August 2011 Chewin' the News from Carol

  • Carol Santee
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30 7:19 PM

      August 2011 - 30 Day Gourmet for Lunch!

      A WEEK IN THE KITCHEN WITH CAROL

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      A Week in the Kitchen with Carol

      Hello everyone! It's hard to believe that it is almost September! The summer has flown by so fast. My focus this month has been to fill the freezer with food for lunches. Packing lunches is a real money saver for my family so I know that it is definitely worth the effort. With a little planning I can pack a delicious and nutritious lunch with minimal effort. Every week I purchase baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, bananas, apples, mandarin oranges, and other seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables to serve as side dishes for lunch.
      I keep a "snack box" that has individual servings of snack items that I just grab and place in the lunch box. I also keep some snacks in the freezer such as Zucchini Carrot Muffins, Breakfast Cookies (from the Big Book of Freezer Cooking), and Chewy Granola Bars. A new recipe we have tried this fall is Cranberry Popcorn Bars. It's a combination of a granola bar and a popcorn ball. We love the mix of texture and flavors.

      The bulk of the recipes I made during my last cooking day were main dishes for lunch. I specifically set aside one shelf in our refrigerator freezer for lunches. Here are some of the recipes that I made this month.

      I love soup for lunch. One of my favorite recipes from the 30 Day Gourmet web site is Italian Meatball Soup. I usually make my own meatballs for this recipe. Sprinkle a little freshly shredded Parmesan cheese on top. Yum!

      Another family favorite is Loaded Baked Potato Soup. I make the lighter version with two percent reduced fat cheddar cheese, reduced fat sour cream, and turkey bacon. It's great! I also like to make Bowtie Soup (mini bowties are fun!), Wedding Soup, and Beef Stew.

      I have been testing recipes for Shredded Chicken Sandwiches this summer. This is such a convenient recipe to pack for lunch. If your family has access to a microwave at lunch time, try freezing this recipe in single serving containers. This also works well for other sandwiches such as Shredded Roast Beef, Country Pulled Pork, or Sloppy Joe Sandwich Filling.

      So what are your favorite lunch time recipes that you freeze?

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      Enjoy the recipes! Are you getting ready to make your favorite Autumn recipes? I am ready for the apple season to begin. I can't wait until the Honey Crisp apples are back in the stores.

      I also enjoy baking and making fresh bread. It was great turning on the oven for the first time in months! I made Zucchini Carrot Cake and Zucchini Carrot Muffins. I also tried out a recipe for Ciabatta Bread. It's fun to make your own!

      Do you have any recipes that you would like to share? I'd love to try and share them with everyone. You can post your recipes on the Cook's Corner Message Board, on the 30 Day Gourmet Facebook® fan page, or email me at carol@.... Or do you have any other topics that you would like me to cover? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      Have fun in your kitchen!

      1. If you get your emails from Yahoo Groups in daily digest form, all the links are removed by Yahoo and the email is sent in "text" version. You need to cancel the digest emails and choose individual emails to get them sent correctly.

      2. You need to choose to receive your emails from Yahoo in Fully Featured format. If you don't choose Fully Featured, all the links are removed when it is sent to you.

      To change both of these settings, cut and paste http://groups.yahoo.com/ in your web browser window. It will take you to the Yahoo Groups page. Login using your Yahoo user ID and select the 30DayGourmetFreezerCooking group. Choose to "Edit Membership" from there. Both of these settings can be changed there, and then you should be all set to get valid links in our Newsletter.

      If you still have problems, please let Carol know at carol@....

      Copyright 2011 - 30 Day Gourmet. All rights reserved.