RE: [300PolishSquadron] Linda back from Poland

  • linda summerfield
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2010

      Good afternoon Lucyna I am hoping you have directed this at me.  If not I apologise, but I will proceed to tell you about my Polish Trip anyway as it was my first trip to Poland.

      I went with my 14 year old Daughter and obviously was a little worried about her reaction as it was her first trip overseas.  I need not have worried – we had an amazing time and miraculously the entire 7 days went without a cross word.  We enjoyed it immensely for many reasons; our Hotel, Gotyk House in Gdansk was small but in one of the finest locations in the City and in what is known as the most beautiful street in Gdansk “Mariacka” and although I wouldn’t call it beautiful (not because it doesn’t deserve it) but I would rather say it is one of the most charming, magical streets in Gdansk; made even more so by it being right next to the St Mary’s Church – the largest red brick church building in the world.   We flew out just a few days after the Polish President’s plane came down in Russia and was worried about Poland being in mourning but it really didn’t affect our stay.  I’m sure there weren’t as many street entertainers nor theatres or cinema;  we went not to be entertained but instead to see Poland, my father’s birthplace.  It was an incredible experience; everything flowed.  We both fell in love with Gdansk, with it’s architecture that had been painstakingly restored after WWII, with the food which was unbelievably good value and being vegetarians we were truly spoilt for choice, along with the transport system and last but not least the Polish people who we found to be warm and friendly and ever patient with my dreadful pronunciation of some of the simplest of sentences.  We travelled a great deal whilst there and one of the most poignant moments of our trip was scouting around Gdansk after leaving our bags at the hotel, bearing in mind we had been up from 3am and we stumbled upon Gdansk station around 1pm, having fed ourselves previously for the equivalent of £5 for two in the Greenway Restaurant in Dluga Street which runs parallel with Mariacka.  Fed and exhausted but content, we walk about 10 minutes to Gdansk station where we see the SMK (Blue and Yellow Train) to Wejherowo (my father’s birthplace)  and so within seconds we had purchased our tickets which cost the equivalent of £1 each and found ourselves sitting on the train.   Within minutes we were on our way to Wejherowo.   Station after station and Graffiti heaven which for some reason made me warm to the Tricity even more, we passed stops upon stops, probably nearly 30, until we reached Wejherowo.  We had no idea what to expect.  It was a very pleasant first meeting with my dad’s birthplace.   The late afternoon sun was casting an almost ethereal glow and although cold, it was warm.  Just 5 minutes walking and we find ourselves passing my dad’s old school, and in Wejherowo’s main town square where my daughter was in shopping heaven.  I have never seen as many shoe shops – all different.  All with different merchandise.  It was amazing.  We visited every single shoe shop, we visited every chocolate shop and again just like the rest of the Tricity, the buildings were bathed in gentle pastel colours which complimented perfectly the varied and interesting shapes of the buildings.    It had started to get dusk by the time we finished shopping – we hadn’t planned this shopping trip, it just happened J  It was a bonus.  When we got to Wejherow station – it was dusk and yet although I was alone with my daughter I didn’t feel threatened and felt very safe.  Getting back to Gdansk – it was dark – we decided to walk from the station back to the Hotel – there were lots of people about and not once did I feel unsafe.

      All in all it was a very enjoyable trip and I will definitely be going back there.

      Thank you Lucyna for giving me the opportunity to wax lyrical about my new love…..  Poland.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2010

        Linda

        I am so overjoyed that you had such a great time.

        I remember that you initially told me that this would probably be your ONLY trip to Poland – and here you are planning your next trip.

        You aren’t the only one who has had that sort of reaction.

        After each of my trips I crave to start planning my next --  there is always so much more to see and discover.

        Sometimes I am just sitting here and wishing I were having a cup of tea and a Polish donut on Krakowskie Przedmiescie In Warsaw -   with Ziggy (the Column of King Zygmunt) in sight.

        For your next trip you need to include Krakow and Warsaw – and meet up with some of our members over there

        Lucyna

      • Frances Gates
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010

          I dream about sitting in A. Blikle's cafe in ul. Nowy Swiat, Warsaw, sipping kawa and eating szarlotka, watching the world go by.

          Frances
        • Lucyna Artymiuk
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2010

            Lulu and I are with you Frances

            Bikles is one choice – u Literatow is another -  but my favourite is opposite the Bristol –

            Lucyna

          • Frances Gates
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2010
              Oooh yes - I've been to the one opposite the Bristol.  Is Literatow close to Plac Zamosć?  If so - I woz there too.

              I miss everything.

              Frances
            • Lucyna Artymiuk
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2010

                U LITERATOW is opposite Ziggy

                Has amazing guest rooms on 4th floor – NO LIFT – 81 steps one way – fantastic view from guest room over the rooftops of the Stare Miasto

                Lucyna