Re: [300PolishSquadron] Stanislaw Krzymowski

  • jhoseason@paston.co.uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      Dear Janusz

      Hope the following helps - he trained at Manchester Ringway airport
      with the Polish Paras / special forces (Cichociemni). Polish
      parachute training was far more advanced than the British forces at
      the outbreak of the war.

      The details are:
      Parachute badge number 0001/1962

      Rank Major, Polish Airforce, Special Section C in C, AK (Home Army)

      Hope this helps,

      Julian

      Quoting Janusz <jzaporski@...>:

      > Hello
      >
      > I was searching in Google for "Zaporski rodzina" and I found a site:
      >
      > http://pulawy.powiat.pl/interesant/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=4&Itemid=37
      >
      > There is an article "BOHATER TRZECH WOJEN" about the life of
      > Stanislaw Krzymowski who used a false name of Stefan Zaporski when
      > he was on a secret mission in occupied Poland in WWII. The article
      > is in Polish which I didn't understand much-From other sources I
      > learnt that he dropped by parachute in Poland during a very
      > hazardous flight from England. I learnt details of this flight in
      >
      > https://dspace.stir.ac.uk/bitstream/1893/929/1/z%20Thesis.pdf
      >
      > Do you know any other site in English about his life (I understood
      > that he died in Montreal)?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Janusz

    • Victor J Benz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        Julian;

        Thanks for the info on Stanislaw Krzymowski. Where did you get the
        information for the Cichociemni?

        I suspect my grandfather did much the same thing, but broke his leg in
        training and returned to the Polish Air Force. He was Group Captain
        Kazimierz Benz. I have the dates from his service log, and a copy of the
        accident report, but the service record only says (in Polish) to army and
        from army.

        Would you have any information on him? I can supply the dates if that helps.

        I also note that when I approached PUMST (Polish Underground Movement
        Study Trust) for copies of the records of my parents, they also gave me A
        bit on Kazimierz as a member of the AK, something I never knew.

        --
        Victor Benz
        Rural Route #2, Site 202
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          Victor, possibly I shall be able to help. I know a proper man to ask.

        • Janusz Zaporski
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
            Hi

            Thanks for the help but I would be very grateful if anybody could help in translating the article in the link I mentioned (see below)

             http://pulawy.powiat.pl/interesant/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=4&Itemid=37

            Unfortunately I understand very little of the Polish language and it looks to me that this is an fantastic story of an extraordinary man-One of the many unsung heroes of WWII but it looks like he participated in 3 wars.....