Tammy's October News

  • 30 Day Gourmet/Tammy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2005

      October 2005... Fall recipes, family update and Message Board News

      by Tammy Davis

      To read this newsletter on our website, click here.

      NOTES FROM TAMMY

      MESSAGE BOARD UPDATES

      FINAL THOUGHTS

      NOTES from Tammy

      Happy fall, everybody!  Hope you're enjoying the colorful beauty of this time of year.  It's been dry here, so we don't have a lot of bright colors, but occasionally I'll drive around a corner and there's a blazing yellow maple that's just striking!  I'll add my recommendation to Nanci's... get out and kick through some fallen leaves!  That's definitely my favorite part of fall!

      The busy-ness at my house hasn't stopped!  Since I last visited with you, we've done an extended family vacation at the beach, school has started, music lessons started, our church ministry continues and the holidays are fast approaching!

      BONUS  RECIPES

      We planned a family vacation to the Outer Banks of NC in August.  It's our favorite beach vacation and we try to go every year.  My mother-in-law lives with us, so the 6 of us were going.  Then I thought she might enjoy the chance to go with her other kids too, so I invited my sister- and brothers-in-law and their families to go along.  Rob's sister and 1 brother said "Yes!!!!"  So we had 12 going.  Then his sister had to cancel.  I called my family to see if anyone could go along.  They couldn't, so I called Nana and Papa to see if they could go.  As I mentioned before, my kids were adopted, and we have an open adoption.  Nana and Papa are their maternal birth grandparents.  It's been 5 years since we've seen them, so Nana was more than ready for some grandkid love!  Papa couldn't get away with just a weeks notice, but Nana had her plane ticket booked before she called me back to tell me she was coming!  She was just a little excited!!  She got to spend 10 days with us, and it was just wonderful!  She enjoyed being a part of our lives for those few days.  Nana said spending time with us was the draw to come, not going to the beach.  But on about the third day there, she said  "Ya know, I think I could live here."   That's what we think every time we go!

      We ended up with 11 at the beach that week... 6 adults and 5 kids.  We rented a house near the beach, and it was awesome, once again!  With a full kitchen to use, we planned that I would cook two nights, my sis-in-law would cook two nights, we would have leftovers one night, and eat out two nights.  We were taking a medium-sized cooler, so I prepared my meals ahead of time and took them along for the freezer.  I didn't want to cut my beach time short to make dinner!!!  (Did I mention I love the beach?)  I made Taco Chili and Pizzaburgers to take along for dinner.  I also made Tammy's Favorite Chocolate Chip cookies, No Bake cookies, Granola bars and Chocolate Chip muffins.  I put each granola bar in a fold-top sandwich bag, and we could just grab how many we needed for a beach snack.  30 Day Gourmet saved me time and money, once again!

      School started a week after vacation, and so far, so good.  My daughter is in 7th grade, and my boys are in 5th and 2nd.  The youngest has a GREAT teacher this year, and is doing much better in school.  We've had lots of meetings to make sure we're all on the same page to help him learn to his potential.  We've changed doctors and counselors, and that seems to be for the better for him too.  He still has problem days, which is to be expected with his illness.  But this school year is going much better than I had thought possible, which is very encouraging!

      I'm still cooking every Monday night for about 30 people.  Taco Chili, Ham and Bean Soup, Pizzaburgers, Italian Chicken, Loaded Baked Potato Soup, and BBQ Beef Loaves continue to be favorites.  A few weeks ago a woman going through the food line made a comment that she was planning to enjoy my cooking for the next few weeks.  I said I hoped she did.  She said she was sure she would, as I had the reputation for being the best cook in the church, from what she heard.  I was quite surprised by that!  30 Day Gourmet comes through for me again!

      MESSAGE BOARD UPDATES

      The message boards continue to be a great resource!

      If you've been wanting to give freezer cooking a try, and just haven't gotten the courage yet, check out our Assembly Day stories thread.  Lots a encouragement from cooks just like you who decided to jump in and give it a try!

      Your local grocery store has chicken on sale for a great price.  Now that you took advantage of it, how on earth do you cook all of it efficiently?  Check out this post to find out how our experienced cooks cook it all up.

      Have you tried the recipe for Super Easy Freezer Crescent Rolls?  And wondered how it would work with wheat flour?  Find out here!

      Do you have a roaster that doesn't get used enough?  Check out these ideas, and add your own too!

      Three years ago, MizMolly started a thread on the boards with her "Where's everyone from?" post.  It's still going strong!!  Please join us there if you haven't already!

      Check out the rest of the message boards when you get a chanceĀ… they are a great source of ideas, recipes, tips, and encouragement! If you have any questions about the message boards, please email me! You can reach me at tammy@....

      FINAL THOUGHTS

      Well, I guess that about sums it up for me!  I hope to be more regular with my News, too.  Thanks for your patience!  And your encouraging emails... I appreciate it!  Feel free to email me at tammy@... with any questions, ideas, suggestions or problems. I enjoy hearing from you all!

      Tammy

      1. If you get your emails from Yahoo Groups in digest form, all the links are removed by Yahoo and the email is sent in "text" version.  You need to cancel the digest emails to get them sent correctly.

      2. You need to choose to receive your emails from Yahoo in HTML format.  If you don't choose HTML, all the links are removed when it is sent to you.

      To change both of these settings, cut and paste  http://groups.yahoo.com/  in your web browser window.  It will take you to the Yahoo Groups page. Once you login, you can choose "Edit Membership" from there.  Both of these settings can be changed there, and then you should be all set to get valid links in our Newsletter.

      Toll Free: (800)9-MANUAL