PLEASE WELCOME OUR NEW MEMBER Tadeusz Dubicki

  • Chris K
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013

      My father flew with Polish Air Force, late 1943 until end of war. His name was Leon Dubicki (P2581 Flt. Lt. Bomb aimer based Faldingworth Lincs.)

      My father died 1996, and did not speak much about his war experiences. I would like to know more about 300 Squadron, and would be able to upload copies of war time photos (Lancaster crew) to any interested parties. His war service, previous to PAF was in North Africa at Tobruk and prior to that in Polish Cavalry I believe, but my knowledge of this is very limited.

      Regards
      Tadeusz Dubicki
      Seaview, Isle of Wight, UK

      -------------------------------------
      Witaj Tadeusz,

      Welcome to our on-line community. You are most welcome to explore our website, the links, files and photo albums. You can create your own album and upload photos as well. Please complete the polls we have for members.

      We are all here on a journey - and you are most welcome to join the journey with us. We are available to assist you as we can.

      Pozdrowienia
      Chris K

    • Neville
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2013
        Welcome Tadeusz,

        I would be very interested to know how your father arrived here in England from Tobruk (presumably Army) and then became a member of 300 Squadron. Do you know how he made the switch from Army to PAF and how he got here?

        Neville Bougourd
      • gregorydrozdz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
          faldingworthmemorials.co.uk is a good site to visit, including a translation of my father's war diary for late 1944 onwards.

          Best wishes

          Greg Drozdz
        • tadeusz2457
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
            Greetings Neville,

            I'm afraid I know very little about my father's war service as it was a subject he didn't speak much about. You are right that he started his service in the army/cavalry units as I think he saw action on western front at onset of invasion in 1939 ( he would have been about 22/23 yrs. old then ). He did speak of being in the Tatry mountains on service as well, so could have been involved with some sort of border control force. After the fall of Poland, I believe the army was disbanded and had to regroup in N. Africa, each person making his own way. He either evaded capture or escaped on two occasions en route. How he finally arrived N. Africa, I do not know. His transition to PAF came about because he volunteered for service in the air force ( I think they wanted volunteers because of shortage of air crew. ) He came to Britain via troop ship, I think sailing from Durban and possibly via USA. He did mention being on board the SS Devonia a British India Line troop ship. This was the second of two troop ships that sailed, the first was sunk in S. Atlantic with massive loss of life including Italian POWs. His arrival in Britain was autumn 43, his first entry in his log book being 15.10.43. As far as I know these are the main facts, of the earlier details I cannot be completely sure. Many Poles must have come to join 300 squadron the same way, so I would be interested to hear any stories that are similar.
            Best wishes,
            Tadeusz
          • Neville
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2013
              Hello Tadeusz,

              Thank you for your reply. I think you mean the SS Arandora Star which was sunk in the North Atlantic, off Ireland, as you say with massive loss of life. They were mostly Italian and German internees, with a significant number of Allied guards.

              I think the SS Devonia is more likely - and its voyage should be traceable! The Arandora Star did not cross the Atlantic - although many others did. If I can find out the details, I will let you know.

              Neville