June 2009 "Chewin' the News" from Carol

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      July 2005 Chewin' the News

      June 2009 - Planning for Large Gatherings, Bonus Recipes and More!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      FREEZER COOK OF THE MONTH WINNER

      BONUS RECIPES

      Berry Shortcakes

      Simple Summer Marinades

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Welcome summer! The weather has definitely changed and summer is in full swing at our house. My twin boys, Josh and Steven, graduated from high school and we hosted the graduation party right after the ceremony. It is so hard to believe that my little boys are not little anymore. Time flies by so quickly! If you have little ones, enjoy this time them. They will be grown up before you know it.

      Planning a graduation party is a little like planning a reunion or large family get together. There are so many things that you can do ahead of time. We used a lot of tried and true recipes from the 30 Day Gourmet website. First we spoke with the boys and came up with list of foods that they would like to serve at their party. We had hosted a party four years ago when their sister graduated. We discussed what they liked and disliked when we had her party and then picked recipes based on their input.

      Once we had a list of the foods we were going to serve, we also did some time and money comparison shopping. For example, it is better to make five pounds of meatballs with ground chuck at 1.79 a pound or is it better to buy them premade at 6.00 a five pound bag? Is it better to buy a 2 pound tub of premade potato or pasta salad at 7.00 or make it yourself? Is it better to buy a large tray (half sheet) of frosted brownies for 12.99 or make your own? After a lot of comparisons we ended up buying some items, such as the meatballs, to save either time or money but we ended up making our own for most of the recipes. To save even more money we cooked a turkey that we had purchased for .39 a pound and used the meat to make several dishes. Several members of our family also brought dishes to help out with the party. What a lifesaver!

      My daughter came home from Seattle the day before the party to help us with a mini cooking day to finish up those recipes that we did not freeze (we ran out of room in the freezer!). It was great spending time in the kitchen cooking with her. It brings back memories of past cooking days. We had so much fun cooking together!

      The party was a hit! We had a great time with our friends and family. There were several  great comments about the food and how everyone enjoyed the recipes. Of course we told everyone about 30 Day Gourmet and how we were able to put together such a great spread. Here are the recipes that we served at the party.

      Purchased

      Hamburgers (time saver)

      Chicken Nuggets (time saver)

      BBQ Meatballs (money saver)

      Swedish Meatballs (money saver)

      Pasta Salad (time saver)

      Homemade

      Crock Pot Mac and Cheese (from The Freezer Cooking Manual)

      Montreal Chicken Sandwiches

      Turkey Wreath (2)

      Tex Mex Wreath (2)

      Pepperoni Pizza Bread

      Veggie Platter with Dip

      Meat and Cheese Platter

      Mexican Dip and Chips

      Chips and Homemade Mango Salsa

      No Bake Cookies (from the Members Only section)

      Chocolate Chip Cookies

      Pecan Pie Bars

      Lemon Squares

      Ginger Snaps

      Mini Cheesecakes

      Brownies with Homemade Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting (YUM!)

      Brought by Family

      Fruit Salad

      Cocktail Wieners in BBQ Sauce

      Baked Beans

      Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

      CONTEST WINNERS

      Freezer Cook of the Month Winner

      Our Freezer Cook of the Month  is Cooks' Corner member Laurie S. I tested her recipe for Tropical Island Bread during my last cooking session. It is great! My husband loved the recipe. It is a nice break from traditional Banana Bread.

      I was unable to reach the author of this recipe, so we'll have to meet them next month. Cooks' Corner member Laurie S, if you read this, please contact me at carol@... to claim your prize.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      It is great to hear how freezer cooking can really make a difference in your life!

      So, how do you make 30 Day Gourmet work for you?  How do you use it to help you deal with a challenge in your life?  How do you use it to help others?  Do you have a funny cooking story or a recipe to share? Email me at  carol@... or post your story on the Cook's Corner Message Board to be entered in our contest.

      BONUS RECIPES

      Berry Shortcakes

      My son has been making these for years. It it nice to have the shortcakes in the freezer so you can quickly serve them for dessert during berry season. We love them with strawberries and blueberries for a patriotic flair. You can use any fruit that you like. We have even used bananas in the past for those who do not like berries. Enjoy!

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Simple Summer Marinade

      Cooking on the grill is an everyday occurrence at our house in the summertime. I am always looking for marinade recipes and new things to cook on the grill. If you look in my freezer in the summer you will find it filled with marinated meats. We recently tried this recipe and it was great! We used pork loin chops when we tested it but chicken would work as well.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I hope you enjoy the recipes and your summer. It is great to get outside and spend time with family and friends. I am still looking for summertime recipes to share with everyone. Post your favorite recipes on the Cook's Corner Message Board or email me at carol@....

      Next month I will share my summer cooking day adventures with you and the lessons I learned from this cooking session. I always seem to learn something every time I cook. Need some inspiration? Check out Lou Ann's posting of her last cooking day. It sure inspired me to get my cooking day in before it gets too hot.

      Do you have any other topics that you would like to cover? Do you have any cooking questions that need to be answered? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      Have a great summer, everyone. See you next month.

      If you still have problems, please let me know at  carol@...