129November 2010 "Chewin' the News" from Carol

  • Carol Santee
    Nov 24, 2010
      July 2005 Chewin' the News

      November 2010 - The Holidays Are Here!!

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      BONUS RECIPES

      Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

      Turkey Sausage Pasta Toss

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      KITCHEN FUN WITH CAROL

      Hello everyone and Happy Holidays! I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving this week. I am looking forward to spending time with the family. We were invited to two meals this year and we are hosting one. It's been fun planning our meal. Our before meal hors d'oeuvres include veggie platter with dip, cheese ball and crackers, and chips and salsa. The menu for the meal includes turkey, stuffing (fruit based recipe similar to the one in the Holiday Freezer Cooking ebook), rolls, potatoes, salad, fresh steamed green beans, beer bread and multiple desserts. I am still trying to find some time to make some Pumpkin Butter. YUM!

      The holidays are upon us and it is time to start planning! This time of year can be completely crazy - decorations, shopping, parties, school concerts, cookie exchanges, etc. However, freezer cooking can be a tremendous help during the busy season. If you have not had a chance, check out our Holiday Freezer Cooking ebook. The ebook gives you all the recipes you need to freeze an entire meal plus much more. Click here to see a list of the recipes included in this ebook. You can also try out the Sweet Potato Soufflé, the Celebration Salad and the Merry Kiss-Mousse Pie for free!

      Still need help planning? Check out our Holiday Menu Planning To Do List below. Click here to download a copy to print off at home!

      Holiday Menu Planning

      To Do List

      Action Item

      Date Due

      Fourth Week of November

      Send out invitations (if not already done) for any parties, potlucks, open houses or gatherings you are planning. Plan your menus for these gatherings and freeze as many recipes as you can!

      Plan your hostess gifts for parties that you are attending.

      Check your newspaper or community information centers and plan your family activities for the month. Make sure you plan your monthly menu around these activities.

      First Week of December

      Plan your menu for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

      Purchase your frozen turkey or place your order for a fresh one.

      Plan your baking days. Make sure to plan at least one day to make frosted cookies with the kids! This is fun for everyone.

      Start your freezer cooking for the holiday – hors d’oeuvres, side dishes, desserts, etc. Remember to fill out your Recipe Inventory Checklist as you complete your recipes.

      Start planning and making gifts from the kitchen.

      Second Week of December

      Review your holiday menu. Make any freezer safe dishes that have not been made.

      Plan your Christmas morning breakfast. (This is a great tradition to start if you have not. My family always asks for their favorite dishes on Christmas morning.)

      Third Week of December

      Make a list of any perishable items you need for your holiday menu.

      Cross check your menu with your Recipe Inventory Checklist. Make any recipe that needs to be made.

      Christmas Week

      Pick up any last minute groceries.

      Defrost any dishes and your turkey, roast, or ham. Remember, for turkey you need to allow 24 hours of defrosting time for every 4 to 5 pounds.

      If you need some recipe ideas for the holidays, a great source for recipes is the 30 Day Gourmet web site! Click here to access our recipe database. Choose the kind of recipe you're looking for (Side and Salad, Bread and Breakfast, etc.) and scroll through the list to see what sounds good to you. There are hundreds of recipes to choose from. There are lots of recipes on the web site that would make great last minute gifts. Some of my favorites are White Chocolate Snowmen (from the January 2007 newsletter), Hot Cocoa Mix, Pasta Fagioli Soup Mix, Peppermint Patties, Brown Sugar Cinnamon Coffee Cake, Brownie Bites, Pretzel Turtles, and Holiday Jar Cookies.

      BONUS RECIPES

      To make the holidays a little less hectic it is great to have some recipes on hand that can be cooked in the slow cooker (a real time saver when you have all that Christmas shopping) or can be tossed together quickly! Here are a couple of my time saving recipes.

      Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

      This recipe is a splurge calorie wise but it is wonderful! We love it because it cooks in the slow cooker all day which makes serving dinner so easy after a long day. The sauce is rich and it is easy to put together on assembly day.

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      Turkey Sausage Pasta Toss

      This is a great recipe to have on hand in the freezer. It is very versatile. You can cook the sauce in the slow cooker and serve it over freshly cooked pasta. Or you can toss it with cooked pasta and reheat it in the oven. The turkey sausage helps cut down on the amount of fat in the recipe.

      Enjoy!

      Click here to view/print this recipe!

      CLOSING COMMENTS FROM CAROL

      I hope you enjoyed my holiday menu planning to do list. I would love to hear about your tips, suggestions, and favorite holiday recipe. Post your stories and recipes on the Cook's Corner Message Board, on the 30 Day Gourmet Facebook fan page,  or email me at carol@...Or do you have any other topics that you would like me to cover? Email me at carol@.... I enjoy hearing from you!

      See you in December with some holiday recipes.

      If you still have problems, please let Carol know at  carol@...