploring the site!  It has so much recipes and information, it is like candy for my eyes!!"

      If you need "candy" for your friends and family, figuratively and literally, check out our website!  For the figurative candy, go to our online store to buy the manual, software or ebooks.  For candy to tempt your taste buds, in addition to the links above, check out the Nov03 News, especially the Peanut Butter Crunch recipe.  Pretzel Turtles are so easy, and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are a big hit.  Don't forget to check out the Recipes button at the top of the website... click on Snacks and Desserts for a full list of candy, cookies and snacks sure to please!

      MESSAGE BOARD UPDATES

      The message boards continue to be a great resource!

      Do you have a Food Saver?  One of our cooks is looking for opinions to see if you think your food saver is worth the money.  And another cook is having problems with her bags not sealing right.

      Do you have a Rival Smart Pot crock pot?  One of our cooks would like some help from you.

      Do you have our Advantage Cooking Software and need reminded how to add your own ingredients?

      We had quite a lengthy discussion about cooking eggs in circles for use in breakfast sandwiches.  What's your solution?

      Three years ago, MizMolly started a thread on the boards with her "Where's everyone from?" post.  It's still going strong!!  Please join us there if you haven't already!

      Check out the rest of the message boards when you get a chance… they are a great source of ideas, recipes, tips, and encouragement! If you have any questions about the message boards, please email me! You can reach me at tammy@....

      FINAL THOUGHTS

      Well, that's it from me this month.  Time to start gearing up for December!  I started my Christmas shopping on Black Friday.  I need to plan my own candy and cookie gifts for my list of teachers, bus drivers and the mail man.  Next time I touch base, it will be after Christmas, so best wishes from my house to yours for a wonderful holiday!  Don't get so wrapped up in all the "stuff" that you forget the real Reason for the season!  Merry Christmas!

        Feel free to email me at tammy@... with any questions, ideas, suggestions or problems. I enjoy hearing from you all!

      Tammy

      1. If you get your emails from Yahoo Groups in digest form, all the links are removed by Yahoo and the email is sent in "text" version.  You need to cancel the digest emails to get them sent correctly.

      2. You need to choose to receive your emails from Yahoo in HTML format.  If you don't choose HTML, all the links are removed when it is sent to you.

      To change both of these settings, cut and paste  http://groups.yahoo.com/  in your web browser window.  It will take you to the Yahoo Groups page. Once you login, you can choose "Edit Membership" from there.  Both of these settings can be changed there, and then you should be all set to get valid links in our Newsletter.

      Toll Free: (800)9-MANUAL