June 2010 "Chewin' the News" from Carol

  • Carol Santee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2010
      July 2005 Chewin' the News

      June 2010 - Anatomy of a Marinade, Summer Menu, and More!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      ANATOMY OF A MARINADE

      COOKING FOR SUMMER

      FREEZER COOK OF THE MONTH WINNER

      BONUS RECIPES

      Garlic Lime Chicken

      Grilled Garlic Parmesan Asparagus

      Grilled Red Potatoes

      Simply Sweet Salmon Glaze

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Hello everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the new Advantage Cooking Software. If you have never tried the software, you can download a trial version that will work for 30 days. Click here to read more about it.

      Advantage Cooking Version 1.x Users
      Last month we announced that current Advantage Cooking Software users can upgrade to the new version of the software for free. The upgrade is now available on the 30 Day Gourmet web site. Advantage Cooking 2.0 can be installed without uninstalling Advantage Cooking 1.x. Advantage Cooking 2.0 has several options for an initial recipe set (cookbook). It can start with one of several starter sets, start with a copy of an Advantage Cooking 1.x cookbook, or work directly with the same cookbook as Advantage Cooking 1.x (if using Advantage Cooking 1.5 or higher). Just download, install and run. The first time Advantage Cooking runs, you choose whether to create a new cookbook or use an existing cookbook. Click here to download the upgrade.

      Recipe Files for the Big Book of Freezer Cooking

      Last month we also announced that current Advantage Cooking Software users can purchase the Big Book of Freezer Cooking for $19.95 and receive the recipes from the book to import into the software for free! We realize that some of you may not have received a zip file containing recipes that can be imported easily into the 30 Day Gourmet Advantage Cooking Software. If you own the software, be sure to take advantage of these files. Here's how to access the files:

      1. Go to www.30daygourmet.com
      Click on the Members tab. Using the info on page 3 in your book, log in. Scroll down to the yellow box and follow the directions.

      Enjoy planning your cooking days!

      ANATOMY OF A MARINADE

      Since I announced that we are looking for marinade recipes for the Freezer Cook of the Month Contest this summer, I thought it would be great to talk about marinades in general. Did you ever wonder how a a marinade works?

      Marinades contain three major components. The first is an acidic ingredient. Marinades actually causes a chemical reaction that breaks down the connective tissue in the meat and tenderizes it (also called denaturing). The chemical reaction is caused by certain enzymes (bromelin, actinidin, papain, etc.) or acids that naturally occur in some foods. Not only do these enzymes or acids break down the meat but they also flavor it at the same time. Some examples of these enzymes or acids are:

      • Citrus juices, such as lemon, lime or orange juice
      • Pineapple
      • Kiwi, papaya, figs and mangoes
      • Yogurt
      • Buttermilk
      • Vinegars (balsamic or apple cider are commonly used)
      • Wines or other alcohol
      • Tomatoes

      The second critical ingredient is an oil or fat. Olive oil and canola oil are two typical oils you will see in marinade recipes. The oil helps the marinade adhere to the meat. It also helps the marinade penetrate deeper into the meat. If you are using yogurt as your acidic ingredient, it can also count as a fat if you use a full fat plain yogurt.

      The third ingredient is a mix of seasonings to flavor the meat. These are also called aromatics. They include herbs, spices, and vegetables. Typical seasonings combinations used in marinades include:

      • Ginger and soy sauce

      • Ginger, onion, and garlic

      • Parsley, oregano, and pepper

      • Garlic and cumin

      • Rosemary and garlic

      • Hot peppers, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vinegar, and brown sugar

      • Cayenne and parsley

      Some seasonings provide a strong burst of flavor. Strong flavorings include Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, and mustards. You have to be careful when pairing seasonings with the acidic components. Strong flavors can overpower other flavors so watch your flavor combinations!

      Good luck creating your new flavor combinations!

      COOKING FOR SUMMER

      I promised I would share my summer menu with you. This year I am trying something different. Instead of planning out the months in advance, I've had several mini-cooking sessions as I have found meats on sale this summer. Every time I find a sale, I make a couple more recipes and I update my Meal Inventory Worksheet. I just look at what we have in the freezer and plan my meals for the week based on my inventory or something special I want to make based on what's on sale. If you know me, this just does not sound like my style! I usually plan everything out far in advance. Well, so far it has worked out well for our family and our summer schedules. I generally have the on hand items I need to prepare any meal. Here's what I have made so far this summer:

      Dinners

      Lunches

      What recipes have you made this summer? Share your summer cooking experience with us on the Cooks' Corner message boards or our 30 Day Gourmet fan page on Facebook®.

      CONTEST WINNERS

      Our Freezer Cook of the Month is Myrna! She posted a recipe on the Cooks' Corner message boards for Tangy Orange Marinade. I served the recipe to my family and everyone liked it! The chicken was so moist and full of flavor. The sesame oil is a nice twist on your traditional marinade. Try it yourself!

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      I was unable to reach Myrna before the newsletter went out, so we will have to meet her next month. You too can get in on the winning by posting your funny story, good deed, cooking tip, assembly day story, favorite recipe, etc. on the Cook's Corner Message Board under the appropriate category, or email it to me at  carol@... to be entered in our contest. This summer we are looking for your favorite marinade recipes!

      Good luck, everyone!

      BONUS RECIPES

      I love grilling in the summer! Here are some of the new recipes that I have been serving at my house this summer. Two of the recipes are side dishes that aren't for the freezer. I couldn't resist sharing them with you! It's so nice to be able to make the whole meal on the grill. Enjoy the recipes!

      Garlic Lime Chicken

      Our family has been testing the high fiber/low fat wraps that you find at your local grocery store. Each wrap is only 90 calories but has 9 grams of fiber. That's almost a third of your daily requirements. Our favorite brands are the Flat Out wraps (the Italian seasoned wraps are wonderful), wraps from the La Tortilla Factory, and the Aldi original or multi-grain wraps. They taste great and they really fill you up. This is one of my favorite summer wrap recipes. We like to add Lime Rice (from the Big Book of Freezer Cooking), Mango Salsa (from the Big Book of Freezer Cooking), and black beans to the wrap. The flavor combination is incredible!

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Grilled Garlic Parmesan Asparagus

      I shared this recipe on the 30 Day Gourmet fan page on Facebook® for Memorial Day weekend. We loved the smokiness of the grilled asparagus and the freshly shredded Parmesan cheese gave it a wonderful flavor.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Grilled Red Potatoes

      I tried cooking these on the grill in a foil packet. It worked great! The potatoes had lots of flavor and were so convenient to make. While this is not a freezer recipe, it is an excellent accompaniment to some of the great marinade recipes found on the 30 Day Gourmet web site.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Simply Sweet Salmon Glaze

      Salmon is so easy to prepare! If you don't want to cook it on the grill you can bake it the oven. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes depending on the thickness of the salmon. Dinner can be on the table in less than half an hour (depending on your sides)! Try serving this dish with some long grain and wild rice and a fresh green salad.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I hope you enjoy the recipes for the grill. Next month I hope to share some more summer marinade recipes with you and maybe some great freezer dessert recipes for those hot summer days.

      I'm looking for your best marinade recipes and for your stories of  your cooking days. Post your favorite recipes on the Cook's Corner Message Board or email me at carol@...Or do you have any other topics that you would like me to cover? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      See you in July.