January 2009 "Chewin' the News" from Carol

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2009
      July 2005 Chewin' the News

      January 2009 -  Cooking Goals, Chocolate and Baking Recipes!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      FREEZER COOK OF THE MONTH WINNER

      Buttermilk Rolls

      Walnut Orange Muffins

      BONUS RECIPES

      Deb's Reese's® Peanut Butter Cookies

      Crispy S'Mores Bars

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Happy New Year everyone and welcome winter! Winter has hit here with a vengeance. It has been cold for months and we have had a ton of snow this winter. The weather seems to put everyone into hibernation mode in our neighborhood. It usually puts me in a reflective mood. I tend to spend time evaluating what I did last year and how I want to approach things differently this year.

      I always set up budget goals for the year. This year it seems even more important with the state of the economy. Every place I can save money in the budget is money that can put towards paying off debt or saving for our emergency fund.

      My cooking is no exception. I look at the family recipes. If the cost of a certain ingredient has gone up considerably over the last year, I will only use it in moderation. Take cheese, for example. Over the last year the price of an 8 ounce bag of shredded cheese has gone from $2 (not on sale) to $3 or more. Taking this fact into consideration I will go through my recipes and find the ones that use a large quantity of cheese and replace it with a recipe that is less expensive to make. Or I can wait until cheese goes on sale to make those recipes.

      I also plan to use the On-Hand Inventory List (from The Freezer Cooking Manual) more this year for my cooking days. This helps save money in several ways. First, I will only purchase the items that I need for my cooking day. No need to buy an ingredient if it is already in the pantry. I also use the list as an inspiration for recipes to make. If I have 10 boxes of spaghetti on hand I could make Chicken Tetrazzini (from The Freezer Cooking Manual), Meatballs for Spaghetti and Meatballs (Master Meat Mix from The Freezer Cooking Manual), or Chicken Patties for Chicken Parmesan  (members can access online)

      I am also going to make sure my price book is up to date. Like most people I tend to let things "slide" through the holidays. Now I need to update my book and make sure I can spot a good sale. Do you need help getting started with your price book? Click here to take a look at the different methods I have used in the past to build mine. This time I will be using the quick comparison (Method 2).

      Give it a try! It's a great way to keep track of prices for the items you buy on a regular basis.

      CONTEST WINNERS

      Freezer Cook of the Month Winner

      Our Freezer Cook of the Month  is Rhea from Bakersfield, CA. She posted a story about how she uses left over buttermilk after making her homemade fried chicken. She posted several recipes on the Cooks' Corner Message Board that were great! Click here to read her posting. I tried several of the recipes. Here are two of my favorites.

      Buttermilk Rolls

      I enjoy making fresh rolls for my family. These rolls have a wonderful texture and they do not dry out like other rolls can. This recipe was written for the bread machine but you could make it by hand or with the use of a mixer with a bread hook. Give this recipe a try. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Walnut Orange Muffins

      I will definitely be adding this recipe to my 30 Day Gourmet recipe binder. It reminds me of some muffins that I sometimes purchase at the local bakery. They are moist and delicious. If you do not like walnuts, you can use pecans instead.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      BONUS RECIPES

      Anyone out there a chocoholic? Here are some of my favorite chocolate cookie/dessert recipes on the 30 Day Gourmet web site. Some of these recipes are also great to make for school valentines parties. They are a hit with older kids as well.

      Almost Candy Bar Brownies (members can access online)

      Black and White Striped Cookies

      Brownie Bites

      Chocolate Cheerio Bars

      Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls

      Chocolate Peanut Clusters

      Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

      Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

      Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

      Frozen Candy Bars

      Frozen Peanut Butter Bars

      Malted Chocolate Chunk Cookies

      Muddy Buddies

      No-Bake Cookies (members can access online)

      Oreo Truffles

      Here are some new recipes that I have recently added to my list of favorites. I hope you enjoy them too.

      Deb's Reese's® Peanut Butter Cookies

      This is a recipe I got from my friend Deb at her Christmas cookie exchange. They are so good. Every time that I have made the recipe, the cookies have disappeared before I had a chance to take pictures for the newsletter. So there are no pictures of this recipe but trust me they are great cookies.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Crispy S'Mores Bars

      The first time I made these bars my teenage sons ate half a pan before I realized it. They are very chocolaty and are a great "fix" for that chocolate craving. You can use any chocolate flavored cereal for the bars such as Cocoa Krispies® or Cocoa Pebbles®.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I hope you enjoy all the baking recipes. I love to bake in the winter. It warms my kitchen and makes the house feel homey.

      Do you have any other topics that you would like to cover? Do you have any cooking questions that need to be answered? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      Best wishes to you and your family this New Year!

      If you still have problems, please let me know at  carol@...