Odwaga i Nadzieja

  • Frances
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011

      This is a short film of the ceremony held in Poland in August to launch a book about two Polish air crews tragically shot down while flying supplies to the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944.  The book is in Polish only  - the title translating as   Courage and HopeThe film is unfortunately in Polish only, but interesting nevertheless.

      The lost aircraft were -Halifax JP 295 and Liberator EW 275 from Polish Special Duties Squadron 1586   - and the book's author is Aleksander Gucwa, also responsible for building a monument  to the Halifax crew in 2009 at Banica, the site of the crash.
      Following the book launch there was a ceremony and mass held at the monument and this is also included on this film.

      My father was a member of the Halifax crew and I have been very fortunate to be able to meet other families of crew members both in 2009 and also this year.  At the book launch I had the great pleasure to meet Piotr Hodyra, one of the speakers - while another speaker was Krzysztof Mroczkowki from the Aviation Museum in Krakow.

      http://youtu.be/3xLK696L_AY

      Frances