Re: Finding and Tracing Former Aircrew

  • Chris K
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010

      The following information comes from the Rob Davis website www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/  It is an excellent site and has many interesting articles including one on Bomber Command.

      --- In 300PolishSquadron@yahoogroups.com, "Lucyna Artymiuk" <lucynaartymiuk@...> wrote:

      > I found this interesting article a while back. I cant remember where on
      > line. It is aimed at Anglo aircrew and there are specific Polish addresses
      > which are more relevant for us eg Barbara Kroll at RAF Northholt and the
      > Sikorski Institute in London. But there may be some bits and pieces useful
      > for some of us
      >
      > Lucyna

      > Finding and Tracing Former Aircrew
      > Researching an Operational History

      > One - Gather every scrap of information about the individual, in
      > particular:- Full name, Service Number (this helps enormously with
      > officialdom), Pre-war town, city, village, or general address, pre-war
      > occupation, wartime service history (Squadron, Unit, or location, with
      > date(s) if possible), Any post-war information (known to have survived, or
      > known to have been killed). It is astonishing how even the most apparently
      > trivial snippet of information can turn out to be the key piece later on, so
      > never throw away anything. Also, read through your notes often, to keep the
      > information sharp in your mind.

      etc   <snip>

    • Frances Gates
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010

        Another excellent site in the UK is www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com

        The webmaster of this site, Kelvin Youngs, has a half-brother whose father, a Polish airman, was lost shortly after the war's end .  Details of Polish losses shown on this site are currently listed under RAF 'losses'.

        I have recently placed a short article on the site containing the story of the evolution of a monument which was dedicated to my father and his crew  on 28 August 2009 - 65 years after the loss of their aircraft - Halifax JP 295.  The article can be found under the heading 'news' - and is titled Banica Memorial - Poland.

        Kelvin is very interested in the Polish Airforce - and would be happy to assist in any way possible.

        Best wishes to all.

        Frances

        > I found this interesting article a while back. I cant remember where on
        > line. It is aimed at Anglo aircrew and there are specific Polish addresses
        > which are more relevant for us eg Barbara Kroll at RAF Northholt and the
        > Sikorski Institute in London. But there may be some bits and pieces useful
        > for some of us
        >
        > Lucyna
        >
        > ************ ********* ********* ********* ****
        > Finding and Tracing Former Aircrew
        > Researching an Operational History

        > One - Gather every scrap of information about the individual, in
        > particular:- Full name, Service Number (this helps enormously with
        > officialdom) , Pre-war town, city, village, or general address, pre-war
        > occupation, wartime service history (Squadron, Unit, or location, with
        > date(s) if possible), Any post-war information (known to have survived, or
        > known to have been killed). It is astonishing how even the most apparently
        > trivial snippet of information can turn out to be the key piece later on, so
        > never throw away anything. Also, read through your notes often, to keep the
        > information sharp in your mind.

        etc   <snip>

      • Lucyna Artymiuk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010

          Thanks Chris

          I knew I could count on your detective skills

          Lucyna